Powder Brown Tang and Yellow Tang in same 125G tank?

Fresh2Salt95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only a few fish right now:

1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Purple Orchid Dottyback
1 Firefish
1 Green Chromi
2 Clownfish

I have a 125 gallon tank with a lot of live rock and wanted to add some tangs to make it look prettier and also to eat the algae I'm having a problem with.

I've read different shaped tangs shouldn't have a problem with each other, but I wanted to get you guys advice.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only a few fish right now:

1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Purple Orchid Dottyback
1 Firefish
1 Green Chromi
2 Clownfish

I have a 125 gallon tank with a lot of live rock and wanted to add some tangs to make it look prettier and also to eat the algae I'm having a problem with.

I've read different shaped tangs shouldn't have a problem with each other, but I wanted to get you guys advice.
It’s not impossible but you will most likely find the PBT will need a larger tank (6-7’ long) as it grows in size.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My powder brown tang is a monster. Powder browns and blues can both be very aggressive especially towards other tangs. I moved mine into my frags system because of his attitude. Had a beautiful copperband make it through 30 days of qt and It was eating frozen only to be killed by the powder brown with in a few hours. Just be aware they might not play well.
Jeff

OP
OP
F

Fresh2Salt95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powder brown tang is a monster. Powder browns and blues can both be very aggressive especially towards other tangs. I moved mine into my frags system because of his attitude. Had a beautiful copperband make it through 30 days of qt and It was eating frozen only to be killed by the powder brown with in a few hours. Just be aware they might not play well.
Jeff
Okay, then the powder brown is out.

What about a yellow tang with a tomini tang?

I'm new to tangs and am reading up on places like AlgaeBarn and others for tangs that would play well with each other.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If introduced at the same time without having been able to establish a territory, IME most will be fine. As mentioned previously, the PB would likely out grow a 125.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe a lot of tang aggression is for food. Survival instincts as in driving the food competition away. Also as most everyone will tell you all fish are somewhat different. The best thing you can do is either add them both at the same time or add the least aggressive fish first to get established. I believe the tomini would be best to add first followed by the yellow. If you qt your fish I have found many time the two fish will sometimes bond some being confined together learning how to live And feed in captivity. Many times the fish we buy have only been out of the ocean maybe only a few weeks at most.
Jeff

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yeah, I'm coming to find out the powder brown is usually aggressive.

A shame because it's really pretty, that's why I wanted it.

Maybe I can substitute it for a Foxface.
Tomini is my next favorite oh tangs are beautiful … little pucker lips haha

Fox faces are beast at taking out algae in the tank. I have two

OP
OP
F

Fresh2Salt95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a lot of tang aggression is for food. Survival instincts as in driving the food competition away. Also as most everyone will tell you all fish are somewhat different. The best thing you can do is either add them both at the same time or add the least aggressive fish first to get established. I believe the tomini would be best to add first followed by the yellow. If you qt your fish I have found many time the two fish will sometimes bond some being confined together learning how to live And feed in captivity. Many times the fish we buy have only been out of the ocean maybe only a few weeks at most.
Jeff
I have a ton of algae in my tank (which I'm not the most proud of, lol), so I don't think food would be a problem.

I also feed Omega One Marine Flakes, frozen foods, and pellets.

I'm sure I can find a veggie clip somewhere for some nori.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to Tango.JPG

I agree with @coralbeauties, having plenty of food reduces the aggression. Mine have been best buds for years now. The yellow had already been established in the tank when the Powder Brown was introduced. There was the initial "attitude posturing" which was easily sidetracked by the addition of a bit of nori each time they would swim by each other. It only took about an hour of this before they realized there was plenty of food to go around. (Either that or they just got too full to care anymore!;Vomit)
There was also a Foxface in before the PBT and a Copperband Butterflyfish added later with no problems.
Stacking fish, harder than herding cats.JPG

Of course I guess it helps if you have someone who likes to overfeed the fish like my wife does!;Playful
So yes, it's very doable.

Last edited:

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 yellow tangs, 1 purple, 1 tomini, 1 Blonde Naso, 1 Blue Hippo in a 300 and all is well..They were all in a 140 as the QT tank and were fine also...I also have 9 clowns and 6 Anthias to add what I think confusion/ distraction to the tank. The tank has a lot of ledges and swim throughs and I am sure this helps keep the peace.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back