Power loss!!

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just want everyone to know wats been happening the past couple days in my area.. I live in Silver Spring, MD and this past week we had 24 inches of snow... I did not expect the power to go out but it did.... Saturday at 8am... I thought it would go back on soon but turns out like 50,000 ppl in my county were without power!!! I had been commiting an ultimate sin... I had to heat up the tank before it got too cold which it already was freezing.. So i had been dumping hot TAP water in the tank to heat it up a bit.. The next morning NO power... I had to move fast..Then when i called PEPCO (power co) they said we wouldnt get power back until this Friday.. I freaked!!! Started pulling out all by coral all 25 pieces including various Acros (Garf Purple Bonsai, Red Planet, Joe the Coral, etc), Montis (superman, sunset, reverse sunset) and Chalices... Well over $3000 in coral. Im am so thankful that my LFS up the street that i have been going to since i was 13 (24 now.) had power and that the owner steve said he would "babysit" my coral until i got power and had my tank up and running... Put all my stiff in buckets and hauled it up in the snow and let me tell u it was NOT fun... Very hard to keep SPS and LPS apart while ur driving over barley plowed roads.. Water was everywhere in my car.. I am sooooo suprised that my coral beauty, mandarin goby, and two clearner shrimps survived.. My only loss was my yellow tang.. RIP in your kingdom of pipes.. LOL... I havent gone to the store yet to check on my corals but we are about to get another 10-20 inches of snow tonight.. AHhhh.. I hope i dont lose power again but all my stuff is not here... Thank god for Tropical Lagoon.. I got my power back on today by the way.. I will pick up my stuff on friday after i make sure the levels are OK...

OP
OP
Xler8n

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok loses are as follows..Joe the Coral is GONE!! Im very upset as that was starting to color up super nice.. Most of my montis lightened up with my sunset bleaching in the center.. hopefully it doesnt keep bleaching... My prized red planet acro started to bleach at the base and i kept an eye out on it.. It was my first mini colony and turns out i had to hack it up to stop it from bleaching.....
frown.gif
..Well see wat happens. .Its in 4 diff frags now.. Hydnophora is losing tissue as well.. I guess things could have been worse but i guess ORA acros are not hardy in power outages.. LOL.. I miss my joe the coral.. I paid $30 for a little branch and it grew into 3.. Now its dead,.. My purplr Bonsai is doing awesome though.. Ill post a pic... Its my fav...

This is my favorite piece.. The GARF purple bonsai Acro.. It is a beast.. Survived 50 degree and under water temp without even a trace of bleaching...

Attachments

• IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 114

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back