Power Outage!

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Power went out 45 minutes ago and is expected to be out another 3 hours or so. I have a battery backup for the return pump, but nothing for power heads. How long can my mixed reef survive with just the return pump on?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, my softy dominated tank was fine on four hours covered in blankets with no filters no powerheads no nothing. I had comforters and sleeping bags wrapping it and it was fine

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Power wound up being out about 2 hours and no problems I’ve noticed thus far.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a power outage unknown for how long. I have a clown fish and cleaner shrimp no other live stock. I have nothing running how long till I'm screwed my fish die? Panicking a bit :/

I should mention looks like the tank is sitting at 77.5 to 78 range atm I'm more worried about no flow. Idk if lack of flow will hurt the live stock.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently have a power outage unknown for how long. I have a clown fish and cleaner shrimp no other live stock. I have nothing running how long till I'm screwed my fish die? Panicking a bit :/

I should mention looks like the tank is sitting at 77.5 to 78 range atm I'm more worried about no flow. Idk if lack of flow will hurt the live stock.
Stir the water with a wooden spoon to create some flow, or use a cup to scoop and pour and repeat...

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stir the water with a wooden spoon to create some flow, or use a cup to scoop and pour and repeat...

Should I be doing this till the power turns back on? I was trying to keep the tank covered with a towel cause it was getting cooler over time now down to 77.4

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have some movement, for a relatively long time. You can keep your tank alive for multiple hours stirring it with a spoon if you have to.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh someone mentioned stirring with a spoon already lol

spiffyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a power outage for about 18 hours this week. I had a smaller UPC backup battery hooked up to the return pump and heater for my cube 20 - that died after about 1.5 hours. I switched over to two battery operated bubblers and covered the tank with a blanket overnight. All of my livestock and corals (I have no SPS though) survived the night. Temp dropped about 3 degrees by the time the power came back. I didn't stir the tank or anything outside of using the bubblers. The water smelled pretty bad when I turned the return pump back on, so I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop. But everything still seems fine a few days later and water parameters are okay. I have a small tank and that was stressful, so I can't imagine having a long power outside with a large DT. I think I will be looking into a generator even for my nano tanks since I'm located in MA and we do occasionally have power outages for several days during the winter. I hate the idea of losing any of my livestock or investment in corals.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back