Power outages and surge protectors?

tank o tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if anyone uses surge protectors on their reef equipment. After hearing this lady talking how she lost all her electronics in her house when the power came back on it made me think about my reef equipment. Do the controller (reefkeeper/apex) power bars have them? Will a gfci outlet pop and protect everything? Is their a better option than the monster ones sold for the entertainment center?

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the quality monster surge strips with a high joule number or leviton makes a surge suppressor that are hard wired into the house panel.
If the power has gone out for awhile I will turn off my main breaker until I know the power is permanently back on(it's typically off because the generator is running anyways)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always unplug the apex brain when the power goes out. I don't run it off generator power and wait until the mains is restored before reconnecting it. Newer apex seems overly sensitive. First time we lost power, upon restoration a bunch of my modules had been reassigned. PitA.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no power for us in Old Saybrook, north of I-95 area, Thank god for the generator or my tanks would be toast.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I install these all the time. Stop the surge before it enters the home. It mounts between the service and your meter, just be sure there allowed buy the utility co or they will take them.
50240-MSA.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know EverSource doesn't allow anything to be mounted in between the meter and meter pan, I don't normally deal with UI so I can't comment on them.

They installed one of those round ones outside my house between the meter and pan.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Lot of power co. rent these to customers or If your having problems in a area they will install them to cover their ars. In my area Detroit edison no longer provide the Meter Can or service wire and the homeowner is required to provide a UL approved meter socket, and the unit is. they don't like it and problems pop up and they are forced to back down.
I purchased several pallets of these from a power company(Delaware), and installed close to a hundred over 12 years and have had 1 so called failure, These are bullet proof

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back