Power outages and surge protectors?

Discussion in 'Connecticut Area Reef Society' started by tank o tang, Mar 8, 2018.

1. tank o tang

tank o tang Active Member

Just curious if anyone uses surge protectors on their reef equipment. After hearing this lady talking how she lost all her electronics in her house when the power came back on it made me think about my reef equipment. Do the controller (reefkeeper/apex) power bars have them? Will a gfci outlet pop and protect everything? Is their a better option than the monster ones sold for the entertainment center?

Tags:

2. Awesome Dennis

Awesome Dennis Active Member

One of the quality monster surge strips with a high joule number or leviton makes a surge suppressor that are hard wired into the house panel.
    If the power has gone out for awhile I will turn off my main breaker until I know the power is permanently back on(it's typically off because the generator is running anyways)

3. kgstei

kgstei Active Member CTARS Member

I use both the GFCI and surge protectors.

4. kgstei

kgstei Active Member CTARS Member

I use both the GFCI and surge protectors.

5. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I always unplug the apex brain when the power goes out. I don't run it off generator power and wait until the mains is restored before reconnecting it. Newer apex seems overly sensitive. First time we lost power, upon restoration a bunch of my modules had been reassigned. PitA.

6. JMetaxas

JMetaxas Active Member

Still no power for us in Old Saybrook, north of I-95 area, Thank god for the generator or my tanks would be toast.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  7. siggy

siggy Which way do I go R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

I install these all the time. Stop the surge before it enters the home. It mounts between the service and your meter, just be sure there allowed buy the utility co or they will take them.
    [​IMG]

Awesome Dennis likes this.
  8. Awesome Dennis

9. Awesome Dennis

Square D also sells panel mounted surge suppresors

IMG_8831.JPG

siggy and madweazl like this.
  10. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

They installed one of those round ones outside my house between the meter and pan.

siggy and Awesome Dennis like this.
  11. Awesome Dennis

Who?

12. siggy

siggy Which way do I go R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

A Lot of power co. rent these to customers or If your having problems in a area they will install them to cover their ars. In my area Detroit edison no longer provide the Meter Can or service wire and the homeowner is required to provide a UL approved meter socket, and the unit is. they don't like it and problems pop up and they are forced to back down.
    I purchased several pallets of these from a power company(Delaware), and installed close to a hundred over 12 years and have had 1 so called failure, These are bullet proof

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Awesome Dennis likes this.
  13. ca1ore

I have had it for a while. My utility is Eversource, but it may actually have been back when they called themselves CL&P that it was put in - don't entirely recall sorry.

IMG_0961.jpg

siggy and Awesome Dennis like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted