Power strip/bar

jfb2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to add a couple of power strips to my setup. Is there any worry using one of the coral life digital. I'm using 4 300 watt LED fixtures. I don't want to worry about overloading and issues. The strips would also have pumps plugged into them. The LED fixtures have two plugs each, so eight total.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd either use a regular power strip that IS NOT THE CHEAPEST one you can find and a regular heavy duty appliance timer. They should be rated for 15 amps each, so buy accordingly.

Or, spend up for a Reefkeeper Lite package for $120. Works better than a regular timer and does so much more, including room for two upgrade modules and a metal halide restart timer to let the bulbs and ballast cool for the correct amount of time before allowing them to come back on. I ended up adding a second outlet strip, but you could get by with one for quite a while I think.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a number of years, but Coralife Power Strips were know to be house burners. Although they were UL listed, they were also know to light up and burn a couple houses. I had the same power strip labeled as Zilla, and got rid of it when I heard about the Coralife's (same power strip, different name) going up in smoke.

ZillaPowerStrip.jpg

Google it....I'm sure you'll find posts about this thing torching a couple houses.

AlexandraS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently running a 10 outlet strip from lows for my equipment which offers plenty of room between outlets for large plugs. Have a coral life strip for my light. Havent had any issues out of either one except accadentally splashing water on 10 outlet strip. Oops. Replaced the strip asap and covered it with a piece of pvc.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back