Powerhead and protein skimmer question/issue pls help

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm quite new to saltwater and tanks in general my family has always had tanks off and on and we live in hawaii so I know a lot but there's some technical issues that im having since this is my first personal saltwater aquarium.
I'm on month 2 or 3 of cycling I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank running all hob
I have clowns, neon dottyback, yellow tang, blue spot goby, and scooter blenny in the tank now. They are from my previous 20 gal that I had cycled for practice prior to getting the 75, but I never ran a skimmer or powerhead in that tank. They are all happy and doing great.

Powerhead:
1. I currently have one that runs 309 gph which I think is too small but the box said it was for 75 gal so idk, is it?

2.If I were to get a second of the same one would the overall gph for the tank add up or do I need to get a new system that has higher gph?

3. I'm currently running the airline on it to outside to bring in fresh air. Is that okay/good idea or no? I previously had it hooked up to an air pump.

Protein skimmer:
I got one about a month ago when I first hooked it up it was working well, only bringing out gross gunk. I haven't messed with the settings and now it is only bringing up water that looks clear no foam or nasty stuff and it keep filling in like a minute then over flowing going everywhere. I have 60 days to return it.
1. Is it broken and needs to be replaced with a better system, or have I done something wrong that I can fix?
2. If I can fix it how ? I've messed with the air port constantly getting where there's foam but no matter what I do I can't get it to work like it did for the first month.

Thank you I'm going crazy over here lol

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A protein skimmer should only take a week or two to correctly dial in. I sometimes have to adjust mine to make it better for the skim but not often. Yes sometimes it over flows but not often at all. If I’m adding something that will make the skimmer overflow, I’ll empty it, and turn it off on my apex for a while. What brand is your skimmer? Is it rated for your tank. As for flow in your tank, I would suggest a gyre or something that will give you surface agitation since it’s a fowlr tank. Get the gas exchange out of the tank and make the fish happier with the added oxygen.

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A protein skimmer should only take a week or two to correctly dial in. I sometimes have to adjust mine to make it better for the skim but not often. Yes sometimes it over flows but not often at all. If I’m adding something that will make the skimmer overflow, I’ll empty it, and turn it off on my apex for a while. What brand is your skimmer? Is it rated for your tank. As for flow in your tank, I would suggest a gyre or something that will give you surface agitation since it’s a fowlr tank. Get the gas exchange out of the tank and make the fish happier with the added oxygen.

The skimmer is a instant ocean sea clone 100 its for up to 100 gal., and as far as what its pulling is it normal to just get water i have its control shut right now but running for the agitation it gives

20201028_200136.jpg

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is a instant ocean sea clone 100 its for up to 100 gal., and as far as what its pulling is it normal to just get water i have its control shut right now but running for the agitation it gives

20201028_200136.jpg
Could take a while to get the right skim from it. Just be patient with it

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm quite new to saltwater and tanks in general my family has always had tanks off and on and we live in hawaii so I know a lot but there's some technical issues that im having since this is my first personal saltwater aquarium.
I'm on month 2 or 3 of cycling I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank running all hob
I have clowns, neon dottyback, yellow tang, blue spot goby, and scooter blenny in the tank now. They are from my previous 20 gal that I had cycled for practice prior to getting the 75, but I never ran a skimmer or powerhead in that tank. They are all happy and doing great.

Powerhead:
1. I currently have one that runs 309 gph which I think is too small but the box said it was for 75 gal so idk, is it?

2.If I were to get a second of the same one would the overall gph for the tank add up or do I need to get a new system that has higher gph?

3. I'm currently running the airline on it to outside to bring in fresh air. Is that okay/good idea or no? I previously had it hooked up to an air pump.

Protein skimmer:
I got one about a month ago when I first hooked it up it was working well, only bringing out gross gunk. I haven't messed with the settings and now it is only bringing up water that looks clear no foam or nasty stuff and it keep filling in like a minute then over flowing going everywhere. I have 60 days to return it.
1. Is it broken and needs to be replaced with a better system, or have I done something wrong that I can fix?
2. If I can fix it how ? I've messed with the air port constantly getting where there's foam but no matter what I do I can't get it to work like it did for the first month.

Thank you I'm going crazy over here lol
I will tackle 2 of your questions.

There is an airline on your powered? If so take it off, it should only push water around, not add bubbles. Some powerheads come with that option to use with a skimmer.

Your skimmer should have a way to adjust the water level in it. It should also have a lot of bubbles in it, if it does not then you need to look at the airline being kinked or clogged.

What part of Hawaii are you from? I was there 2x about 25 yrs ago, hanumanna Bay on oahu was amazing back then, I remember schools of yellow tangs swimming around.

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tackle 2 of your questions.

There is an airline on your powered? If so take it off, it should only push water around, not add bubbles. Some powerheads come with that option to use with a skimmer.

Your skimmer should have a way to adjust the water level in it. It should also have a lot of bubbles in it, if it does not then you need to look at the airline being kinked or clogged.

What part of Hawaii are you from? I was there 2x about 25 yrs ago, hanumanna Bay on oahu was amazing back then, I remember schools of yellow tangs swimming around.

Thank you and yes it came with a tube on it with a screw piece like the skimmer on the instructions it said its to bring oxygen to the tank I was confused but set it up like it said, so ill take it off thanks

It doesn't have a way to adjust the water level but ill try to empty it and restart from scratch with it see if that helps, it does have bubbles in it. I dont think I did started having issues till I did a water change cause of bacterial bloom.

I'm from ewa beach on Oahu, and yeah when the water is clear its beautiful out there, but sadly we don't see too many fish anymore cause there's so many people unless you go way out or some secret spots on the island not too many people know about. My dad used to always come home with new fish for the tanks after going out diving or snorkeling.

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey 808, just came across your post about the skimmer. did you ever get it dialed in?
from my experience the water level is key. you'll need to maintain a good water level whereas the bubbles can accumalate and froth to the top.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back