powerhead placement

notchsleeper80

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 16, 2013
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
powhatan, virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my 55 gal with some corals going and all is great so far. I recently got a powerhead for current but maybe my placement and aim is wrong. It's in the back corner on the side blowing straight across the back and very slightly downward. Current seems good but am worried about the flow across the bottom on the return, my Kenya trees are laying almost on their sides as things are right now. Just wanted some ideas on where your guys placed yours and how they're aimed. Any thoughts...
 
What type of powerhead is it? Amount of flow will also vary depending on what type of corals you are keeping.

I have one on either side of the tank about ten inches from the top, slightly off center.
 
Last edited:
I've got 4 powerheads, one on either side of the tank, pointing at each other, and the 2 others on the back wall bout 2' in on each side.
 
Most coral like turbulent flow. You may do better by getting smaller multiple powerheads and crossing their flow paths. I use 4 powerheads, plus 4 return nozzles to create turbulent flow by crossing paths. Rather than describe how I did it, here's a photo:

attachment.php
 
I have 2 Sicce voyager 3 pumps in my 50 gallon tank. They are positioned about 4" from the top and the back. They are pointed to the top and slightly to the front.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new