powerhead placement

notchsleeper80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my 55 gal with some corals going and all is great so far. I recently got a powerhead for current but maybe my placement and aim is wrong. It's in the back corner on the side blowing straight across the back and very slightly downward. Current seems good but am worried about the flow across the bottom on the return, my Kenya trees are laying almost on their sides as things are right now. Just wanted some ideas on where your guys placed yours and how they're aimed. Any thoughts...

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of powerhead is it? Amount of flow will also vary depending on what type of corals you are keeping.

I have one on either side of the tank about ten inches from the top, slightly off center.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 4 powerheads, one on either side of the tank, pointing at each other, and the 2 others on the back wall bout 2' in on each side.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most coral like turbulent flow. You may do better by getting smaller multiple powerheads and crossing their flow paths. I use 4 powerheads, plus 4 return nozzles to create turbulent flow by crossing paths. Rather than describe how I did it, here's a photo:

attachment.php

rjcranor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Sicce voyager 3 pumps in my 50 gallon tank. They are positioned about 4" from the top and the back. They are pointed to the top and slightly to the front.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back