Powerhead turned off for the night?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I bought a tiny bubble tip anemone today for my 40B. It’s my very first anemone, so I’m extremely paranoid about it moving overnight into my powerhead. I decided to turn it off, and tomorrow morning I’ll either buy or 3D-print a nem guard. Will it be okay for the corals to have no flow for one night? I left my HOB filter on, but just don’t want to chance the possibility of the nem getting sucked into the wavemaker.

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no. Lack of flow... surface agitation and oxygenation can kill your corals

Codfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few anemones and I’ve left the flow off overnight, however they are not bubble-tip anemone and they are VERY hardy. I don’t know if bubble-tips are the same.

Codfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I bought a tiny bubble tip anemone today for my 40B. It’s my very first anemone, so I’m extremely paranoid about it moving overnight into my powerhead. I decided to turn it off, and tomorrow morning I’ll either buy or 3D-print a nem guard. Will it be okay for the corals to have no flow for one night? I left my HOB filter on, but just don’t want to chance the possibility of the nem getting sucked into the wavemaker.
Oh I didn’t even see the coral part my b

DavidsAquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Definitely will be fine hope he settles soon for ya!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant It would be fine to turn it off for the night until you can wrap the powerhead,I personally would keep it off just to be safe,Everything else will he fine
Ok, thanks! My bad, lol!
I actually managed to use an old fish breeder net I found and I made a temporary cage around the nem for the time being.
623CC320-7EF5-47C8-8466-39CAD7F977EE.jpeg

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have other types of circulation, from return pump or similar, then sure, you can turn off one pump, but if this is only mean of circulation, dont do it.....

Reducing flow during the night is probably ok, but not necessary

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get a mesh screen too and cover the power head with it. It’s worked for me in the past and doesn’t give you a surprise anemone smoothie :D

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen people recommend wrapping the powerhead in panty hose until they could get something more permanent. My only concern with that would be any chemicals that might be in the panty hose and I would wash it before use. Just an idea.

natecon40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Fish may have problems with less oxygen

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back