Pre cycle rock?

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I'm in the middle of my new tank build after my 20 year hiatus. Just trying to be proactive since I'm taking this very slowly with my research I was wondering what anybody thought about getting an early start on cycling some live rock mixed with dry. This way when I'm finally ready to fill my tank it's got a head start. If this is doable would I let the rock sit in saltwater in buckets? Would I then when ready transfer it into the new tank with the water they were soaking in or without? Does not transfering the water with the rock defeat the whole purpose? Thanks!

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply a great great idea!
Some flow, some water change.
Just the rock when ready. Water doesn’t hold much value, it’s the rocks which have magic.
Let them cook!
Definitely! I did the same, once in a brute can and another time in a cheap aqueon $ per gallon petco tank(buckets will work to). Definitely jump starts things. Compared to the one i did not do that with, these bypassed cyano and diatome blooms, streight to a little green algae phase that passed relatively quickly. Definitely recommend! As above, just make sure you have flow and keep the salinity relatively stable. Good luck on the new tank! :)

Brett7397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put dry marco rock in a brute trash can after I designed my scape. I put a pump and heater and added Dr Tim's to cycle it. Add the ammonia and check nitrates and nitrites. There is a how to on Dr Tim's web site I think.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey all I'm in the middle of my new tank build after my 20 year hiatus. Just trying to be proactive since I'm taking this very slowly with my research I was wondering what anybody thought about getting an early start on cycling some live rock mixed with dry. This way when I'm finally ready to fill my tank it's got a head start. If this is doable would I let the rock sit in saltwater in buckets? Would I then when ready transfer it into the new tank with the water they were soaking in or without? Does not transfering the water with the rock defeat the whole purpose? Thanks!
I've cycled rock in brute containers several times.
Rock, water, powerhead, heater and maybe add some bottled bacteria for a bump.
Use new water in the tank.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas all and Merry Christmas! I was thinking that I could use either my return pump or skimmer pump just to move the water around since neither are being used at the moment. Actually didn't even think about the heater. That's why I come here! And if I use LR and some dry rock would I still need a supplement like Dr. Tim's? Is it just an added boost?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas all and Merry Christmas! I was thinking that I could use either my return pump or skimmer pump just to move the water around since neither are being used at the moment. Actually didn't even think about the heater. That's why I come here! And if I use LR and some dry rock would I still need a supplement like Dr. Tim's? Is it just an added boost?
flow and heat are important. With the live rock I'd say no added bacteria is needed but a little ammonia from whatever source you'd like wouldnt hurt to grow the bacteria on to the dry rock.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The extra bacteria would just be a bump, but not really needed.
Maybe an ammonia source would be a better idea

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put some live rock and some marco in an old QT system I had in a back room of the office. Worked out well, did a few water changes and put some pods in there. Put NLS pellets in once a week. My build is barebottom and I havent had any serious uglies, a bit of green film algae and a bit of hair algae but nothing serious. Last barebottom tank I started all dry, had massive cyano and then massive hair algae. I like this much better

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar situation. I have another 4 year old tank and a bunch of old live rock (not live anymore) and was going to add water from other tank on water changes, a small heater and flow and wait 2 weeks or so and then add to the new tank. May add a few pellets to help create some ammonia. Anything else i'm missing here?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm in a similar situation. I have another 4 year old tank and a bunch of old live rock (not live anymore) and was going to add water from other tank on water changes, a small heater and flow and wait 2 weeks or so and then add to the new tank. May add a few pellets to help create some ammonia. Anything else i'm missing here?
I think the OP has some live rock he is mixing with new dry rock so there is bacteria in the mix.
With yours, unless you have a bacteria source it's going to take much longer to cycle the rock.
In your case if no live rock is added, I would definitely add some bottled bacteria, and an ammonia source.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the OP has some live rock he is mixing with new dry rock so there is bacteria in the mix.
With yours, unless you have a bacteria source it's going to take much longer to cycle the rock.
In your case if no live rock is added, I would definitely add some bottled bacteria, and an ammonia source.
Yes that is my exact idea. Getting LR from LFS. I can use some dry rock recommendations. I've seen were people use dry to build some aquascape features. I'd like to do that then mix with the LR. Are there some better than others? Some that are more "buildable" than others. Thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back