Pre cycle rock?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi - no need for personal attacks or insults.
It wasn't an attack, just an observation.

I posted my opinion. I have to ask you, am I not entitled to one?
Why do you need to question my opinion?

The fact that you went into detail picking apart pretty much everything I said, explains my reasoning for saying this seems to be your thing.

Just walk away dude.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't an attack, just an observation.
It was a personal swipe any way you slice it, but if that makes you feel better call it anything you wish.

I posted my opinion. I have to ask you, am I not entitled to one?
Of course you are entitled to any opinion you wish, but you posted said opinion in a public forum and thus prompted a response. If you were afraid to have your opinion opposed, scrutinized or commented upon, you should not have posted it.

Why do you need to question my opinion?
Because you openly offered it in the course of a public conversation and I don't agree with the basis of the opinion. I simply stated as much. You chose to snipe at me and make it personal instead of just having a cordial conversation.

The fact that you went into detail picking apart pretty much everything I said, explains my reasoning for saying this seems to be your thing. Just walk away dude.
Yes, I did certainly post the detail of why I did not agree and I would expect anybody challenging an opinion to do the same. Again, just like the initial opinion posted, if you did not want your rebuttal points responded to then you should not have responded at all. As for your deflective directive to "just walk away", you could have at any point.

As it were, you posted an opinion and I have posted why I don't agree. In response you have sniped at me and my motive, but not addressed any of the points I made. It would unfortunately appear that you are more interested in public display of your disdain for me than you are for participating in a conversation.

It takes two to argue mfinn, and you are right in the thick of it. The difference is you are turning this into a personal confrontation, whereas I was (and still am) bewildered at your comments about "white" rock and tried to keep the conversation factually there.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It was a personal swipe any way you slice it, but if that makes you feel better call it anything you wish.

Of course you are entitled to any opinion you wish, but you posted said opinion in a public forum and thus prompted a response. If you were afraid to have your opinion opposed, scrutinized or commented upon, you should not have posted it.

Because you openly offered it in the course of a public conversation and I don't agree with the basis of the opinion. I simply stated as much. You chose to snipe at me and make it personal instead of just having a cordial conversation.

Yes, I did certainly post the detail of why I did not agree and I would expect anybody challenging an opinion to do the same. Again, just like the initial opinion posted, if you did not want your rebuttal points responded to then you should not have responded at all. As for your deflective directive to "just walk away", you could have at any point.

As it were, you posted an opinion and I have posted why I don't agree. In response you have sniped at me and my motive, but not addressed any of the points I made. It would unfortunately appear that you are more interested in public display of your disdain for me than you are for participating in a conversation.

It takes two to argue mfinn, and you are right in the thick of it. The difference is you are turning this into a personal confrontation, whereas I was (and still am) bewildered at your comments about "white" rock and tried to keep the conversation factual
I did not realize that if I say I like something, or dislike something I have to justify it to you.

This what I refer to as white rock.
I don't care for it.

Why you would pick this as a argument, IDK. Kind of baffles me.

Attachments

• marco rock.jpg
    marco rock.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 40

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I prefer rock like this.
Something that starts out with life and character.
It's harder to get these days, but was once common.
Now why is that so hard for you to understand?

Why do you have to know why I like it?
Why is it that important to you?

Attachments

• live rock 2.jpg
    live rock 2.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 39
  • live rock.jpg
    live rock.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 40

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it looks like I have a problem with the LR I ordered from USLiveRock.com. I was sent only 20 lbs of my 120 lb. order. Contacted the owner and got a little run around and now the site is down. I got my CC company to give me a credit of the 500+ dollars I'm short so hopefully that credit stays after the investigation. I'm thinking about just ordering more Marco now. I was wondering how USLiveRock was making money since it cost them almost 90.00 to ship my LR direct with UPS. They'd be losing money if they shipped the other 100 lbs. I think maybe they're business model was flawed. I don't think it was a direct scam otherwise I wouldn't have received any rock. Any other suggestions besides Marco?
Instead of more Marco rock, why not TBS?

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all I'm in the middle of my new tank build after my 20 year hiatus. Just trying to be proactive since I'm taking this very slowly with my research I was wondering what anybody thought about getting an early start on cycling some live rock mixed with dry. This way when I'm finally ready to fill my tank it's got a head start. If this is doable would I let the rock sit in saltwater in buckets? Would I then when ready transfer it into the new tank with the water they were soaking in or without? Does not transfering the water with the rock defeat the whole purpose? Thanks!
When I upgraded my 55 gallon to my 180, I put all my new dry rock for the new tank in a 55 gallon brute along with 3-4 of my media balls. Dosed ammonia twice during that time.
Had a pump, heater, and did a 10% water change weekly on it. My 180 is a year old now and never went through an ugly phase even with my par now up to 425 in spots. I think that single handedly leaped the entire process.
Highly recommend.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not realize that if I say I like something, or dislike something I have to justify it to you.
You are participating in public conversations. Anything you say is open for response from me or anybody. If you don't like me or want to respond to me, then simply ignore me. I am not picking on you or trolling you. I

This what I refer to as white rock.
I don't care for it.

Why you would pick this as a argument, IDK. Kind of baffles me.
I am picking it apart because you keep posting it and it makes utterly no sense.
Essentially all of our rock is that white including the rock in your tank (unless you have lava rock or some type of conglomerate sandstone or metamorphic rock). As well is the the rock you said you favored (the rock from the south pacific, etc.) because it is all aragonite and all white under the patina of live and dead matter.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer rock like this.
Something that starts out with life and character.
It's harder to get these days, but was once common.
Now why is that so hard for you to understand?
That is no different than the "Marco rock" - it is all "white" underneath. The "marco rock" or any other "clean" aragonite will look like that after being in a system for a short period of time.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am picking it apart because you keep posting it and it makes utterly no sense.
Essentially all of our rock is that white including the rock in your tank (unless you have lava rock or some type of conglomerate sandstone or metamorphic rock). As well is the the rock you said you favored (the rock from the south pacific, etc.) because it is all aragonite and all white under the patina of live and dead matter.

You say it makes no sense?
Well it makes sense to me. My hobby. My tank.
You opinion does not matter to me.

Yes, underneath the rock would be white, if it were dead and bleached. I see your point.
But my point is I don't like it.
Why you can't see that is utterly baffling to me.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, underneath the rock would be white, if it were dead and bleached. I see your point.
But my point is I don't like it.
Why you can't see that is utterly baffling to me.
LoL - I am not sure anybody likes it, and if they do then they better not put it in water.

Thank goodness it doesn't stay that way.

Baffling? Go back and read every one of my posts. I even posted photos of my own marco rock along side south pacific rock. That was the clear distinction -> White underneath with color on top while you just kept (keep) saying "I don't like white"

Honestly, you didn't read a darn thing and just commenced arguing.... and here in the end you stumble upon the point I tried to make all along. Insane.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's please get back on the topic at hand. Thank you.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day and right now I am not feeling the love. I might have to don my leisure suit and leather underwear and fly down to the bar to see if I can uncover some rocking chick with a beautiful coralline patina over her white ugly skin and dance the night away.

Hope your tank cycles nicely and you all feel the love of the day that is coming.

Don’t forget to buy some chocolate and flowers and a Hallmark poetry scam so you all can get some love on with whatever makes you happy.

Keep on reefing and enjoy the day.

And I second what the Rev said, I just said it the way I like to. I don’t like potato salad but I don’t want to sidetrack this wonderful conversation with my delicate personal issues.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So getting back to my original question now I have my rocks cooking in separate tubs. They’re cycled now. I have my tank on its newly built stand and drilled out. All equipment is ready. Could I transfer my newly live rock to the tank while I’m getting everything ready and piped in? I’ll just fill it half way or more and I’ll have heat and water movement just like in the tubs. I thought I could do that and add sand and start my aquascaping as I was finishing the build. I thought what’s the difference it’s going to be the same environment as when it was all sitting and cooking in the large tubs. Should be just a week or so before I’m finished the sump plumbing. Anyone see any problems with this?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So getting back to my original question now I have my rocks cooking in separate tubs. They’re cycled now. I have my tank on its newly built stand and drilled out. All equipment is ready. Could I transfer my newly live rock to the tank while I’m getting everything ready and piped in? I’ll just fill it half way or more and I’ll have heat and water movement just like in the tubs. I thought I could do that and add sand and start my aquascaping as I was finishing the build. I thought what’s the difference it’s going to be the same environment as when it was all sitting and cooking in the large tubs. Should be just a week or so before I’m finished the sump plumbing. Anyone see any problems with this?
As long as there is water heat and flow you will be fine. It's easier to move a tank if you need to without water, rock, and sand though. If you feel you can finish the build with all that in the tank It will be fine.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did think about the moving of it. You're right. I'll have to make sure my piping in the back is complete. BTW how far do most keep their tanks from a back wall? I'm guessing just enough to be able to work on overflow and return equipment. I'd like to go as close as possible but also know it's pretty much a one time decision.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, I try to design my plumbing so its modular so I can disassemble it from inside the stand. Obviously the more room around and under the tank the merrier. When I had ,y 180 set up at the other house I had it as close to the wall as possible about 5" from tank to wall. That was not ideal but with unions I could separate the pipes at the bottom and swing them out if needed. Still wasnt great. Especially since the ex wouldn't help with anything tank related. Luckily my sump was in the basement, so I could pretty much lay down in the stand.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another for you. My return bulkheads are 3/4" slip fittings. I'm assuming I could do a short piece of 3/4 pvc out from the elbow at the back of the tank and then do flex from there. (I want to do flex instead of hard pipe for other reasons). Maybe a union first just to make disconnecting in future easier. What am I buying for the flex? Not Pex right?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another for you. My return bulkheads are 3/4" slip fittings. I'm assuming I could do a short piece of 3/4 pvc out from the elbow at the back of the tank and then do flex from there. (I want to do flex instead of hard pipe for other reasons). Maybe a union first just to make disconnecting in future easier. What am I buying for the flex? Not Pex right?
I would do a union. Pex isnt flex line so no not pex. I dont like most of the ribbed flexible tubing I've seen too many things. Spa flex works well but it is limited in its flexibility, also I have heard people have issues when using it getting a good weld. I have never had issues with it, and it really helps to get where you need to without a bunch of elbows and such. I try to avoid soft plumbing as much as possible.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I read somewhere that the flex is quieter than hard pipe but I guess it depends on how many and what type of bends you're doing (90's, 45's, etc).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back