Pre cycle rock?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I read somewhere that the flex is quieter than hard pipe but I guess it depends on how many and what type of bends you're doing (90's, 45's, etc).
If it is I have never heard a difference. Maybe with a meter of some sort you could differentiate the sound difference. The biggest difference is using soft tubing on your return pump to limit sound caused by vibration. I have a room full of tanks and its loud mostly from the overhead sumps and air pumps running. If I shut off everything but my reef tank its pretty quiet. I get a trickling water sound in the pipes its very little though. A little sound from the overflow which I could lessen if I brought the water level in the overflow up some more. A slight burble from the drain pipe into the sump and a slight hiss from my skimmer pulling air. 5' away and almost nothing. Mine is all hard plumbed.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is I have never heard a difference. Maybe with a meter of some sort you could differentiate the sound difference. The biggest difference is using soft tubing on your return pump to limit sound caused by vibration. I have a room full of tanks and its loud mostly from the overhead sumps and air pumps running. If I shut off everything but my reef tank its pretty quiet. I get a trickling water sound in the pipes its very little though. A little sound from the overflow which I could lessen if I brought the water level in the overflow up some more. A slight burble from the drain pipe into the sump and a slight hiss from my skimmer pulling air. 5' away and almost nothing. Mine is all hard plumbed.
Thanks for the info. I’ll weigh both options.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question for all my helpful friends here. And let me know if I should've started a new thread here. I'm not sure of the protocol here.
I have a sump kit I purchased from Jax racks. I'm confused about the filter socks. (BTW, none of this in installed yet). I've seen pics where the overflow goes into an area that spills over to the top of the filter socks. But this is not like those. I saw other pics with a similar setup like this where the overflow pipes go directly into the two socks. I'm guessing that's what I need to do? It will be a Bean overflow. Which from what I understand has the one main drain, a secondary and an emergency. Will the main and secondary have the same volume flowing? If so I see how I can have one pipe in one sock and the secondary in the other. if they're not the same flow then one sock will obviously get more of the flow. Then if that's true I'm thinking I would tee off the main into the two socks. Let me know. Thanks!
1709394401594.png

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question for all my helpful friends here. And let me know if I should've started a new thread here. I'm not sure of the protocol here.
I have a sump kit I purchased from Jax racks. I'm confused about the filter socks. (BTW, none of this in installed yet). I've seen pics where the overflow goes into an area that spills over to the top of the filter socks. But this is not like those. I saw other pics with a similar setup like this where the overflow pipes go directly into the two socks. I'm guessing that's what I need to do? It will be a Bean overflow. Which from what I understand has the one main drain, a secondary and an emergency. Will the main and secondary have the same volume flowing? If so I see how I can have one pipe in one sock and the secondary in the other. if they're not the same flow then one sock will obviously get more of the flow. Then if that's true I'm thinking I would tee off the main into the two socks. Let me know. Thanks!
1709394401594.png
You will get more flow through the main siphon drain. The majority of your flow will go through it and say 10% through the secondary. I could be wrong it might be a little more. I have only had a true bean style 1 time and its been a while. I still have the tank its just not using the overflow currently just have air driven filter in right now "baby fish". You could direct some of the main drain into the other sock that catches your secondary if you want to even out your sock usage. I know you are worried about noise just so you know this sump set up will probably be the loudest part of the system. The system that uses a chamber to drain to then overflows into the sock area is much quieter. If the sump is in an enclosed cabinet it shouldn't be to bad.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t really worried about noise but now that you mention it what makes you say it will be the loudest part of the system? My understanding is that the overflow lines are still submerged. If you were thinking they would be above and splashing down. Is that why? Just trying to understand the whole setup. It’s my first sump. Thanks.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I assumed. I have had sumps both ways. The pipe in the sock under the water level gets old wrestling it out after a while. I am sure with the correct set up and space it wont be that bad. Mine was tight limited on space a pain to deal with. Shut off pump, wait for sock to partially drain, wrestle it out, wait for it to drain the rest of the way, put new sock in, turn pump back on. Or just go for it and get water everywhere. I cut my pipes back so I could just grab socks out and put new in leaving pump running, still had to wait for them to drain. My new sump drains into refugium then over a baffle at that point I have a "tray" for mechanical if I choose to use it, just floss. I have used it 2 times for a couple of days.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I assumed. I have had sumps both ways. The pipe in the sock under the water level gets old wrestling it out after a while. I am sure with the correct set up and space it wont be that bad. Mine was tight limited on space a pain to deal with. Shut off pump, wait for sock to partially drain, wrestle it out, wait for it to drain the rest of the way, put new sock in, turn pump back on. Or just go for it and get water everywhere. I cut my pipes back so I could just grab socks out and put new in leaving pump running, still had to wait for them to drain. My new sump drains into refugium then over a baffle at that point I have a "tray" for mechanical if I choose to use it, just floss. I have used it 2 times for a couple of days.
Thanks for the idea. I reposted the question to another thread but I think you gave me the answers. Pretty much leave it as is or reconfigure the sump so it flows over the socks. Which is going to be a pain since I already bought this set up. Maybe I’ll try plan A if if that becomes too much of a hassle I’ll go to plan B. Thanks for the help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back