Predator for a biocube 16?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wartskin angler would work, make sure to give him enough ground space and multiple levels to climb. Not a fu manchu.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly live ghost shrimp, guppies, and small baby/juvi mollies. They can live between 3-5 years but I am hoping for better. They don't always eat dead food and when people try and feed them a dead only diet, they don't live long. Overfeeding is a big concern, start out an itty bitty guy every 2-3 days, then go to no more than once a week to 10 days. Maintain reef levels of ca and more importantly mg, mg may support healthy digestion. Running temp at the low end close to 70.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, just a follow-up; most people can only keep them alive for a few months and rarely even as long as a year.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's the pygmy red rooster waspfish but they are hard to find and also difficult to keep long term. All of the small predatory fish will require live food and be difficult to keep long term. When people attempt to feed these fish a dead only only diet, they never live long. There are some other small ones but would be best in something closer to a 30g. There are some small mantis shrimp you could look into, not the peacock it needs at least a 40g. The best recommendation for that size tank would be a warty, you just need to commit yourself to taking care of them like I described in the 1st post. Most people don't, most people will not commit to a live diet and manage feedings.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's the pygmy red rooster waspfish but they are hard to find and also difficult to keep long term. All of the small predatory fish will require live food and be difficult to keep long term. When people attempt to feed these fish a dead only only diet, they never live long. There are some other small ones but would be best in something closer to a 30g. There are some small mantis shrimp you could look into, not the peacock it needs at least a 40g. The best recommendation for that size tank would be a warty, you just need to commit yourself to taking care of them like I described in the 1st post. Most people don't, most people will not commit to a live diet and manage feedings.
I don’t understand what’s so hard about that. I take immaculate care of my tanks. I also don’t mind live feedings. What kind of saltwater shrimp do they prefer? Can I feed it cheap peppermints or do I need to go with like skunks or something? Saltwater mollies are impossible to get where I am. It’d have to be shrimp and even then it’s 50/50 whether I’d find peppermint or camels.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the freshwater ghost shrimp as they are one the same species as the saltwater variety, just easier to transport and care for, set up a small tank/container with a sponge filter to feed healthy foods. Also use fresh water guppies and mollies, unless you can get baby mollies or breed your own, mollies will many times be too large. Salt water fare, not only expensive, also has a chance to spread disease. If you click my name and "find all threads", you will find a ton of info on caring and feeding for predatory fish.

Regardless of what people say, some people just have a hard time with feeding live food, and as much research and info that I have brought, some people are still determined to feed a dead diet.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the freshwater ghost shrimp as they are one the same species as the saltwater variety, just easier to transport and care for, set up a small tank/container with a sponge filter to feed healthy foods. Also use fresh water guppies and mollies, unless you can get baby mollies or breed your own, mollies will many times be too large. Salt water fare, not only expensive, also has a chance to spread disease. If you click my name and "find all threads", you will find a ton of info on caring and feeding for predatory fish.

Regardless of what people say, some people just have a hard time with feeding live food, and as much research and info that I have brought, some people are still determined to feed a dead diet.
I’ve got a shrimp tank setup to breed cherries but I don’t have any atm so ghosties wouldn’t be an issue. As long as they can eat freshwater ones I can def find them. I’ve got a damsel in the 16 biocube right now so I’m waiting for him to pass then im gonna find my a warty. Should I even bother trying to order online?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a shrimp tank setup to breed cherries but I don’t have any atm so ghosties wouldn’t be an issue. As long as they can eat freshwater ones I can def find them. I’ve got a damsel in the 16 biocube right now so I’m waiting for him to pass then im gonna find my a warty. Should I even bother trying to order online?

Your beat option is if you have a lfs to special order one for you. Pick him up in the bag and they need to be released under water. They will gulp air and it can be deadly. While divers den always get them and a good variety of colors, I will not personally recommend dd.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your beat option is if you have a lfs to special order one for you. Pick him up in the bag and they need to be released under water. They will gulp air and it can be deadly. While divers den always get them and a good variety of colors, I will not personally recommend dd.
Yeah I have heard they are going down hill as of now.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back