Presoaking Filter Socks

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change filter socks every 3rd day. so I go thru a bunch I've stockpiled.

Question:
If I presoak socks that are old used ones in a 5g bucket with water and a cup of Bleach.... will socks that sit in there for 1-2 weeks ready to be machine washed.....will the sock material be weakened by the bleach?

Last edited:

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think enough bleach and they'd weaken. I sun dry mine and wash all together with just a bit of bleach but have never soaked them. Following along to see what others say

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My routine is fairly straight forward. When a sock comes out of service I rinse it off in a sink and scrub off any bits and pieces by hand. I just let it dry after that until I have 2 or 3 to wash. I toss them in washer and dump a bunch of bleach. I hit the extra rinse cycle. Once done I get a bucket of ro with some prime in it and wash it out until I am sure I see no bubbles.

And good to go. I have 3 in the washer right now.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an old salt bucket with screw on lid (red sea). I put 1 cup of bleach and 1 cup of water in the bottom. I toss my dirty socks in there every 2 days. After 2 to 3 weeks the bucket is full. I turn them inside out and wash them. The small amount of bleach in the bottom keeps the bacteria from growing as water from the used socks drips down.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back