Price Point for Free Shipping

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what price point do you think people should offer free shipping. I see most offer at $250 including us, do you think this is fair?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what price point do you think people should offer free shipping. I see most offer at $250 including us, do you think this is fair?

Thats a tough question to ask because buyers want it lower and selling want it higher so what is the middle ground? For me $150-$200 seems fair...Mr Coral has it at $125 which i think is awesome! Anything under $100 is crazy to me and i think the vendor doesnt need to do that. Personally i look for stores in florida because i know shipping is cheaper if it isnt included. just my opinion.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all relative to the coral pricing. If you're paying $80 for a $30 frag then shipping should be free @ $80...

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all relative to the coral pricing. If you're paying $80 for a $30 frag then shipping should be free @ $80...

?? Why would you pay $80 for a $30 coral?

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also think it depends on the price your paying for coral.
I will use my self as an example.

i dont offer free shipping at all. reason is my frags are cheap enough that if you by 200 or 250 bucks in frags you getting a good 15-20 corals. thats gonna take a couple boxes.
i dont change the shipping though. its 24 bucks if you order 1 frag or 100 frags. for me i think thats more then fair considering what you get.
i will do free shipping every now and then just because i pay alot less then most vendors do but i dont have a set rule for it.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think shipping is on average about $25 or $30, so to the seller they are probably willing to offer free shipping on orders of $250 or more because it roughly equals about 10% of the order price. A discount most retailers are fine giving without much thought.

Personally I would like to see free shipping on orders at the $150 threshold. It would make it more worth my while to push what I was considering purchasing up over that mark where I might just opt to pay shipping if I had to push my order up to $250. As I am hoping to not make very many of those.

Does seem like with some of the high end chalices you could exceed the minimum with just one eye. ;)

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with free over $150 or so.

If everyone only charged $24 for shipping I'd buy a heck of a lot more coral, I can tell ya that!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?? Why would you pay $80 for a $30 coral?

Well the value of the coral is always subjective of course, but you cant think that there is really "free" shipping. If it is a 30 coral and the vendor gives you free shipping then that 30 coral gonna cost 80. That why i dont mind high minimums for free shipping....it all built into prices of coral anyway. On a related note i dont know how mrcoral does his $10 frags and low minimum

bkss709

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me you could loss on that to if you are sending out a lot of corals and the weight of the box if you are selling $250 in corals and you are packing up 14 or so corals and then you get there and find out shipping will cost you $145.00 then you loss on this sale but if you are sending out 1 or 2 high end pieces for the same price your shipping will cost any where from $40.00 to $60.00 then you dont loss as much on the sale. I no right now i am sending out 16 corals in a small 12" by 12" by 10" box and shipping is going to cost me $133.00 next day Air by 8:30 am or $100.00 by 10:30 am and this hurts your pocket book big time.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also think it depends on the price your paying for coral.
I will use my self as an example.

i dont offer free shipping at all. reason is my frags are cheap enough that if you by 200 or 250 bucks in frags you getting a good 15-20 corals. thats gonna take a couple boxes.
i dont change the shipping though. its 24 bucks if you order 1 frag or 100 frags. for me i think thats more then fair considering what you get.
i will do free shipping every now and then just because i pay alot less then most vendors do but i dont have a set rule for it.
This about as good as you are going to get. Most vendors cannot match this shipping price unless
1. You are shipping in state
2. The vendor is doing a large enough volume to get a good discount on fedex shipping.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think shipping is on average about $25 or $30, so to the seller they are probably willing to offer free shipping on orders of $250 or more because it roughly equals about 10% of the order price. A discount most retailers are fine giving without much thought.

Personally I would like to see free shipping on orders at the $150 threshold. It would make it more worth my while to push what I was considering purchasing up over that mark where I might just opt to pay shipping if I had to push my order up to $250. As I am hoping to not make very many of those.

Does seem like with some of the high end chalices you could exceed the minimum with just one eye. ;)
This is actually a good point, if you were about to pay $100 for a coral, and you were about to pay $40 for shipping, just buy an extra $50 coral and you get a bonus!

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that free shipping should be given at $150,there is no telling how CHEAP people who ship out every day get FedEx rates.Anyone who says that their shipping cost is what you pay,but they ship out very often,is lying,I would put money on it!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back