PRIZE CLAIMED - Reefing Topics and YOU! Participate and get entered to win $100 cash!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We're trying to figure out how to "procure" the best reefing topics and engage our members, social media fans, email subscribers etc. and was wondering if we might get some help from you by answering a few of these questions for us?

If you will answer the following questions by responding here with the answers we will enter you to win a $100 cash prize when this thread reaches it's end in about 30 days.

1. What type of things/subjects do you personally like to create new threads/topics about on R2R?

2. What type of threads/topics from others makes you want to respond to them?

3. What types of things could R2R do to motivate you to be more active creating threads or responding to threads?

BONUS: Go to your profile and choose the option for what state or country you live in near the middle of the page here: https://www.reef2reef.com/account/personal-details

Make one post where you answer the THREE questions. Then create one more post letting us know that you completed the bonus entry. You can have a total of TWO entries (2 Posts) in this thread. A winner will be subject to verification that the entry was completed according to the rules.

Thank you for the help and best of luck!
Content-creation-apps-header-image1.jpg

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What type of things/subjects do you personally like to create new threads/topics about on R2R?

I like to be able to lend help where I can. Mostly with the build thread with my sump room. Also did a review on my Bubble King 300 EXT - now not as great as some of the other reviews I have seen on here but try to document where I have exceptional results and when we have the disasters.

I am also going to add to this the trade / for sale section. When I started out - I bought a bunch of equipment that I could afford at the time. The deeper I got into the hobby I used the for sale section to buy and sell and upgrade and evolve my system. I think that is very beneficial for reefers that want to upgrade there equipment at the same time a newbie be able to save some money getting started.

When someone needs help and I have a solution, also love to see and join a thread of a beautiful system or unique build.

3. What types of things could R2R do to motivate you to be more active creating threads or responding to threads?

This is a unique situation when you grow the user base like you have. It is very easy for a thread to get lost pushed down or even missed. I think it also comes back to the person who posted - if you do not get an answer bump it up!

****Bonus Entry Completed****

Last edited:

eenoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I usually use R2R for any issues that i cant solve with google. I mainly lurk though, ive tried build threads and i always forget to update them.

Interesting tank issues, new products, and things i can relate with (products i use, issues ive encountered, or other relatable things)

Maybe an some kind of incentive to keep old threads going, maybe a flare for thread age. Making image upload and layout in posts more user friendly, i feel like most people google a guide to be able to upload high quality images here.

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threads that relate to what I am experiencing right now i.e. algae outbreaks, vinegar dosing, etc. I also enjoy creating posts on my build thread when people ask for an update because it shows that they are interested in what I'm doing.

I really enjoyed doing the Reef Chemistry Questions of the Day. I also like answering beginners' questions because I was there when starting out in the hobby.

Perhaps R2R can implement a way to remind people with active build threads to post an update every month or so.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are only two instances in which I create my own threads. First, when I have a novel question that is best answered by an expert, like Randy in the Chemistry forum. Second, when I have experience with a topic which I believe is not discussed thoroughly enough in the hobby.

Threads where there is an easy answer, like questions about chemistry, math, or hobby basics. Also to threads where I believe inaccurate or dangerous information has been posted and needs to be corrected.

Nothing really. I tend to only post in threads where there is an objective truth or a recognized "best way" to do something. I don't like posting in threads where there's room for many different solutions or many ways to solve a problem. People allow their personal experience and biases to influence their advice too heavily, and simple questions about available solutions often turn into ideological debates. The sad irony is that these types of nuanced and open discussions could really move the hobby forward if people didn't get so focused on defending their opinion and bad-mouthing all other potential viable solutions.

If the R2R staff could change human nature, then I'd probably participate in more discussions.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1: I personally like to create topics of new ways of doing things or new products, mostly to do with filtration. I also like controversial topics.

2: I usually respond to people needing help or an interesting, industry wide topic.

3: You could provide news articles from different sites or new, upcoming products for people to discuss.

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Questions, fun polls, the build thread
2. If i can help them with anything, if i have advice, if i relate/agree with
them, or if they ask a question pertaining to me
3. Cant think of anything. You all are doing a great job curently with running the show. Btw I like the new r2r background

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I haven't created many threads. I have a tank thread I should update more, and I have created threads when I need advice.

2. I typically reply to threads when someone needs help and I know the answer from experience. I also reply to a lot of the photo threads since I also enjoy photography. I don't typically add a +1 comment when I agree with someone's response to a thread, so my post count is not all that high for the amount of time I spend here.

3. The reminders to update my tank thread actually motivate me to post. Other than that, I can't really think if anything.

Kelsey Fletcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love creating questions that I may have about trying something new and getting different people opinions on certain products and fish and really being able to explore my options without buying everything. Being a new reefer, it can be very difficult not to worry about everything and this site lets me post new threads about questions I may have if one of my fish isn't looking healthy or anything I am not feeling is right!

I loveeee going to the emergency forum and answering questions about fish being sick or coral not looking well. Just things that I can relate to that I personally, might have had to go through with my tank before.

Overall, I think R2R does a great job of handling the motivation part of reefing, though some questions that people ask never get answered because they were confusing and I think that it would help if the more experienced reefers/aquariumists could find those questions that are harder to answer easier that would be nice. Being a beginner in this field, I have a few complex questions of my own that I have never asked because I see them in the discussion forum and they never get answered so I don't waste my time.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Questions that I have since I'm still new and most experiences I have are the first time I've had them, especially hitch hikers.

Questions about things that I actually have experienced and feel like I can answer, or threads showing off fish/corals.

Think I just need time because I don't have enough experience to answer most questions and don't yet have any sage advice to share.

CorporalFin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new but i would create threads if i need help or to make a review.

I like to see threads that get bring people together or if i can offer so info to help someone. Sometimes its hard to post when i am uneducated on many aspects of the hobby

Incentives are a great way not just prizes but i want to post for all the banners you get under you picture.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All the threads I have created have been whats going on in my tank, these are usually questions I have that have not gotten any attention in my build thread.

My personal experiences are what drive my responses. If I have dealt with the same issue, pondered the same question, own the same fish/coral, or used the same equipment... I enjoy sharing my experiences.

I think all the monthly giveaways and promotions do a good enough job at spurring activity. I feel if you were to increase the number of giveaways the quality/quantity or product would suffer. I enjoy the handful there are each month and feel they are appropriate to drive responses.

Oh one thing that would get people talking/posting would definitely be Rev posting a full tank shot of his Dino problem.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back