PRIZE CLAIMED - Reefing Topics and YOU! Participate and get entered to win $100 cash!

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What type of things/subjects do you personally like to create new threads/topics about on R2R?

I haven't created a thread in a while, but asking for general advice. I will be starting a build thread soon :)

2. What type of threads/topics from others makes you want to respond to them?

I spend about 99% of my time in the disease forum giving back the tremendous advice I've been given. I was helped in diagnosing and treating my beloved "water pups" and LOVE being able to help out others. To me this is what the forum and hobby is all about.

3. What types of things could R2R do to motivate you to be more active creating threads or responding to threads?

Honestly, I'm all about that disease forum. Sadly, I don't see it running dry anytime soon. I think the site does a tremendous job of having something for everyone

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What type of things/subjects do you personally like to create new threads/topics about on R2R?

I love looking at build threads for tank sizes that are do-able for myself. (1gal-200gal) how to's and what's best for success. The community is amazingly helpful and fast to respond for any question I may have to help get me started on my adventure into salt water tanks.

Build threads, how to's, best practices, and beautiful fish/coral shots. Tank of the months definitely grab my attention every time.

3. What types of things could R2R do to motivate you to be more active creating threads or responding to threads?

I'm unsure on this one. This is already the best forum I've ever been to.

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually questions on the tank I am building. Be it lighting, plumbing, and water chemistry or critters that go in it.. (The best way to build and set up a tank)

If it is in the above section. I am not wanting to re-invent the wheel. If someone has done something I like, I'll copy or use it. Also others nice tanks. I also like the hitchhiker threads.

Give me more free stuff! (Just kidding). This is really a pretty good bunch here. Because in some places, if someone asks a question that has been answered many times, people still answer. Or at least show a thread link. I've seen much worse. There is not a lot of user or sponsor or manufacturer bashing. If there is an issue, it is usually resolved quickly.
Also on any message board, there is like a 10:1 lurker to active user. Heck, I was on this site for almost a year before I paid and started adding my Aggie input.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have enjoyed starting topics on seahorses.

I always respond to all seahorse keepers who have any questions regarding their seahorses.

I would like to see more on macro algaes and grasses. When I go to the algae topic its only dealing with nuisance algae.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I need help, like when my tank sprung a leak. Or if I have a fish going through quarantine that I would like some input on treatment plan.

Critter ID, fish disease.. really any question that I have had experience with
I can't think of anything that would increase my responses..

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues/queations that I have with my tank/system

People that have problems or questions that I can help with.

Not sure about this one because I try to spend a few hrs everyday on the site to see what's happening & respond if I have a opinion or idea.

Last edited:

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. I like to create build threads, threads about water parameters and stocking.

2. Mainly if I have personal experience with what the question is about

3. Add perks for each set of comments, e.g. at 500 comments you get to change the color of your name, 1000 put a link in your signature, 2000 change your "name" as in member to coralholic or a name of your choosing. Like how Randy Holmes has the "name" Reef Chemist under his screen name. Also mabye create a section of threads you could go to thats catered towards what you generally click on. So like you go to "Threads For You" and it has a list of threads like the ones you click on a lot.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. product reviews and Diy =Builds. Most enjoyable part is the build and selection of components. ( just like rigging my boats, just love it! ) Need a central resource to help with that selection with reviews and feedback and threads. Equipment and technology could use a directory, with real reviews, updates and applications and process. I had to do a tread on a power-head because I could find no Information or active treads.
Best Practice is a thing and could benefit several. ( plumbing a sump w/manifold, check, unions ect ) This Old Tank how to's hosted by Norm, Jsker & Randy :p Iot is here and tech integration is always troublesome, instead of directing to other sites be nice to see whats going on with others and learn something along the way.

2. & 3. Entertainment and excitement! Ever notice how a tread on a cardboard box or The Attack of the Killer clownish gains traction or even a child whizzing in the sump is a huge draw ? NOW don't shoot the messenger
but this place can get stuffy with the more than several upward thinking and experienced. The lounge treads should be a area to stop in daily or hang out, and to share our tanks instead of an individual tread update that most don't see and discourages updates. If you have a problem or fix several will see it and direct you to a applicable tread, like VHF ch19 all the boaters hang out then go to an open channel for longer discussions . The Water Cooler for daily news;Blackeye, Game Day for sports ect and the Garage with jsker or turbo-man.

:eek: Hey you asked!...and right after my afternoon coffee.....speaking of.....that was a good tread any updates?
I know a lot of this is already covered but its so massive and splintered that I have a hard time wading threw it and the info is old and outdated, not sure how to keep it fresh....Oh was that your Question ? ;Smuggrin

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bonafide bonus

Wonf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually questions I have about fish/coral or anything pertaining to my reef tank. In other words, asking for help.

If a fellow reefer has a problem that I might have some insight/experience in, I'll offer my advice or try to steer them in the right direction. It's all about helping other reefers.

Hmmm that's a hard one. I guess if you started giving away prizes (nothing crazy, as simple as a sticker or tshirt) for x number of likes received.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What type of things/subjects do you personally like to create new threads/topics about on R2R? New technology and if it's beneficial. Also love studies like BRS and WWC/Coralabs have done.

2. What type of threads/topics from others makes you want to respond to them? High level SPS discussions or helping new to hobby.

3. What types of things could R2R do to motivate you to be more active creating threads or responding to threads? How about monthly prizes from some of the sponsors for different categories of responses / posts? Really, I come here because I like it.

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Typically, I have three categories of topics that I frequent and participate with heavily:
1. Help/ID topics: In these I like to chime in whenever I know the answer to help new members because I remember how everyone treated me when I was a newbie. Most of my knowledge is from hands on experience and not really any scientific background, thus I keep my responses to the easier help categories. On the other hand, I frequent Randy's section to ask for help in more advanced topics myself.
2. Pic/Showoff treads: I like to add photos of stuff that I have into those threads and watch through them myself. Also answer any follow up questions anyone may have for me regarding anything I post.
3. Tank build threads: I love browsing these threads since they often give me a lot of ideas or touch on things that I havent even though of. I currently have an old build thread from my first tank that I no longer have, hence no updates. The current tank I have is being replaced soon, so I didnt want to go through the hassle of doing a build thread. New tank that is coming, I intend to do update that one.

See #1, I kinda combined the two responses.

A more robust local section would encourage me to participate even more on this site. Typically, right now I use this forum for discussion, posting, and picture watching. However, when I am looking for something to buy or sell, I head to the other forum because they have a much more robust SoCal page. Im still not to keep on selling things with shipping, hence I would like a local posting area to be more active. (PS. I do recall that you guys have already taken some steps and attempted to make those areas be more active, I would just say to keep at it).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back