PRIZE CLAIMED - Reefing Topics and YOU! Participate and get entered to win $100 cash!

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What type of things/subjects do you personally like to create new threads/topics about on R2R?

I love creating threads about every question I have, I don't care if it is a stupid question. I had a teacher who said "there is no stupid questions, just stupid people that don't ask"

2. What type of threads/topics from others makes you want to respond to them?

About everything I know and have experience with.

3. What types of things could R2R do to motivate you to be more active creating threads or responding to threads?

I really love reading the reef of the month articles about the people who have this awesome reef tanks and their experience. Just amazes me how beautiful a reef tank can become!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What type of things/subjects do you personally like to create new threads/topics about on R2R?

I really like the hardware aspect so I tend to post threads mostly geared towards hardware. However, Randy and Dana are VERY helpful in the chemistry and lighting forums!

If I can add anything constructive to the conversation, so I am usually reading about things I've already put some time into researching!

3. What types of things could R2R do to motivate you to be more active creating threads or responding to threads?

I personally feel like you've already done a lot! I've brought this up before but the "Like" feature is awesome! Sometimes I wish there was a "dislike" button! haha The team also recognizes those that help with the excellence award.... Which is excellent!

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually create posts to ask questions, or share developments in my tank. I find the experts here at R2R are very helpful and friendly! I am currently in a tank move/rebuild after moving to a different state, so I am posting far less often than previously, but I still stop by and read every day

I generally respond to posts that ask questions that I either have knowledge of, or know an R2R expert that would be an awesome resource to help the poster, so I respond to "call" that expert. I also like to respond to the poll questions, as I think there is always a benefit to a larger sample size in polls

I really don't have a ton of advice for this question. Obviously, any bulletin board system will have people who participate, and also have their share of lurkers and "over-sharers" My posting and responding waxes and wanes as my free time allows, and I assume many others have this same restriction.

THX1138CY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I create new new threads when I have issues and need advice from the community. Getting feed back from others that have had my issues and already solved the same problems is a huge help in having a successful time in this hobby.

When I see an issue I have had and solved I contribute back, increasing the forums volume of knowledge.

I see this question to have a flawed premise. It presupposes that every thread will be new, that is simply not the case, most threads are hobbyists questions to which they currently lack the background knowledge to identify the solution, and that is what the other users contribute back, thereby documenting the event. Those who know, teach, adding to the collective knowledge base, who can teach others.

We are here to learn and find new ways to enjoy this hobby, or at least this is why I am here.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I haven't started that many threads, only a build thread and some about AEFW(after searching for older threads but didn't find what I was looking for). I have noticed that I like to use my build thread also a bit like a "blog", posting not only things about that tank. Being around aquariums all day at work makes me want to share and discuss more than just one tank.

2. I usually only answer in thread about odd stuff like cuttlefish, PAR and LaCl, but sometimes more common ones about algae and CUC etc. Working at a public aquarium you learn about husbandry for a lot of different animals(but don't have time to get to "expert level" on any.. ;) ). But mostly I like to search around and read and learn for older posts.

3. Can't think of anything directly from the R2R staff. But it would have been great if more aquarists from public aquariums were here to share their experiences.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like threads about equipment, tank stocking, corals, and fish diseases. I always look for input on all these things and R2R is an invaluable asset for learning about them!

Questions about equipment, fish disease, people asking for input.

R2R giveaways are good at inspiring me to post or respond to threads. I can't really think of much to change here honestly.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you will answer the following questions by responding here with the answers we will enter you to win a $100 cash prize when this thread reaches it's end in about 30 days.

- I usually contribute on reef automation topics and specialty care topics.

- I will respond to topics I have knowledge or experience on that I know work for me.

- Maybe a point system on quality posts that have some type of recognition reward.

danissl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My build thread and ID posts when I need to.

ID threads, because it's a fun challenge to have to ID species with very limited photos!

Active flair for your side, such as profile and banners

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, thanks for asking. I cannot think of any other social media site that would do this. A prime example of humble vs. arrogant. Further, I know you mean it, mean to improve the experience and not just drive traffic.

I love having a build thread I can manage in whatever way I see fit. I like creating additional threads for specific questions related to my build for a wider audience. I have great experience in some areas and am lacking in others. I am not afraid to admit where I need help or even just want to start a discussion to help organize my thoughts. I note that if my thread does not elicit a big response, that is fine. I know that at any time in the future it could suddenly take off for a number of reasons (as has happened). Future searchers may also discover a thread on an obscure subject and give it new life.

Help threads, ID threads, funny reef threads and polls are all inviting to me. I may not always respond, but I read a lot of them. Watching forum categories is a GREAT way to do this and get exposure to interesting critters and ideas. I follow a lot of build threads as well. Nothing like seeing the management of a variety of reefs from several points of view. My favorites though are when people post interesting critters and behaviors that I have never seen before (clowns hosting weird things, crazy looking worms, exotic corals and fish, even a
Tunicate hitchhiker).

This site is quite engaging for me already, but here are some thoughts I had on general improvements:

• Better feedback (2 separate ones now forum or xentrader). Can the two systems be combined somehow?
  • Monthly/Quarterly reminder alerts for dead build threads and email alert for 1+ year dead
The biggest challenge I see is finding a way to stop threads from being lost in the volume of posts. I occasionally stumble upon a post that is just incredible that I would have never seen if it was not atop the “New Post” list when I happened to look. I would submit that a daily or weekly sticky list might help. Allow any user to submit a thread to the sticky for review and mods could decide what gets included. Then reset it every day or week. This way when you see a thread you think everyone would enjoy, it would not get lost. Perhaps the best of these stickied threads (by vote or most views) wins an R2R T-shirt or something cheap, but cool.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I generally don't create threads that often but I love checking out members build thread.

2. I think a beginner thread would be great to help new people get started on the right foot. When I first started my tank I came here and skimmed through hundreds of threads to get a better understanding of what I was getting in to.

3. More giveaways would be awesome even just a R2R hand towel or t shirt would be nice.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I like to create threads to discuss issues that I have experienced as well as the good things that have happened in this hobby. I think many people may not post threads because there are several other threads discussing the same thing, which may or may not answer their questions. Redundancy aside, I think it is good for people to start their own threads. At least this way, it becomes a reference point for them rather than searching the site for the answer.

2. I generally like to reply to threads where I have some knowledge of the issue and also if I have a similar question on the matter.

3. I know I was more active when I first started. the giveaways are great. I think I would be more active if the giveaways were more frequent and even if it is just a simple freebie like things we need. For example, reagent refills, salt buckets, carbon/GFO containers, etc... also, if the contest are more frequent but do not last so long, that would be great.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 60 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back