Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had considered using the Turkish stuff on my QT tanks, but it’s a poison pill and mine are going in the garbage.
Ya, I threw out a bucket and a half that I bought from Saltwater.com. I still have the buckets but the salt is gone. Sounds like I may be out of $180.00 if that turns out to be the case I’ll be talking my business elsewhere.

I mean even if someone does scam them, and not sure how they can, considering you need a picture of the label and a receipt from their store, it not on them. Add to that TM replacement doesn’t say partially or unused product only. It says if you bought it they’ll replace it.

I’d reach reach out to Lou. Although in the past he’s basically said TM won’t police their channel. But that was over retailers price gouging when TM was in short supply. Maybe he will with the replacement offer because it’s a TM policy. The TM policy says in writing you don’t have to return the salt. It’s worth an email.

I’ll be reaching out to Saltwater.com Monday, if I get the same response I’ll post it here. Maybe if Lou gets hit with a group of emails he’ll enforce the TM policy and/or police their channel.

mdowney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was asked to return the buckets, I wouldn’t box them up. I would just put the return label straight onto the bucket and drop it off at the UPS store.
Not a bad idea. I assumed UPS would reject the shipment as these buckets are about a cheaply made as possible. But I have plenty of packing tape laying around…
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets a rental car and says, “Yeah, give me the insurance because I’m going to beat the hell out of this car.” :D

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Guys, I really need to ask this question right now. Just for my own sake, and i am in no way trying to make any assumptions or claims here. If anything personal peace of mind.

Has anyone at all out there experienced any issues at all like the ones described in this thread using the German salt? classic or pro mix?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I really need to ask this question right now. Just for my own sake, and i am in no way trying to make any assumptions or claims here. If anything personal peace of mind.

Has anyone at all out there experienced any issues at all like the ones described in this thread using the German salt? classic or pro mix?
I received a box made in Germany and one made in Turkey about the same time for the timeline, November. The German made pro salt seems fine, mixed clean, no odor, corals reacting well. Checked parameters they haven’t changed.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nope. Works great. In fact just did a water change yesterday on my 210 display with a couple of your frags in it. Serious circus, eflo 2.0 and two others.

To be honest I think TM has pretty much outlined what they did internal as well as calling in an outside source for review to include shutting down production from Turkey. German salt is fine and does not have the issue. If you are still on the fence I would recommend calling or sending a email to TM.

I understand your concern if you use the salt as a aquaculture shop.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nope. Works great. In fact just did a water change yesterday on my 210 display with a couple of your frags in it. Serious circus, eflo 2.0 and two others.

To be honest I think TM has pretty much outlined what they did internal as well as calling in an outside source for review to include shutting down production from Turkey. German salt is fine and does not have the issue. If you are still on the fence I would recommend calling or sending a email to TM.

I understand your concern if you use the salt as a aquaculture shop.
That is definitely reassuring believe me. Here's where I am coming from. I've got a pallet of the German made classic, that I just broke into, and my first impression was that I did get a hint of that "citrus" smell people have mentioned.

however, it did seem to go away completely after the bag was open for a little bit. Shrugged that off completely. But, I finally used some, adding about half a bucket to my 375 gallon reservoir last night, and when I took a look this AM, I couldn't help but notice a very fine "opaquey oily" film on the surface. I honestly don't think I've seen this in my reservoir ever before but I could easily be wrong.

So what did I do? A massive WC on my back up system as a test this Am with the new classic salt. Just going to see how things do for a bit. I'd very much like to think this is much ado about nothing. And Lou I am honestly sorry for even having to consider there could in any way be a shred of an issue with the German salt. I do not want people to jump to any conclusions please.

But, I do have one other question, and that is for those who did have undeniable issues, about long long into using the salt were you when you started to observe obvious problems.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem like tropic marin is trying to make this right, just sucks that their new facility couldnt produce to the same standards as TM germany, but they are addressing that. Good luck to all tropic marin users I hope everything works out well

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely reassuring believe me.

But, I do have one other question, and that is for those who did have undeniable issues, about long long into using the salt were you when you started to observe obvious problems.

I’d say i noticed problems about a month in to doing weekly 10% water changes. I did not pinpoint it was the salt until about 4 months in.

reeferdugong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know the problematic salt comes from Turkey but does anyone have problems with the salt from Germany? Or does anyone notice improvement when changing salt from 'turkish blend‘ to German-made salt?

The reason why im asking because im using my second batch of German salt since july-august and some of my corals starting to look bad for some unknown reason. My parameters are ok.

This is my second time buying the salt and its not in the pail, just in a box. Is there a chance that this problems also affect German salt?

Attachments

• F34B7C8D-E3D2-4B58-9872-3B0D1857064D.jpeg
    F34B7C8D-E3D2-4B58-9872-3B0D1857064D.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 40

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was literally going to start my first tank this week with tmp and just learned about this, whew. I just started the process with BRS to get the replacement as I've already broke into the box to run saltwater through my system and to get my mixing setup complete, so I can't get a straight up refund. Was going to switch to something else, but now I'm not sure if I really want to wait an unknown amount of time to start my tank waiting for my German replacement. It was only $60, so I'm not against switching to something else and keeping the German stuff as a backup whenever it shows up, but not really sure what the clean mixing alternatives are, as I don't want additional maintenance if it can be avoided.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know the problematic salt comes from Turkey but does anyone have problems with the salt from Germany? Or does anyone notice improvement when changing salt from 'turkish blend‘ to German-made salt?

The reason why im asking because im using my second batch of German salt since july-august and some of my corals starting to look bad for some unknown reason. My parameters are ok.

This is my second time buying the salt and its not in the pail, just in a box. Is there a chance that this problems also affect German salt?
i do not see a problem with Germany salt, been using Germany tmp for 3 yrs now and not one single issue, in fact i had a box from Turkey that i used and still no problem. Clearly there is an issue with Turkey and tropic seems to be on it...i will still use TMP but will not get anything from Turkey and will stick with Germany TMP.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using TMPRO salt for over 10 yrs. The recent box from Germany is fine, Parameters haven’t changed, corals are good.

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone received a shipping notice that filled out BRS form?

Not yet, but I did contact them via Chat asking about it, and they said they have to do everything via email in order to have the right documentation for TM. Said they're working through them in order as fast as they can, and that once mine is confirmed, it will probably be a few weeks to actually get a replacement since they still need stock to come in from TM. But yeah, under way.

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed abnormally high pH? I have calibrated, checked against reference solutions, and am reading 8.6 at the peak. Newly mixed brightwell is about 8.35 on the same probe. Probe reads both reference solutions correctly and verified against new packets.

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, but I did contact them via Chat asking about it, and they said they have to do everything via email in order to have the right documentation for TM. Said they're working through them in order as fast as they can, and that once mine is confirmed, it will probably be a few weeks to actually get a replacement since they still need stock to come in from TM. But yeah, under way.
I just received word and shipping info today from BRS, replacing my 100g box with German salt. I've been doing all my communication with them via email. Sounds like it should be all good to go!

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back