Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received word and shipping info today from BRS, replacing my 100g box with German salt. I've been doing all my communication with them via email. Sounds like it should be all good to go!
Same here, didn’t keep the box but BRS came thru…outstanding measure on BRS and tropic marin for doing this

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, didn’t keep the box but BRS came thru…outstanding measure on BRS and tropic marin for doing this

I was talking with a LFS about this and they told me that they can look up all the info on their own. They had only sold one package of turkish to anyone. The scanned barcode saved all the info and they could look it up.

A retailer should be able to tell the customer they had a bad box. Why BRS is even asking for the photos/info is beyond me. The order number might help speed things along, but they should be able to look up everything else on their own.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking with a LFS about this and they told me that they can look up all the info on their own. They had only sold one package of turkish to anyone. The scanned barcode saved all the info and they could look it up.

A retailer should be able to tell the customer they had a bad box. Why BRS is even asking for the photos/info is beyond me. The order number might help speed things along, but they should be able to look up everything else on their own.
They are but if you don’t have the box they are looking at the order and coming thru with a new box being sent…I explained that to them and they got back to me understanding I did not have the box and sent out a new one which is going to arrive tomorrow..usual shipping to me is 5 days but they sent in out to me faster and it’s 3 day shipping..have to give it up to BRS in this move

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is mentioned somewhere but…….I spoke with my LFS about the bucket of salt from turkey i purchased to see if they would replace. I was told that they didn’t know anything yet but would give me a number to call tropic Marin. I haven’t gotten a number and I can find one or just don’t know where to look. Does anyone know where folk like me can get a bucket replaced if need be when purchased from an LFS?

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my problem now, I switched to TMP last March and i started dosing with their line of products. I am happy so far with the results but I am running out of salt from Germany. I have 2 boxes of Turkey salt unopened from BRS. I have completed the forms but I also tried to order some more until they work out the issues with TMP. BRS is sold out of TMP. Does anyone have TMP in stock now from Germany? I emailed BRS yesterday for a ETA on the German salt but have not heard back. I hate to switch products again but may have no choice. Has anyone else made the switch and if so which salt ?

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my problem now, I switched to TMP last March and i started dosing with their line of products. I am happy so far with the results but I am running out of salt from Germany. I have 2 boxes of Turkey salt unopened from BRS. I have completed the forms but I also tried to order some more until they work out the issues with TMP. BRS is sold out of TMP. Does anyone have TMP in stock now from Germany? I emailed BRS yesterday for a ETA on the German salt but have not heard back. I hate to switch products again but may have no choice. Has anyone else made the switch and if so which salt ?
I think BRS is slammed with email. It takes a good week to two weeks for me to get a reply, but it does come though. For questions about stock and such, I'd use their live chat on the website.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is mentioned somewhere but…….I spoke with my LFS about the bucket of salt from turkey i purchased to see if they would replace. I was told that they didn’t know anything yet but would give me a number to call tropic Marin. I haven’t gotten a number and I can find one or just don’t know where to look. Does anyone know where folk like me can get a bucket replaced if need be when purchased from an LFS?
The email for our Tropic Marin USA office is [email protected] you are more than welcome to contact me there. However, we are not sending out salt replacements directly. Your LFS will be doing the replacement of your salt, for you, through their distributor. If they have not been contacted by their distributor, about the replacement program, ask them to ask their distributor sales representative about it. If they still have questions, they are more then welcome to email us directly, at that email address, and I will help clear up any questions they have.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted Saltwater aquarium and they told me to send in pictures of the "made in turkey" and the batch number. I believe the person on the phones said it would take quite a few months to get the replacement in. Sad to hear, but it is what it is. I have had the worst luck with salt. First Fritz Blue box, got a bad batch. Swapped to TM Pro cuz I'm lazy and didn't want to clean my bins as much. And now TM Pro. I would say blame it on me. I'm just bad luck. I still have maybe 20 gallons of German TM but that will last me till maybe early March. I hate swapping salts, no clue what I'll go with now. Looking at purple IO or Brightwell until we get more information it seems.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The email for our Tropic Marin USA office is [email protected] you are more than welcome to contact me there. However, we are not sending out salt replacements directly. Your LFS will be doing the replacement of your salt, for you, through their distributor. If they have not been contacted by their distributor, about the replacement program, ask them to ask their distributor sales representative about it. If they still have questions, they are more then welcome to email us directly, at that email address, and I will help clear up any questions they have.
Thank you Lou,
Are there certain batch numbers affected? Before I get to far into the process. I’d hate to stir the pot and not even be on the affected list.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Lou,
Are there certain batch numbers affected? Before I get to far into the process. I’d hate to stir the pot and not even be on the affected list.
We are not waiting for our final test results to determine if only certain batches should be replaced. We are replacing all the Pro Reef from our now closed facility in Turkey.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I threw out a bucket and a half that I bought from Saltwater.com. I still have the buckets but the salt is gone. Sounds like I may be out of $180.00 if that turns out to be the case I’ll be talking my business elsewhere.

I mean even if someone does scam them, and not sure how they can, considering you need a picture of the label and a receipt from their store, it not on them. Add to that TM replacement doesn’t say partially or unused product only. It says if you bought it they’ll replace it.

I’d reach reach out to Lou. Although in the past he’s basically said TM won’t police their channel. But that was over retailers price gouging when TM was in short supply. Maybe he will with the replacement offer because it’s a TM policy. The TM policy says in writing you don’t have to return the salt. It’s worth an email.

I’ll be reaching out to Saltwater.com Monday, if I get the same response I’ll post it here. Maybe if Lou gets hit with a group of emails he’ll enforce the TM policy and/or police their channel.
In my opinion TM should be policing their channel in this regard. Everyone should have the same refund policy and BRS's is the best. This has already cost users dearly (not only the price of the salt but livestock losses as well) so why make it harder. Users of the salt should not be made to jump through hoops like saltwater.com is making people do. That is atrocious (as is their reply) and TM should be making that right to ensure the process is made as easy as possible on everyone. I was about to switch to TM when I started reading these threads.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion TM should be policing their channel in this regard. Everyone should have the same refund policy and BRS's is the best. This has already cost users dearly (not only the price of the salt but livestock losses as well) so why make it harder. Users of the salt should not be made to jump through hoops like saltwater.com is making people do. That is atrocious (as is their reply) and TM should be making that right to ensure the process is made as easy as possible on everyone. I was about to switch to TM when I started reading these threads.

It's not TMs fault with how individual LFS and retailers handle this. TM has given them the same guidance. There are always bad apples that think rules don't apply or want to make up their own.

Up to this point I had a pretty positive outlook on SaltWaterAquarium, but now after reading about what they are doing compared to BRS I'm not so sure.

My LFS handled an exchange no questions asked. TM has done the right thing here. It may seem slow and delayed, but testing, research, sampling all take time. As do product return/withdrawals. Lots of moving parts.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are not waiting for our final test results to determine if only certain batches should be replaced. We are replacing all the Pro Reef from our now closed facility in Turkey.
Just spoke with my LFS, they’re aware and are working with distributors to replace salt but are having issues with getting their hands on it as of now. Thanks for your help Lou!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not TMs fault with how individual LFS and retailers handle this. TM has given them the same guidance. There are always bad apples that think rules don't apply or want to make up their own.

Up to this point I had a pretty positive outlook on SaltWaterAquarium, but now after reading about what they are doing compared to BRS I'm not so sure.

My LFS handled an exchange no questions asked. TM has done the right thing here. It may seem slow and delayed, but testing, research, sampling all take time. As do product return/withdrawals. Lots of moving parts.
Sorry, I might not have been clear. I'm not blaming TM at all but I would think they have the power to tell their channel how to handle this situation and how they (meaning the retailers) will be compensated. Obviously SaltwaterAquarium isn't going to be out of pocket no matter how it's handled so why make people jump through hoops especially in today's digital world where they can lookup if the customer got the TM Turkey salt (although maybe they don't?). In any case I would think TM has the power to dictate how this is handled for everyone. Maybe I'm wrong and they don't. If they don't then I too would be rethinking using SaltwaterAquarium for anything unless it was my only option.

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got an email from BRS with my salt replacement order. Took about two and a half weeks after submitting the form. Probably won’t ship for a while since I’m sure they’re waiting for more stock. But with the order number on file I’m happy.

I was one of those who threw out the damaged box and kept the bag in an old bucket. BRS handled it no problem. Respect.

mdowney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I respectfully disagree. TM made a mistake with their product, which they are taking care of, but as a manufacturer they rely on their sales channel to drive their business. That’s the face to the customer. So it’s on them to make sure their channel is taking care of their collective customers. And we’re not talking about some small LFS here, we’re talking about one of the three biggest online resellers.
BTW - my LFS had recently started carrying TM Pro salt and, while in there the other day, I asked if they knew about the recall of the Turkey salt (all of their stock is from Turkey) and they replied, “Yeah, our stuff wasn’t effected. We checked.” Which is obviously not true, as Lou clarified above.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respectfully disagree. TM made a mistake with their product, which they are taking care of, but as a manufacturer they rely on their sales channel to drive their business. That’s the face to the customer. So it’s on them to make sure their channel is taking care of their collective customers. And we’re not talking about some small LFS here, we’re talking about one of the three biggest online resellers.
BTW - my LFS had recently started carrying TM Pro salt and, while in there the other day, I asked if they knew about the recall of the Turkey salt (all of their stock is from Turkey) and they replied, “Yeah, our stuff wasn’t effected. We checked.” Which is obviously not true, as Lou clarified above.

That is some quality LFS staff...

Back to your other point. You are allowed to disagree, but (speaking from a food/pharma background) if a recall/withdrawal is issued after the company and FDA does their thing (which is a lot, I'm not even going to try to describe that process) it falls on the consumer/distributors. The manufacturer does not have to track down every single individual person to get the recalled product back or destroyed.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can they push saltwater to handle replacements different than they are now?

Yes absolutely, do they have to? No.

If salt water refuses TM has that choice to cease business with them.

Back