Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a formal recall yet? Having a hard time getting the store I got it from to give me a replacement box…

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a formal recall yet? Having a hard time getting the store I got it from to give me a replacement box…
There is a replacement program but it leaves something to be desired. I brought my Turkish bucket into my LFS, I know I didn't need to but I'm not using it so I figured they can use it if they want or just toss it in their dumpster. However, I was told refunds aren't being offered, just replacement buckets, which of course are out of stock. So I got an IOU for a bucket of salt I already paid for with no idea when I will get a replacement. I don't even want the replacement, I'm switching brands.

reefman76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the current bucket I'm using is the one made in Turkey. I have done 3 water changes so far and not noticed any brown residue. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is anyone experiencing any issues with the Tropic Marin Classic?

The last bucket and the most recent bucket I've opened have mixed up with some brown crud that is free floating in the water. It's sticky and leaves a residue on my Hanna salt checker and in the mixing container. Could this also be the insoluable clay they are talking about in the Pro Reef turkish made mix?

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is definitely reassuring believe me. Here's where I am coming from. I've got a pallet of the German made classic, that I just broke into, and my first impression was that I did get a hint of that "citrus" smell people have mentioned.

however, it did seem to go away completely after the bag was open for a little bit. Shrugged that off completely. But, I finally used some, adding about half a bucket to my 375 gallon reservoir last night, and when I took a look this AM, I couldn't help but notice a very fine "opaquey oily" film on the surface. I honestly don't think I've seen this in my reservoir ever before but I could easily be wrong.

So what did I do? A massive WC on my back up system as a test this Am with the new classic salt. Just going to see how things do for a bit. I'd very much like to think this is much ado about nothing. And Lou I am honestly sorry for even having to consider there could in any way be a shred of an issue with the German salt. I do not want people to jump to any conclusions please.

But, I do have one other question, and that is for those who did have undeniable issues, about long long into using the salt were you when you started to observe obvious problems.
I just went a couple pages back and found this post. Looks to be exactly what I've been experiencing in regards to TM Classic. An Oily, waxy residue on the surface but also free floating (I have a powerful mixing pump that has been keeping it mostly suspended in the water column.

What is leaves behind is sticky. I cleaned out the mixing chamber thinking I caused a bacterial bloom/bio film or algae twice now. Every single time it has returned within 24 hours of mixing a fresh batch of Salt water with pure RODI 7 staged, new filters. It is not present immedialty after adding salt (Or I havent noticed it immediatley anyway)

Pretty frustrated with it. I've lost some coral's, mostly sps but I just keep blaming myself for it. Some happened after water changes. Still chalked it up to my params not matching my Salt mix but tell me if I'm crazy thinking my new salt water mixes to 10dkh and my tank is hovering around 10.12 - 9.85 that is enough to RTN sticks that are suppsoed to be fairly easy to keep.

I have decided I will be switching salt and let things shake out at TM for a few years if I ever switch back. I will still use thier other products but not the salt at this time.

Last edited:

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just went a couple pages back and found this post. Looks to be exactly what I've been experiencing in regards to TM Classic. An Oily, waxy residue on the surface but also free floating (I have a powerful mixing pump that has been keeping it mostly suspended in the water column.

What is leaves behind is sticky. I cleaned out the mixing chamber thinking I caused a bacterial bloom/bio film or algae twice now. Every single time it has returned within 24 hours of mixing a fresh batch of Salt water with pure RODI 7 staged, new filters. It is not present immedialty after adding salt (Or I havent noticed it immediatley anyway)

Pretty frustrated with it. I've lost some coral's, mostly sps but I just keep blaming myself for it. Some happened after water changes. Still chalked it up to my params not matching my Salt mix but tell me if I'm crazy thinking my new salt water mixes to 10dkh and my tank is hovering around 10.12 - 9.85 that is enough to RTN sticks that are suppsoed to be fairly easy to keep.

I have decided I will be switching salt and let things shake out at TM for a few years if I ever switch back. I will still use thier other products but not the salt at this time.
Is yours German then?

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This problem goes way back imo... In november of 2020 as a group of reef keeping friends we bought a half pallet of tropic marin salt in the white bulk bags from cuttlefish n corals in Portland oregon. None of us had ever seen these bags of TM salt prior including Jeff the store owner..... 4 of us used the salt and all 4 of us had our tanks crash over the next few months and resulted in mass loss of high end coral and thousands of $ invested between us.. I wish we could go back and see where this salt was made as we were clueless to the plant changes at that point. Needless to say we all have sworn off the purchase of any TM products since and 2 of us have totally abandoned the hobby because of the issue

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think switching salts at this point is a great first step to see if things rebound. I had acropora decline (browning, complete loss of polyp extension, and STN) that was progressive with every water change with German TMP salt. Once I switched things progressively perked back up with every water change. I don't think Tropic Marin really knows what is going on as "clay" is very innocuous sounding term that doesn't at all describe the problems people are having. This may not be the issue for you but at this point I would say it's a good idea to rule it out.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think switching salts at this point is a great first step to see if things rebound. I had acropora decline (browning, complete loss of polyp extension, and STN) that was progressive with every water change with German TMP salt. Once I switched things progressively perked back up with every water change. I don't think Tropic Marin really knows what is going on as "clay" is very innocuous sounding term that doesn't at all describe the problems people are having. This may not be the issue for you but at this point I would say it's a good idea to rule it out.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this assessment. TM has been very consistent with communicating to the hobbyists their findings to include an outside assessment. They have stopped production from the plant in country and question and even recalled the salt.

They know what is going on but hobbyists may not agree or have lost trust in the product. That is different. If any hobbyist think they have a issue with any TM salts they should not do the water change and contact TM. They are very open and reply to all questions. They even include their office phone number.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you should start a new thread given this is related to a different TM salt. @Battlecorals should also add their experience and it will give others to add theirs if needed. Maybe it's isolated, maybe not but your experiences with this different salt might get lost on this thread. It's possible TM has to check this as well (regardless of where it was made). The mention of sticky/oily would have me very concerned of that getting into any of my tanks. It's possibly bad for corals but I would also be concerned for fish and inverts. Sticky and/or oily stuff on their gills, etc. Would be bad IMO.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think you should start a new thread given this is related to a different TM salt. @Battlecorals should also add their experience and it will give others to add theirs if needed. Maybe it's isolated, maybe not but your experiences with this different salt might get lost on this thread. It's possible TM has to check this as well (regardless of where it was made). The mention of sticky/oily would have me very concerned of that getting into any of my tanks. It's possibly bad for corals but I would also be concerned for fish and inverts. Sticky and/or oily stuff on their gills, etc. Would be bad IMO.
yeah I was kind of thinking along these lines as well. I've actually been doing a pretty extensive experiment with the German salt I have here since that first week of large waterchanges I did on my back up.

There have been a multitude of developments. to be sure, but the jury is still way out for me on whether I can be conclusive about the German salt Ive got here at all.

Last edited:

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. TMP tried to help us all but has done a poor job of implementing the replacement process. I understand why they did it, but they basically passed the problem they caused off to the retail or you got your salt from. Some of them just don’t want to be bothered with doing it for whatever reason. My guess is, and it’s only a guess, is that in the case of a online retailer such as the one I purchased from they may be on the hook for the shipping g costs. They are certainly on the hook for the labor costs of preparing and processing shipping.

if it were my company I would have either processed the replacements directly or let the customer go to any dealer of my product with proof of purchase of my product and get a replacement from them.

In my case I’m out $240.00 simply because the online retailer doesn’t want to put the effort in (or suffer the expense if that the case). I know from reading the forums and other social media that I’m far from the only person this particular retailer has done this to.

Bad business all the way around from the manufacturer to the retailer.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What good is a replacement if TM cannot get German produced salt stocked to be able to replace the Turkish stuff?

TM should authorize refunds, not just replacements. I'm tired of waiting for the salt I paid for last year...

Its now basically an interest free loan for TM.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'd agree with this assessment. TM has been very consistent with communicating to the hobbyists their findings to include an outside assessment. They have stopped production from the plant in country and question and even recalled the salt.

They know what is going on but hobbyists may not agree or have lost trust in the product. That is different. If any hobbyist think they have a issue with any TM salts they should not do the water change and contact TM. They are very open and reply to all questions. They even include their office phone number.
Unfortunately I didn't get much of a response other than sorry to hear that. Certainly I could be one of a smaller number of users with bad German salt and it's just not on their radar. For now I'm happy with my current brand and the reef is looking great!

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is yours German then?
Yes, German Tropic Marin Classic.

I'm done though, I am switching. I have 30 gallons of premixed I will be dumping. I honestly feel like a fool. 20 years reefing and I didnt trust my gut. To be fair, I chose to ignore the free floating oily gunk and do the water changes anyway.

I have 1 more unopened, and half of another bucket. I wonder if BRS would take back the Classic since it's not the Turkish made stuff? Probably not. Just going to chalk it up to another expensive lesson.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, German Tropic Marin Classic.

I'm done though, I am switching. I have 30 gallons of premixed I will be dumping. I honestly feel like a fool. 20 years reefing and I didnt trust my gut. To be fair, I chose to ignore the free floating oily gunk and do the water changes anyway.

I have 1 more unopened, and half of another bucket. I wonder if BRS would take back the Classic since it's not the Turkish made stuff? Probably not. Just going to chalk it up to another expensive lesson.
Anyone know, Is there any way we can get to the bottom of what the oily stuff actually is?

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mixed a fresh batch of TM Pro that was manufactured from Germany. This is a fresh bucket as I just used up my last bucket from Germany. This time, I’m seeing noticeable particulates. The last bucket from Germany mixed clean. I should also note that I had just cleaned out my barrel right before this batch.

8F121F5B-74BE-405A-936D-60E278F5CCAA.jpeg
I’m bubbling my post up since I hear a lot of folks say their problems are isolated to only batches from Turkey.

I have a bucket from turkey that mixes with brown and oily film. I’ve used it a few times before people started talking about this issue and I saw a few acros deteriorate.

after a few W/Cs with a different salt manufacturer, I saw recovery.

what I don’t get is why Tropic Marin does not acknowledge that there are people experiencing this with German made salt.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m bubbling my post up since I hear a lot of folks say their problems are isolated to only batches from Turkey.

I have a bucket from turkey that mixes with brown and oily film. I’ve used it a few times before people started talking about this issue and I saw a few acros deteriorate.

after a few W/Cs with a different salt manufacturer, I saw recovery.

what I don’t get is why Tropic Marin does not acknowledge that there are people experiencing this with German made salt.
This is exactly what I'm seeing with my German TM Classic. My buckets were purchased April 2021 and I just now started using them over the last 8 weeks or so.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 76.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back