Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Marks38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved on from this salt and the supplier that won't handle my refund. There is something not right with that salt mix. I went back to my old salt and will be staying there because it worked for me. Considering what I went through, I don't mind throwing away $ in that salt. It was not an epic proportion but enough for me.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus any chance you’d be willing to come in and speak to the continuing issues going on? We haven’t gotten any info since you guys first announced the recall that so many are having issues with and it seems that there are still issues going on with your other salts as well.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus any chance you’d be willing to come in and speak to the continuing issues going on? We haven’t gotten any info since you guys first announced the recall that so many are having issues with and it seems that there are still issues going on with your other salts as well.
At the current time, we are coordinating the replacement of any of the Pro Reef Salt, manufactured in our facility in Turkey, that anyone has. We have halted production in that facility until we identify IF and/or WHAT any potential issue might be. The salts and products, manufactured in either of our two facilities in Germany, are not affected and not part of the replacement program.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the current time, we are coordinating the replacement of any of the Pro Reef Salt, manufactured in our facility in Turkey, that anyone has. We have halted production in that facility until we identify IF and/or WHAT any potential issue might be. The salts and products, manufactured in either of our two facilities in Germany, are not affected and not part of the replacement program.

Hi @Lou Ekus

The issue some of us are having is salt that we purchased is not being replaced by vendors. How do we go about getting the salt replaced if a vendor refuses?

Thanks

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Lou Ekus

The issue some of us are having is salt that we purchased is not being replaced by vendors. How do we go about getting the salt replaced if a vendor refuses?

Thanks
If you have trouble getting a vendor to replace your salt, just email me at [email protected] and I will help. When you email I need the LFS name and contact information and a copy of your receipt or a picture of your bucket. I am sorry that people are having trouble with this process. It really should be very simply a matter of returning to your LFS and they get your replacement (when they re able to) from their distributor. We have been very clear with the industry folks about how this is done. It just seems to be difficult in some cases. Send me information, and I will help.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus While I appreciate this, I have to ask, are you also looking into the possibility of your other salts also being effected?
You didn’t believe that there was any problem at all for a long time until enough people came forward with their own tests. Coupled with the fact that you claim both German and Turkish salt was made using the same raw ingredients, how can you be certain that the same thing or something similar isn’t also happening in your German faculties?

if all ingredients and process are the same, and something managed to slip past and be a problem with the Turkish plant then that means by default that a problem COULD happen at the German plants as well.
Could you address this possibility and if you’re looking into it at all?

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
HI @Lou Ekus

Is there any recourse for those of us with German made salt who are experiencing the same reported oily/waxy substance as that from Turkey? My buckets of German Tropic Marin Classic have the same issue as others have reported with the Turkish salt.

Thank you

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou what about those of tat can’t get a replacement(s) processed through your retail partner we bought it from. I don’t know what the mechanics may be between you and they, but I’m guessing it’s time, money or not having product that’s keeping them from processing replacements.
Whatever it may be there’s a lot of people unable to get these bad buckets replaced. In my case I’m out $240.00 on the “bad” buckets plus $130.00 because your retail partner decided it’s okay to take advantage of the situation and price gouge people. He got because your supply chain was/is empty.

I was fine with getting gouged once, because I thought I’d be getting the bad buckets replaced. That’s not the case and now I’m out nearly $400.00.

I have to honest and say my loyalty to TM is a bit stretched at this point.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou what about those of tat can’t get a replacement(s) processed through your retail partner we bought it from. I don’t know what the mechanics may be between you and they, but I’m guessing it’s time, money or not having product that’s keeping them from processing replacements.
Whatever it may be there’s a lot of people unable to get these bad buckets replaced. In my case I’m out $240.00 on the “bad” buckets plus $130.00 because your retail partner decided it’s okay to take advantage of the situation and price gouge people. He got because your supply chain was/is empty.

I was fine with getting gouged once, because I thought I’d be getting the bad buckets replaced. That’s not the case and now I’m out nearly $400.00.

I have to honest and say my loyalty to TM is a bit stretched at this point.
There is no reason that any store, that sold you Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt that was manufactured in Turkey, should have any problem replacing the salt for you, when replacements are available. If any store is refusing to do that, I have posted my email address, offering to step in and help, on many threads. Here it is again [email protected]. You re NOT out your $400! The salt WILL be replaced! As for the time frame, this is mostly out of our control. We are able to produce the Pro Reef needed without any problem, in our German based facilities. The issue is shipping. There is an international shipping crisis underway in full swing. While we are doing everything we can to get replacement product here, I have said many times, the time frame is months, and it is not under our control. Shipments get cancelled and delayed even when they have already arrived in the port to be shipped. We are doing what we can. But we can't, single handedly, correct the shipping crisis.

If you are having ANY issue with the cooperation of LFS to coordinate the replacement for you, please email me and I will assist! But if you complaint is related to the time frame, you'll have to take that up with the world shipping market.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weed killer, I see your in AZ so you don't need road/driveway salt like some of us!

I know there's more options as well.
You can use it as stump killer, I’ve done that before and it took the plant out after years of it popping back up in different places. It was a trumpet vine, hard to kill.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason that any store, that sold you Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt that was manufactured in Turkey, should have any problem replacing the salt for you, when replacements are available. If any store is refusing to do that, I have posted my email address, offering to step in and help, on many threads. Here it is again [email protected]. You re NOT out your $400! The salt WILL be replaced! As for the time frame, this is mostly out of our control. We are able to produce the Pro Reef needed without any problem, in our German based facilities. The issue is shipping. There is an international shipping crisis underway in full swing. While we are doing everything we can to get replacement product here, I have said many times, the time frame is months, and it is not under our control. Shipments get cancelled and delayed even when they have already arrived in the port to be shipped. We are doing what we can. But we can't, single handedly, correct the shipping crisis.

If you are having ANY issue with the cooperation of LFS to coordinate the replacement for you, please email me and I will assist! But if you complaint is related to the time frame, you'll have to take that up with the world shipping market.
The other alternative would be to authorize vendors to refund customers instead of forcing us to wait potentially months for a product replacement. I should be able to get my money back now, in lieu of "taking it up with the world shipping market". This does not feel like we are being treated very fairly in this regard.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think Lou or TM will at least aknowledge complaints in regards to German made salt? Or is that can so big they won't touch it here?
Does anyone think Lou or TM will at least aknowledge complaints in regards to German made salt? Or is that can so big they won't touch it here?
Yea I noticed he he decided to not answer or engage my follow up questions on that exact subject but replied to other questions.
makes it seem like they are avoiding the issue by refusing to speak about it.
the same way they refused to believe there was an issue with the Turkish salt before tons of people voiced that they were all having the same issues and posting it online

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

That comes across as an odd reply to me. This was TM’s mess-up and is for TM to resolve the problem. If it is the ‘world shipping market’ causing the delays then that is TM’s problem and not the customer.

If they don’t have product available to immediately replace the bad buckets then they should find another solution IMO. The easiest of which should be a refund. In fact, IMO, this should be an option for all customers no matter if they have access to replacement product or not.

I don’t use TM salt, but I do use AFR, and that sort of response makes me consider switching that to something else.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That comes across as an odd reply to me. This was TM’s mess-up and is for TM to resolve the problem. If it is the ‘world shipping market’ causing the delays then that is TM’s problem and not the customer.

If they don’t have product available to immediately replace the bad buckets then they should find another solution IMO. The easiest of which should be a refund. In fact, IMO, this should be an option for all customers no matter if they have access to replacement product or not.

I don’t use TM salt, but I do use AFR, and that sort of response makes me consider switching that to something else.

Seems like a dang good reply to be honest. What more are you expecting? Immediate air drop replacement via drone? Come on. He has explained on a couple different posts how it should work. Provided information if said way isn't working. Pretty easy to send an email with the information he requested to assist. More than fair.

If you are struggling with the world shipping issue that is something you need to sort out.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I noticed he he decided to not answer or engage my follow up questions on that exact subject but replied to other questions.
the same way they refused to believe there was an issue with the Turkish salt before tons of people voiced that they were all having the same issues and posting it online

Maybe there isn't an issue?

If you believe there is use the email they provided and ask your question. Also offer to package up the salt, or a few cups of it, and send it to them for analysis.

The rest of us will continue to use our TM salt.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seems like a dang good reply to be honest. What more are you expecting? Immediate air drop replacement via drone? Come on. He has explained on a couple different posts how it should work. Provided information if said way isn't working. Pretty easy to send an email with the information he requested to assist. More than fair.

If you are struggling with the world shipping issue that is something you need to sort out.

Well we have to disagree.

I’m being intentionally flippant here but if I’ve bought a bucket of crap then why should I wait months for it to be replaced? I’ve explained what more I would expect, a refund.

Am what am I supposed to do in the mean time if I have to wait months for a replacement bucket and I had no TM left? I’m going to have to switch to something else. What if I then don’t want to switch back? I end up with a bucket of salt that I don’t want any more, as a result of their failure.

If they had stock available to replace the bad buckets in short order, that is one thing, but they don’t. Passing the blame for the delay, caused by their chosen resolution, to shipping companies is poor form in my opinion. I’m not saying they should row a boat across the Atlantic to get it to the US, but they shouldn’t be implying that customers are being unreasonable by being upset for being forced to wait months for a replacement for a product that was faulty.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus I feel the same here. Are you choosing to ignore us who have had issues with German salt?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we have to disagree.

I’m being intentionally flippant here but if I’ve bought a bucket of crap then why should I wait months for it to be replaced? I’ve explained what more I would expect, a refund.

Am what am I supposed to do in the mean time if I have to wait months for a replacement bucket and I had no TM left? I’m going to have to switch to something else. What if I then don’t want to switch back? I end up with a bucket of salt that I don’t want any more, as a result of their failure.

If they had stock available to replace the bad buckets in short order, that is one thing, but they don’t. Passing the blame for the delay, caused by their chosen resolution, to shipping companies is poor form in my opinion. I’m not saying they should row a boat across the Atlantic to get it to the US, but they shouldn’t be implying that customers are being unreasonable by being upset for being forced to wait months for a replacement for a product that was faulty.

Did you use the information that was provided?
Do you think you are the only one having issues? News flash, you are not.

Passing the blame as you put it, well, again that is your opinion. Unfortunately most people understand what is going on in the world around them. Car parts, home appliances, and house hold goods are all short due to supply chain / shipping issues. Might as well add salt to the mix. If you are not able to see that then you are being obstinate. Shipping is an issue. Container space pricing has gone up. Dock workers and unions are having their troubles. Look at other sub forums and see posts about price hikes. Why is that?

The good news is that the sky isn't falling. You just have some choices to make. Use the information and see what help is provided. This way you get your refund or salt. In the mean time find a salt that is close to your water chemistry and use it. It isn't going to hurt anything.

Side note - I ran out of TM Pro Reef. I knew I was getting close to bingo salt so started to shop around. Nothing local. Nothing online. Waited a bit more, nothing. I know TM is doing a lot and other hobbyists are buying. What do you think I did? Throw up my hands and scream like when Gertie meets ET for the first time? No, I found a salt that was close to my parameters and used it. Tropic Marin Bio Actif. Problem solved. I could have just as easily went with instant ocean.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back