Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can they push saltwater to handle replacements different than they are now?

Yes absolutely, do they have to? No.

If salt water refuses TM has that choice to cease business with them.
I would think if TM said do it this way or we'll cease doing business with you then any retailer who sees TM's business as valuable will comply. This is what I meant by TM using their power in this regard. If TM wants this handled as painlessly as possible they should flex their muscle. (IMO). :)

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think if TM said do it this way or we'll cease doing business with you then any retailer who sees TM's business as valuable will comply. This is what I meant by TM using their power in this regard. If TM wants this handled as painlessly as possible they should flex their muscle. (IMO). :)

Not disagreeing with you. However, at the same time how salt water handles this will effect my future and I'm sure others future business as well. Whether TM interferes or not the how salt water chooses to handle it is going to matter.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not disagreeing with you. However, at the same time how salt water handles this will effect my future and I'm sure others future business as well. Whether TM interferes or not the how salt water chooses to handle it is going to matter.
Totally agree. :)

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS replaced two boxes of TMPro I purchased in November 2021, no questions asked. Thank you both Tropic Marin and BRS.
043CFAC6-1D33-4BEC-8BBE-E66259A4F458.jpeg

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is coming Thursday. Good job Tropic Marin and BRS.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for disposing of the tainted salt? It just doesn't feel right to me to dump it in the garbage can.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is coming Thursday. Good job Tropic Marin and BRS.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for disposing of the tainted salt? It just doesn't feel right to me to dump it in the garbage can.

Weed killer, I see your in AZ so you don't need road/driveway salt like some of us!

I know there's more options as well.

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently received my replacement box from BRS. I'm very pleased with their response.

On a side note... Has there been any word on what the specific issue with the turkey salt was besides optical clarity? I'm considering using the "bad" salt to cure some live rock. Would this be insta-death for my new expensive Australian rock? Have any of you been using the turkey salt without issue?

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently received my replacement box from BRS. I'm very pleased with their response.

On a side note... Has there been any word on what the specific issue with the turkey salt was besides optical clarity? I'm considering using the "bad" salt to cure some live rock. Would this be insta-death for my new expensive Australian rock? Have any of you been using the turkey salt without issue?

I think people have talked about using it in FOWLR tanks.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

If is mixes up clean, I'd use it. The reported issue was clay made it into the mix. The reported ICP tests showed some resulted in elevated iron but not much else.

I have some of the recently imported Australian live rock -- nice stuff!

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That is definitely reassuring believe me. Here's where I am coming from. I've got a pallet of the German made classic, that I just broke into, and my first impression was that I did get a hint of that "citrus" smell people have mentioned.

however, it did seem to go away completely after the bag was open for a little bit. Shrugged that off completely. But, I finally used some, adding about half a bucket to my 375 gallon reservoir last night, and when I took a look this AM, I couldn't help but notice a very fine "opaquey oily" film on the surface. I honestly don't think I've seen this in my reservoir ever before but I could easily be wrong.

So what did I do? A massive WC on my back up system as a test this Am with the new classic salt. Just going to see how things do for a bit. I'd very much like to think this is much ado about nothing. And Lou I am honestly sorry for even having to consider there could in any way be a shred of an issue with the German salt. I do not want people to jump to any conclusions please.

But, I do have one other question, and that is for those who did have undeniable issues, about long long into using the salt were you when you started to observe obvious problems.
Adam,
I also experienced the oil slick from Pro salt and it was detrimental to my tank and corals. The slick was then also present in my tank from using it. I would't use it

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my salt replacement already from brs - that was fast. I wasn’t expecting to get it for weeks to months.

truth be told I feel like one of my last buckets of tmpro was Turkish, it left a lot of crusty residue in the barrel. This was before the issue ever popped up on the forum and I got rid of the bucket So I can’t say if it was Turkish or not, but my tanks were all fine including my 5g pico. I’m thinking about just adding a scoop or 2 of the Turkish salt to every 44g barrel I mix.

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far back was the Turkish salt shipped? I bought a box last July from BRS when inventory was short just in case I couldn't find it again when I needed it. I emptied it into a bucket and threw away the box and have barely used any but I have no idea if it is from Turkey or Germany.

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far back was the Turkish salt shipped? I bought a box last July from BRS when inventory was short just in case I couldn't find it again when I needed it. I emptied it into a bucket and threw away the box and have barely used any but I have no idea if it is from Turkey or Germany.
Smell it. My turkey salt had a strong smell, smelled like something you don't want to put in your tank. I've just been sent a replacement box of the German salt from BRS and it has no smell at all.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anybody know what the white flakey stuff that floats on the surface of the German salt is? This is new to me after 15 years of TM use, as well the thin oily film I am seeing. I am not 100% convinced at this point that this salt is perfectly fine.

The white specs on the right side of the pic are what I am referring too. After about three buckets, it just accumulated more and more. Does not seem to dissolve. Again, I have no memory of ever seeing this in my reservoir.

Anybody else seeing this in there German or Turkish salt at all?

I know it's terrible pic. Was actually a vid I tried to upload and failed so I just took a screen shot. Will work on getting the vid up

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.27.04 PM.png

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know what the white flakey stuff that floats on the surface of the German salt is? This is new to me after 15 years of TM use, as well the thin oily film I am seeing. I am not 100% convinced at this point that this salt is perfectly fine.

The white specs on the right side of the pic are what I am referring too. After about three buckets, it just accumulated more and more. Does not seem to dissolve. Again, I have no memory of ever seeing this in my reservoir.

I know it's terrible pic. Was actually a vid I tried to upload and failed so I just took a screen shot. Will work on getting the vid up

Hey Adam, if you take at face value that what Lou has said previously is true:

"There has been no change in the formula of Tropic Marin salt. This is true for both of our German facilities AND for our facility in Turkey. There has been no compromise in raw materials grades, mixing procedures or quality controls in ANY of our facilities, including our one in Turkey. There should be no differences in salt made from ANY of the Tropic Marin manufacturing facilities. We have done extensive and exhaustive testing of our salt products from our Turkish facility and find NO differences in comparison to the salt manufactured in our German facility. We encourage any user of Tropic Marin products to contact us directly, at the email or phone number above, with any complaints or concerns. We will be more than happy to help address your issue."

and

"In the past year and a half, Tropic Marin has expanded the capacity in its two facilities located in Germany. We have also added a new manufacturing facility in Turkey. All of our manufacturing facilities utilize the same grade of raw materials, the same stringent manufacturing and mixing standards, and the same extremely tight quality control monitoring. All of the manufacturing and monitoring is controlled and supervised by our long standing staff from Germany. The salts manufactured by Tropic Marin are indistinguishable in relation to which facility they come from..."

Then I think there indeed should be legitimate concern over German produced batches, not just Turkish. I posed the question in the other big thread, if they are all getting the same grade material and are under supervision of the same people, how do we know German produced salt is safe?

To which Hans replied:

I am sure our salt is safe since I use it every day in reef tanks, we have a lot of customers, public aquariums etc., that use it every day. So, how can I be sure?

Convinced?

To my knowledge we still have not been given any sort of explanation for how the bad salt passed QC when simply mixing it shows an obvious visual difference never mind the presence of a noticeable odor before mixing.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi - if you haven't done so please reach out to TM and have a quick talk. Lou has posted his direct line here a few times in various threads. I say this because I know you run a small business and if in doubt it doesn't hurt to talk to them. The source. They will know who you are, gives you a chance to talk, etc. If you have already done this then I apologize.

I personally use their salt (Germany only) and have not noticed anything be it my buckets of Pro Reef or Bio Actif. Please note that I do not run any aquaculture or frag systems such as you. Thus if in doubt reach out and see how they can help.

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Adam,

I'm still using the german batch as well. And while i haven't noticed white specs, I do get a film on top if I leave my water mixing for a while (best I can assume is maybe its some kind of biofilm that develops). I will say, I haven't seen any side effects and it has mixed like that for me for over a year (as long as I have been using it). T

hat being said, all of this is making me nervous to continue use. My acro collection is definitely not on your level, but I want to protect the 20-30 acros I have growing in as best as I can.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Adam, if you take at face value that what Lou has said previously is true:

"There has been no change in the formula of Tropic Marin salt. This is true for both of our German facilities AND for our facility in Turkey. There has been no compromise in raw materials grades, mixing procedures or quality controls in ANY of our facilities, including our one in Turkey. There should be no differences in salt made from ANY of the Tropic Marin manufacturing facilities. We have done extensive and exhaustive testing of our salt products from our Turkish facility and find NO differences in comparison to the salt manufactured in our German facility. We encourage any user of Tropic Marin products to contact us directly, at the email or phone number above, with any complaints or concerns. We will be more than happy to help address your issue."

and

"In the past year and a half, Tropic Marin has expanded the capacity in its two facilities located in Germany. We have also added a new manufacturing facility in Turkey. All of our manufacturing facilities utilize the same grade of raw materials, the same stringent manufacturing and mixing standards, and the same extremely tight quality control monitoring. All of the manufacturing and monitoring is controlled and supervised by our long standing staff from Germany. The salts manufactured by Tropic Marin are indistinguishable in relation to which facility they come from..."

Then I think there indeed should be legitimate concern over German produced batches, not just Turkish. I posed the question in the other big thread, if they are all getting the same grade material and are under supervision of the same people, how do we know German produced salt is safe?

To which Hans replied:

I am sure our salt is safe since I use it every day in reef tanks, we have a lot of customers, public aquariums etc., that use it every day. So, how can I be sure?

Convinced?

To my knowledge we still have not been given any sort of explanation for how the bad salt passed QC when simply mixing it shows an obvious visual difference never mind the presence of a noticeable odor before mixing.
I tend to agree with this. I've had issues with the German salt purchased in that time period as well.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 35 28.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 48.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back