Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of TM salts show out of stock on brs currently, could it be that TM is looking into the issue and halting all sales on their salt?

And if/when issue is found, will salts be recalled?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All of TM salts show out of stock on brs currently, could it be that TM is looking into the issue and halting all sales on their salt?

And if/when issue is found, will salts be recalled?

Or it could be that they've sold out.

It is still in stock and available to buy from other retailers.

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand there are others but I also think many many is not true…there are folks like myself that are not having problems, I do think there are folks like yourself that have issues which leads me to believe there is a batch issue..

the last few days here and on Facebook there are polls asking what salt there are using and it’s a split between I/o and tmp…and not one on the polls (Facebook)
which had over 400 saying they use tmp had not reported an issue

and for the record my icp test from almost exactly a year ago shown no iron, so I find the statement plausible
Didn’t start having issues until newer batches started coming from turkey is what I am thinking. Not sure if their suppliers changed or what when that happened.

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Or it could be that they've sold out.

It is still in stock and available to buy from other retailers.
Every single salt product line in every single size sold out all at once? Doubtful. I think BRS has gotten enough complaints and possibly TM has found something and proactively pulled stock until German and Turkish inventory can be separated out. I'm sure other retailers have stock available that have confirmed German batches (that's how I found some).

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Every single salt product line in every single size sold out all at once? Doubtful. I think BRS has gotten enough complaints and possibly TM has found something and proactively pulled stock until German and Turkish inventory can be separated out. I'm sure other retailers have stock available that have confirmed German batches (that's how I found some).

Well it wouldn’t be the first time that BRS has completely sold out of Tropic Marin salt!!

How many complaints have there been? There are a handful on here of the many (hundreds?) of people that use it. It could be a lot, it might not be many; only BRS and/or Tropic Marin would know.

Has anyone had problems with salt bought through other vendors that hasn’t come through the BRS supply chain?

Has everyone who has had problems forwarded their batch numbers to Tropic Marin? Despite being 15 pages in and having multiple threads it appears that people are still, even now, only just starting to look for the batch numbers. If this info could have been provided by everyone as soon as the issues were noticed, then maybe TM might have had more of a chance to either narrow down the issue to specific batches, locations or even just to say that there is no common link.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four unopened buckets which were back ordered from saltwater aquariums and they are all from Turkey.
Petco carries TM salt, might be able to find some German made at your local store, buy 4, and next day... you know the drill.. :cool:

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou,
I just got 3 boxes of TM Pro reef for my 300 gallon new set up. Two 44 pound boxes and one 27.5 pound box.
The two (44 pounds each box) of TM Pro Reef from Germany Today I mixed the two 44 pound boxes and had no issues.
Batch numbers 12944089 and 12944077
The 27.5 pound box is from Turkey, I did not open it and it has no batch numbers anywhere on the box to provide you. I am a bit concerned about using it...
Please contact me at [email protected] so we can discuss at your convenience.
Thank you,
Sal

IMG_0394.jpg IMG_0395.jpg IMG_0396.jpg

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I find that hard to believe when myself and many many others have never had iron readings in the past years and just in the past 6-8 months iron has started accumulating and going on. Rodi water tested, and all sorts of others. Look up SBB post on here about it, he has all his IcP tests posted up as it gradually gets worse and others with same issues.

I've read it all. I've followed all of this very closely since I have an unopened box of TMP and it was going to start my new 250g peninsula. I've been very interested in finding out what happened.

However, before anyone posted ICP tests with iron in the 30-40s, Hans had already said the German line of TMP had been 30+ for iron for over a decade.

I brought up to Hans that a couple recent ICP tests were showing elevated iron and manganese. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Facebook posts with those tests. It was then he said iron is usually around 30-40 with manganese around 6x higher at 180. (I'm going off memory for those numbers since I don't want to read 10+ pages to find it all again.)

Again, I'm not doubting the issues. I've seen the reports and posts before most. I still think something happened with a batch or two. My unopened box is from Germany (I said Turkey earlier in the thread but I was wrong) so I'll likely use it to start my new tank. An ICP will be done 2-3 days after it's all added and before I add any livestock. It will be a couple months before I have that info to contribute.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs on Facebook stated basically they are sold out and waiting for arrival of tropic Marin salt

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this out there. If anyone wanted to test the black sludge them self to avoid a middle man to possibley mislead what the black slime actually is would it be a viable test to say get some of the sludge on a napkin or rag and then mix that black sludge with rodi water and then send in for icp test ? Does anyone think this method would work to give me some information? Or does anyone have any ideas of what would be a better method ?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just throwing this out there. If anyone wanted to test the black sludge them self to avoid a middle man to possibley mislead what the black slime actually is would it be a viable test to say get some of the sludge on a napkin or rag and then mix that black sludge with rodi water and then send in for icp test ? Does anyone think this method would work to give me some information? Or does anyone have any ideas of what would be a better method ?

A few people in here have reported it was iron or manganese. I think one of them had it tested

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people in here have reported it was iron or manganese. I think one of them had it tested
Yes but I’d like to see with my own eyes. If that is the case and all I find I could then move on and comfortably use rest of my salt with no worries.

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read it all. I've followed all of this very closely since I have an unopened box of TMP and it was going to start my new 250g peninsula. I've been very interested in finding out what happened.

However, before anyone posted ICP tests with iron in the 30-40s, Hans had already said the German line of TMP had been 30+ for iron for over a decade.

I brought up to Hans that a couple recent ICP tests were showing elevated iron and manganese. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Facebook posts with those tests. It was then he said iron is usually around 30-40 with manganese around 6x higher at 180. (I'm going off memory for those numbers since I don't want to read 10+ pages to find it all again.)

Again, I'm not doubting the issues. I've seen the reports and posts before most. I still think something happened with a batch or two. My unopened box is from Germany (I said Turkey earlier in the thread but I was wrong) so I'll likely use it to start my new tank. An ICP will be done 2-3 days after it's all added and before I add any livestock. It will be a couple months before I have that info to contribute.
Don't get me wrong, trace elements included in salt is Iron, and I don't want to bash TMP at all, I used to laugh at folks that didn't use it. Im hoping bad batches got out from the new turkey location opening up and that it gets back to normal. But until then I'll be using Red Sea BB and from the response my two tanks got after switching it will be hard to get me to switch back until I see nobody having salt issues.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong, trace elements included in salt is Iron, and I don't want to bash TMP at all, I used to laugh at folks that didn't use it. Im hoping bad batches got out from the new turkey location opening up and that it gets back to normal. But until then I'll be using Red Sea BB and from the response my two tanks got after switching it will be hard to get me to switch back until I see nobody having salt issues.
Maybe these so-called iron issues in the Tropic Marin are only affecting people that are doing normal water changes on a weekly or biweekly basis of a percentage of 10% or more. But not affecting the people that are using it on an auto dosing system doing daily water changes of a very small percent the iron is not affecting anything dissipating out faster than it could build up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back