Pro tips for leaving for vacation and first apex controller

Buckwilds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting married on Saturday and going on my honeymoon to St Lucia to check out the rainforest and wicked wild reefs and decided that an apex was cheaper than a tank crash. I have people conning a few times in the 8 days I'll be gone but I'd like to be able to keep an eye from afar because the power grid in our area is like 3rd world country level. What should I really make sure to do before leaving? And are they any amazon prime eligible accessories that you'd recommend I get overnighted? Also any tips for keeping things stable while away are appreciated, 8 month old 60G tank (plus 20g sump) with a little bit of a HA problem, and fluval reef 2.0 leds on a schedule is what I'm working with.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is not set up an Apex right before you leave for vacation and expect it to work and save your tank.
There are many little tweaks that you have to do when setting up a controller to run properly. It can take several months to work out the kinks and simulate problems and make sure the programming does want it needs to do.
Best thing to do is keep it simple make sure that your ATO is working and you have a enough water to last 8 to 10 day trip.. Make sure that you have a way to dose Cal, Alk and that you have enough to handle a 8 to 10 day trip.
Then don't do anything to change the situation for at least 10 days before your trip. So that you know everything is working properly.
Changing things right before a trip has caused more tank issues than anything.
Make sure the person looking after your tank knows how to turn on and off any equipment and know how to fix any issues that they might encounter while you are away.Every tank has their quirks and show them to the person that will be watching your tank.
When you come back if you want set up a controller and send time automating the various processes in your aquarium till your next vacation.
Getting in a hurry is never a good idea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back