Probably Overthinking Things

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a very stupid question, but what do you guys use to wash you fish-dishes? We feed the LRS Reef Frenzy Nano, but the pieces of meat are still too large for the tiny mouths of the firefish we have, so I end up having to mince the frozen chunks before they're thawed. Nearly everything I've read says not to use soaps or detergents when cleaning things in and around the tank, but not doing so for the knife and cutting board that comes into contact with raw seafood daily is just a biohazard. I'd prefer not to poison the fish with trace elements of dish soap, but we don't have a dishwasher to even do just a hot water cycle. What do you guys use? "Reef-safe" soap brand recommendations are welcome as well!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bon ami

or barkeeps friend

and a non wood cutting board, glass preferably. These are not strong anti bacterial and they don’t linger, labs wash their $ gear with these, the surfaces are rendered very clean due to physical removal and surface tension lowering but rinsing off leaves no trace. A wood cutting board is going to remnant everything that was ever cut on it

its a valid question, if I was washing reef gear it would literally be only those two among a 150 soap options.

if dawn is safe for a baby duck lol then who knows....they didn’t use it in my work lab or my school lab it was bon ami. Bon ami is the top lab ware cleaner for fifty years I bet a lab tech poll would show.

bleach water is a very nice reef biofilm cutter and clean rinse wo no leftovers.

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to the dollar store and thrift store and buy stuff just to use for the fish like cutting boards and glasses.
I scrub them with hot water in the sink to clean them with a foam scratchy thing I have just for that. I do run mine through the dishwasher occasionally. I do use dish soap on glass but not plastic.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back