problem controling a nicrew 50W lamp

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah. Yeah. I own more bespoke crimp tools now than I care to admit...

Most of the JSTs I can just stab the visible locking tab with a pair of small tweezers and get it to pop out.
I will say though even when it when full output, reef-pi still was unable to control it so I think its part of the problem but maybe not, bit is broken right at the crimp point, hoping that is why things are flaky....so I need to fix that first and then go from there but how to quickly fix it, that is the question.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, and there I was figuring out all the internals :grinning-squinting-face:
Well not sure this is the issue but that cable is messed up on one of the PWM channels, would that be enough to mess it up, I dunno...

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I patched that one cable but it's still flaky, move that cable and it goes full blast, not real sure which cable is doing it and its just one end, guess I need to at least replace that cable but even when its full blast it ignores the front panel and seems to ignore reef-pi settings, so still lost at this point, lol.

OP
OP
S

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I patched that one cable but it's still flaky, move that cable and it goes full blast, not real sure which cable is doing it and its just one end, guess I need to at least replace that cable but even when its full blast it ignores the front panel and seems to ignore reef-pi settings, so still lost at this point, lol.
Maybe you also have a solder joint on the board that's flaky. When you press the cable, you pinch the board and reconnect/disconnect some solder joint.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you also have a solder joint on the board that's flaky. When you press the cable, you pinch the board and reconnect/disconnect some solder joint.
I reflowed all the through hole joints, I could totally un-solder it nd re-do it, but I did reflow the points.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the other unit arrived and I plugged it in and its kind of working, lol. I'm starting to not like these lights. So I had the channels set to 0 and they turned off and will ramp up and down appropriately so thats working as I would expect with a trs plug. Now the down side is they filcker really bad, I have the pca9685 driver is set to 1500 but does'nt seem to make a difference, I think its something with the timing since internally the nicrew is also using pwm. I can set it lower and it flashes slower, lol. I did plug in the 5v usb adapter and it worked and was nice and solid, so while it works it's still not there. I know when I tested on the Kessil there was no flicker, so its unique to the nicrew...sigh

So I think if I want to continue to use these I am going to have to figure out another way to control them vs @Ranjib lighting guide, that is what I am using right now and its flicker city. Oh and I still need to figure out if I can get the other board to work, smh...

Maybe I need to do something like @robsworld78 is doing since it appears to work for him - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lights-flicker-when-controlled-by-reef-pi.824488/post-8946323

Here is what I currently am doing right now - https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-lighting-controller/circuit-construction

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the other unit arrived and I plugged it in and its kind of working, lol. I'm starting to not like these lights. So I had the channels set to 0 and they turned off and will ramp up and down appropriately so thats working as I would expect with a trs plug. Now the down side is they filcker really bad, I have the pca9685 driver is set to 1500 but does'nt seem to make a difference, I think its something with the timing since internally the nicrew is also using pwm. I can set it lower and it flashes slower, lol. I did plug in the 5v usb adapter and it worked and was nice and solid, so while it works it's still not there. I know when I tested on the Kessil there was no flicker, so its unique to the nicrew...sigh
The flicker you see is likely a beating signal between your input PWM and the internal PWM. The closer your PWM frequency to the internal frequency, the more visible the flicker.

You can try 2 things:
First, test different frequencies, e.g. 1500 Hz and go down in 100Hz steps. Note where the flickering is the slowest. Use half that frequency. That’s likely to be the least flickering that way.
Second: you can change the circuit to give you a DC signal.
One method: soldering a 100nF capacitor onto each signal input of the microcontroller on the input board. That way your dimming will become slightly non-linear, but without flicker.
Second method:
Modify the 10V PWM circuit to output 0-10V DC using a resistor, a capacitor and a diode for each channel.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flicker you see is likely a beating signal between your input PWM and the internal PWM. The closer your PWM frequency to the internal frequency, the more visible the flicker.

You can try 2 things:
First, test different frequencies, e.g. 1500 Hz and go down in 100Hz steps. Note where the flickering is the slowest. Use half that frequency. That’s likely to be the least flickering that way.
Second: you can change the circuit to give you a DC signal.
One method: soldering a 100nF capacitor onto each signal input of the microcontroller on the input board. That way your dimming will become slightly non-linear, but without flicker.
Second method:
Modify the 10V PWM circuit to output 0-10V DC using a resistor, a capacitor and a diode for each channel.
Whats going to be the easiest, lol. THe circuit I am running is the one listed on the lighting guide, couple of resistors and npn. The flickering seems to be worse at the lower voltages vs the higher ones, so just need to remove the flickering and still figure out the other board, lol.

OP
OP
S

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
047FDB45-7B9B-4BDC-BF92-7C4B3A855DF0.jpeg

Basically like this. The diode charges the capacitor over the original 1k resistor, the other 1k resistor limits the discharge when the transistor is activated. That way charge and discharge are about equal and you get about 0-10V from your 0-100% PWM.
A 1microFarad capacitor is minimum, 10 would be better to reduce residual Flimmer.

that gives you 2 channels of 0-10V „DC“.
If you do that you can, just for fun, measure „0V“. I imagine that should actually be something like 0.6V ^^

Last edited:

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Basically like this. The diode charges the capacitor over the original 1k resistor, the other 1k resistor limits the discharge when the transistor is activated. That way charge and discharge are about equal and you get about 0-10V from your 0-100% PWM.
A 1microFarad capacitor is minimum, 10 would be better to reduce residual Flimmer.

If you do that you can, just for fun, measure „0V“. I imagine that should actually be something like 0.6V ^^
I do not think I have any diodes at least not small ones, what kind of diodes am I looking for. The only caps I have on hand, the smallest ones are 100uf, does that matter?

OP
OP
S

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think I have any diodes at least not small ones, what kind of diodes am I looking for. The only caps I have on hand, the smallest ones are 100uf, does that matter?
General purpose diodes for more than 10V. I think 1N4001 should be fine. You don’t need those diodes, they just improve linearity between 0 to 90%. Without them 50% will give you more like 40% intensity.

100 micro is fine, that will be very stable voltage, e.g. no flicker from your signal. Although you’ll find that your lamp will react slower to sudden changes, about 0.4s for full ramp-up for example.

Last edited:

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered some stuff, will be in tomorrow, but meanwhile what do you think my next steps on the problem child be...I could take apart the working one to look at the new board layout and see if that helps but leary to take apart a working unit, lol. Still would like to get the other one working I need 3 of them and would rather purchase one more vs 2.

Still need to figure out why the cable is still flaky, going low to high flexing the cable is not right for sure but I think there is still something more not right. The new one acted just like I thought it should, put the trs plug and it turned off the lights but that old one, that board was messed up from day one and I had no idea...

OP
OP
S

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered some stuff, will be in tomorrow, but meanwhile what do you think my next steps on the problem child be...I could take apart the working one to look at the new board layout and see if that helps but leary to take apart a working unit, lol. Still would like to get the other one working I need 3 of them and would rather purchase one more vs 2.

Still need to figure out why the cable is still flaky, going low to high flexing the cable is not right for sure but I think there is still something more not right. The new one acted just like I thought it should, put the trs plug and it turned off the lights but that old one, that board was messed up from day one and I had no idea...
Hm, now that we know the problem you might test continuity of the cable lines during flexing.
Afterwards I would try to look at the signals on the cable pins during flexing and see which ones change and how they change when the light lights up. I would use the 5V signal for that.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just want to make sure I understand the fritz update above, I assume I keep all the existing resistors in place and I am just adding to the original design, correct?

Here is my current layout and trying to figure out how I need to correct it in order to match what you have (no laughing, lol. :)
PXL_20230121_155627144.jpg

From the top comes in PWM and ground from reef-pi, down to the right comes in 10v. One question is the long ground wire that I have from the top to the bottom, I can shorten that and have it start at the very top, is it going to matter if that path travel through the cap? My other question would it matter if I have the diode and resistor coming from the same hole? I do not think that matters but if not I would need to move my npn down, trying to avoid as much rework as possible. :)

Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to figure out how to move things around to match the diagram.

Last edited:

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so everyone can get a laugh out of my reef-pi build, lol...uses the great @Michael Lane hat in a meat sandhich container, lol...robotank its not for sure, lol...

PXL_20230121_160811719.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to make sure I understand the fritz update above, I assume I keep all the existing resistors in place and I am just adding to the original design, correct?

Here is my current layout and trying to figure out how I need to correct it in order to match what you have (no laughing, lol. :)
PXL_20230121_155627144.jpg

From the top comes in PWM and ground from reef-pi, down to the right comes in 10v. One question is the long ground wire that I have from the top to the bottom, I can shorten that and have it start at the very top, is it going to matter if that path travel through the cap? My other question would it matter if I have the diode and resistor coming from the same hole? I do not think that matters but if not I would need to move my npn down, trying to avoid as much rework as possible. :)

Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to figure out how to move things around to match the diagram.
Well, if both your PWM‘s 5V and your 10V come from an LM2596 each that both share the same 12V supply, I think you technically don’t need to connect these „two“ GNDs (because they are technically one and the same).
You could however move that GND connection over to the left and connect it with the GND connection of the left transistor.

then you would have an empty lane next to both your 10V PWM signals to connect the resistors, diodes and capacitors to. Connecting several components into the same hole should not be a problem

OP
OP
S

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and yeah, you would only add to the original circuit.

Don’t worry about asking. The upside is that you’ll actually get answers and won’t ask again, whereas others never ask and never get the answer ;)

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if both your PWM‘s 5V and your 10V come from an LM2596 each that both share the same 12V supply, I think you technically don’t need to connect these „two“ GNDs (because they are technically one and the same).
You could however move that GND connection over to the left and connect it with the GND connection of the left transistor.

then you would have an empty lane next to both your 10V PWM signals to connect the resistors, diodes and capacitors to. Connecting several components into the same hole should not be a problem
The buck converter supplies is stepping down 12v to 10v, I have a separate 5v supply feeding the rpi. So I have a ground coming from buck and the rpi side of things if that make sense so they all tie together. I think that is an interesting idea, I will swing that one ground wire across then down and that should give me the space to lay it out as pictured.

I need 12v supplying power to the outlets, uses one of those DJ power strips and they use 12v relays, I need a multi tap buck converter that will take some input voltage and allow me to spit out multiple voltages, in this case I need 5v, 10v and 12v, lol.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the changes to the board and not a single flicker, solid as a rock so I would like to document that layout for anyone that wants to run these lights without a robotank, since I think Rob has his working fine but the standard Kessil circuit will not work. Really appreciate you laying that out, thinking I will have three lights and want to control the one light separate from the 2 end lights so I will need to work another one up.

Now back to the problem child, something with that board is whack, I removed the connector on the board and soldered the wire directly and if i tap that board all the lights flicker or light up etc, so something on that board is not solid but not sure what or where it could be, maybe I should re-touch all of the solder joints on the top side, maybe one is cracked but something is not happy...lol.

Will do that in the morning, since I am not sure what else to do at this point....

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back