[PROBLEM] DOS Bubbles in lines - How to fix this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

So my story begins with the first DOS & DDR Dosing System Package that I purchased around 6 years ago. And then I couldn't do anything; my unit was always with bubbles in the airline and draining back into the container. I have the Check Valves installed at the end of each dosing line as well, and it's not helping. The air leak is somewhere in the DOS or DDR units that I couldn't fix so I've sold the unit.

But last week I've decided to update my system and got the full Apex package with Trident, DOS, DDR ... everything. And I can't believe it, it's the same issue. I've started Googling, and so many people have the same issue; why has Neptune System not addressed this problem for so many years? :oops:

Anyone can help me please, I'm sure there must be a DIY fix for this.

Thanks.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

So my story begins with the first DOS & DDR Dosing System Package that I purchased around 6 years ago. And then I couldn't do anything; my unit was always with bubbles in the airline and draining back into the container. I have the Check Valves installed at the end of each dosing line as well, and it's not helping. The air leak is somewhere in the DOS or DDR units that I couldn't fix so I've sold the unit.

But last week I've decided to update my system and got the full Apex package with Trident, DOS, DDR ... everything. And I can't believe it, it's the same issue. I've started Googling, and so many people have the same issue; why has Neptune System not addressed this problem for so many years? :oops:

Anyone can help me please, I'm sure there must be a DIY fix for this.

Thanks.
This is pretty simple. Determine where the leak is that air is entering and fix it. This is most likely a user error. Not a Neptune’s problem.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty simple. Determine where the leak is that air is entering and fix it. This is most likely a user error. Not a Neptune’s problem.

Man, there is like 6 connection points. It's hard to mess up with this ...
I've checked each connection already 10 times.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol turn the dose on and look at the connection points to see bubbles entering the clear lines. It’s not rocket science. The bubbles will go in the direction the fluid is going. If there is no bubbles before the connection and only bubbles after the connection odds are it’s from that connection forward not backward. And then use common sense to repair it.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 5 dos. I’ve been thru this before many times your not the first one. And 80% the time my issue was line cracked at the dos connection where it squeezes over the nipple on dos

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the other 20% of the time my issue was the connection at the ddr. When They build a connection for DDR the tube that goes into the container they slide it too far into the fitting that’s not allowing your hose to fully bottom out because it hits the clear acrylic tube. I have had to replace that with my own

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And again during my diagnosis the bubbles would come from after the fitting and no bubbles before the fitting at the DDR

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I end up having to buy new fittings John guest for the DDR I had to drill the bottom side of the fitting larger to fit the clear acrylic rod that I also bought had to then glue the new acrylic rod into the new fitting and screw it back into the DDR. I’ve also had to do this for the simplicity reservoirs

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 5 dos. I’ve been thru this before many times your not the first one. And 80% the time my issue was line cracked at the dos connection where it squeezes over the nipple on dos
So are you saying all your lines have bubbles or only 1 line. First thing narrow it down to which line has bubbles
Then that is the system to look at.
Turn that dos pump on thru apex and watch for bubbles and narrow it down more.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it is kind of hard to push the line onto nipple of dos and hold it on while tightening the nut to secure line. I work with my hands for a living and I myself have a hard time with this I can imagine others do to. I have seen people buy push type of fittings to install on the dos to eliminate this issue. They remove the nut and screw onto this threads. I’m betting this is your issue. Maybe try to post some pictures of what you got going on.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will check. But I don't understand, you are saying it's user error only and then saying you've drilled .... replaced .... all the threads around DDR are the same it's a lot of complains around this unit.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will check. But I don't understand, you are saying it's user error only and then saying you've drilled .... replaced .... all the threads around DDR are the same it's a lot of complains around this unit.
I’m saying Most likely user error if leak is at dos due to you not installing line properly. I have seen and dealt with this most. Especially when we are talking about 2 separate units bought at different times having the exact same issue. Then I’m saying Ive also had issues with fitting at ddr. And I explained how I repaired this if it is the issue I ran Into. Then I’m saying YOU NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHERE LEAK IS FIRST to then determine what the fix is. And for what it’s worth there is not a lot of threads about people complaining about this that I have seen.

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I will add in the 5 dos units that I have running daily Ive only experienced these 2 things and figured out the issue within a few min every time. Just take your time and do good Thurrell inspection

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odds are if you press prime button on dose for the one that has bubbles you will see only bubbles on the output side of the pump head due to the suction side line to pump head being the issue . If it was the supply side most likely if connection was not right it would (push water out) leak water.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had the same issue the first time I set mine up. You really have to push the line onto the DOS fitting at the doser. Or it will draw air. It will happen again over time. I was keep extra dosing line on hand and replacing the line when this happens. TSA sells a kit of push connections for DOS. You use RO tubing. I haven’t had a problem since switching. There is no drilling required.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue the first time I set mine up. You really have to push the line onto the DOS fitting at the doser. Or it will draw air. It will happen again over time. I was keep extra dosing line on hand and replacing the line when this happens. TSA sells a kit of push connections for DOS. You use RO tubing. I haven’t had a problem since switching. There is no drilling required.
Hi, what is TSA, I want to get what you recommend, since I am getting bubbles and ultimately missed doses...even though the DOS said it is dosing.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue with the DOS when I was using it for awc. Neptune recommended using sureethane tubing instead of ro or airline tubing. I haven't had the issue since.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi, what is TSA, I want to get what you recommend, since I am getting bubbles and ultimately missed doses...even though the DOS said it is dosing.
Top shelf aquatics. They had them for sale previously. I don’t see them on the site now. Here’s a screen shot of what I’m using. Pic is from someone’s post.

Attachments

• 18278B87-9AD4-4BB3-922F-02822B459600.png
    18278B87-9AD4-4BB3-922F-02822B459600.png
    778.3 KB · Views: 126

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back