Problem: I just came from the lumber yard...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came from the lumber yard. I planned on building a stand for my new 125 gallon tank using 1x6s. But the guy at the lumber yard said that I'm better off using 2x4s as they are stronger due to their thickness.

I don't know what to do.

Guidance please?

Thank you.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given wood of the same strength and proper frame design the 1 x 6 will be stiffer/stronger. The geometry factor in the ruling equations is "moment of inertia", and a thinner but taller shape will be stiffer in bending. If your 1 x 6 stand is built in a way that uses the boards on edge and braces them so they don't buckle it will be fine. Corner post/leg construction might be simpler with 2x4s (or 4x4s depending on the size of the tank), but certainly can be safely done with 1x lumber with proper design.

What does you design look like?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given wood of the same strength and proper frame design the 1 x 6 will be stiffer/stronger. The geometry factor in the ruling equations is "moment of inertia", and a thinner but taller shape will be stiffer in bending. If your 1 x 6 stand is built in a way that uses the boards on edge and braces them so they don't buckle it will be fine. Corner post/leg construction might be simpler with 2x4s (or 4x4s depending on the size of the tank), but certainly can be safely done with 1x lumber with proper design.

What does you design look like?

Difficult to describe and no skills/software to create an image.

Basically, I want to create and upper and lower rail equal to the tank footprint (72" x 18"). Then 4 vertical supports along the back.

In the front, I also want 4 vertical supports, however these will not be equidistant. My sump is 48" so I would need to have a 49" opening in the front with the remaining space on each side having 2 vertical supports.

It is because of this opening that I wanted to use 1x6s. The front of the tank will have a span of 49 inches that is unsupported.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't worry about using 1x6"s seeing how we totally overkill these diy stand builds with 2x4's. I built my old 100g stand with 4x4"s. I could probably rest a ford f-650 on it (eight 4x4's @ 4,300lbs capacity each).
Mine is 2x6 wrapped or framed with 2x4s lol we literally did put a Porsche 914 on it lol

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I bet it probably didn’t even creak.
No. But we knew it was overkill. Mrs told me she was afraid the tank would fall off stand or stand to break. Was biting her nails over the stand… so we went above and beyond lol. Im not sure if the stand doesnt weigh more than 25g with water hahaha

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. But we knew it was overkill. Mrs told me she was afraid the tank would fall off stand or stand to break. Was biting her nails over the stand… so we went above and beyond lol. Im not sure if the stand doesnt weigh more than 25g with water hahaha
I couldn’t lift a corner of my stand off of the ground to get a furniture dolly under it. I had to make a lever system out of 2x4”s and pushed against the inside front brace to tilt the stand backwards. That stand has to weigh at least 500lbs. It’s going to become my new workbench and tool cabinet next month.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to describe and no skills/software to create an image.

Basically, I want to create and upper and lower rail equal to the tank footprint (72" x 18"). Then 4 vertical supports along the back.

In the front, I also want 4 vertical supports, however these will not be equidistant. My sump is 48" so I would need to have a 49" opening in the front with the remaining space on each side having 2 vertical supports.

It is because of this opening that I wanted to use 1x6s. The front of the tank will have a span of 49 inches that is unsupported.

Is the stand going to be sheeted on the sides and back or open?

Given the size of the tank and the requirement for the 4' open span I would probably not use a single 1x6 rail on the upper front. Though it might be fine if it is cross braced to the rear upper in several places. Switching to 2X material would be a safe option, but if the stand frame will be visible and aesthetics are a concern I might stick with the 1x lumber for the sharper corners and less clunky look. In any case I don't think I would use a 2x4 for the front rail with the 4' open span, a 2x6, doubled 1x6, or even the single 1x6 (braced) would be a safer choice.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that holding up a 914 is a real test for a tank stand, they certainly weight a lot less that many reef tanks. :)

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the stand going to be sheeted on the sides and back or open?

Given the size of the tank and the requirement for the 4' open span I would probably not use a single 1x6 rail on the upper front. Though it might be fine if it is cross braced to the rear upper in several places. Switching to 2X material would be a safe option, but if the stand frame will be visible and aesthetics are a concern I might stick with the 1x lumber for the sharper corners and less clunky look. In any case I don't think I would use a 2x4 for the front rail with the 4' open span, a 2x6, doubled 1x6, or even the single 1x6 (braced) would be a safer choice.

Initially, it will be an open stand. But in the end, it will be wrapped with furniture grade ply.

Yes, I intend to cross brace.

I agree... with the 4' span, I'm most confident in a double 1x6.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sounds like youre building something like this:
45E25252-F581-49CF-A3B5-D726E536A1F8.jpeg
30438FE6-EBB2-4140-888D-0BB14573AB3A.jpeg

And in that case, I recommend 5/4 X 4 due to it normally being mostly clear (no knots) but check each board and only choose ones that are straight and clear.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand was built for a 125g, had about a 40” opening for my 36” sump, with an internal 5/4x4 frame and the oak as a skin.

5/4... does that come in 8 ft lengths?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back