Problem with 3152 Nano Osmolator

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ectogamut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am on my second ATO. I recently ordered my first Tunze last week online; setup was very straightforward and easy, and all seemed well. As soon as I plugged in the unit, the pump kicked on and topped off my 30g beautifully...and that was it. The sensor never triggered, even after I siphoned out enough water to drop it below the sensor completely. The only way I could get the ATO to work was to unplug it and replug it. My assumption was a faulty sensor and so I went ahead and exchanged it for a new one.

Fast forward to today and I have the exact same issue, leading me to believe that I have either incorrectly installed the system or I have extremely bad luck with them! I currently have my water level sitting completely below the sensor with no trigger to the pump at all. While the unit is plugged I can hear the pump pulse every 10 seconds. Any help here would be greatly appreciated because I've heard great things about the Tunze ATO.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I am on my 3rd pump, I thought my issues were with using a kalk solution in the ATO container. This third pump has been running well (knock on wood). I would contact Tunze they seem to be pretty reliable with good customer service.

The Kahnasaur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue if it'll help or not, but when I first installed mine I was having a similar issue. After talking with Tunze, they helped me determine that the magnet holding the sensor in place was too strong for my glass thickness. It was interfering with the sensor so that it would not trigger to start the pump. After adding a cardboard spacer on the outside of my glass(between the magnets), my problem was solved.

Unplugging and plugging back in the pump should always cause it to run even if it's just briefly, which you said yours did. That makes me think it is not your pump but rather something with the sensor.

OP
OP
Ectogamut

Ectogamut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I saw the thread that talked about the magnet being too strong and so I tried putting a piece of cardboard between them, to no avail. The pump is definitely in good working order though since it will pulse shortly every 10 seconds.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did exactly the same thing. It would only run if I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Mine might run for a couple hours and then just stop.

OP
OP
Ectogamut

Ectogamut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just really strange that I've had the exact same thing happen with two different systems. Makes me think that I'm doing something wrong

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check to see the float level is moving by add or remove some water,if it is the system is faulty
It a simple system

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the safety timer feature. Out of the box if the pump ever runs a continuous 1.8 minutes it turns off and never runs again, it just pulses the pump as a warning that it has timed out. This is explained on pages 22-29, for tanks over 25 gallons you need to increase the safety timer to 3 minutes. Unplugging it and plugging it back in resets the timer. This safety exists if the float were to ever stick or fail.

OP
OP
Ectogamut

Ectogamut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation, but this happened to be completely my fault. Not once did I think that the water level might just be too low and so once I raised it up a bit the system worked perfectly and has been since. Really great product and I'm glad I went with Tunze!

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question on this, the water level too low in the Top Off Container, that's why the pump shut itself off? and won't turn again until the water level in the Top Off Container is being replenished?

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to reset the module(power off/power on) after you replenished the container.
Make sure you prime the pump,otherwise water will not come out.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ro/di so drinkable right? Unless someone uses kalk, then it won't taste so good if accident happens
Siphon with my mouth while the pump is running

I turn it side way and shake it a bit or pull it half way above the water then down under water....as soon as some water enters the hose, you are done. There is a video of a guy on RC. He drills 3 holes on the pump to fix this air inside the Tunze pump issue. Seems to work very well.
Let me find that video and Roger can comment if that is good and maybe change the design of the pumps :)

Here is the video

how do you prime the pump?
Thanks

Wy8tt_Earp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine automatically primes itself if I unplug the power from the controller. I had an issue with water continuously flowing after the pump shut off. I tried many different things to fix this. Finally I decided to added check valve about 6 inches before the water returned to the sump. Runs like a champ!!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller has no way to detect water level in the container, it has a timer system and on the Nano Osmolator if the pump runs for 1.8 or 3 (if changed inside the controller as described on pages 26-29) minutes, it turns off and won't run again until you cycle the power.

The hole drilled in the pump will work, I actually spent well over a month trying to implement this solution into production, it isn't done for a reason. If the water level in the bucket is low the just shooting out of that hole has enough force to exit the bucket and cause water damage. I never could find an angle or method of drilling the hole and I even tried some rediculously tiny drill bits that weren't any bigger than a sewing needle. The surest way to prime an airlock pump is tip it upside down while submerged any time it runs dry or is transferred to another bucket.

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tunze osmolater is doing the same as these guys. Ato is full, water sensor is completely out of water and will not go to "too low" pump never comes on at all. Only way it comes on is if i unplug it and replug it in. Then only runs for 5 seconds and never comes on again..

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is
My tunze osmolater is doing the same as these guys. Ato is full, water sensor is completely out of water and will not go to "too low" pump never comes on at all. Only way it comes on is if i unplug it and replug it in. Then only runs for 5 seconds and never comes on again..

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a nano osmolator or Osmolator? The Nano Osmolator has no too low indicator. If this is a regular Osmolator, the lights showing on the display will give us our answer. I will be offline until Wednesday.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back