Problem with a fallow tank

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i have a problem!! My tank went fallow may 17 because i had brook in my system. I know that i could be ading fish but ill be moving the tank soon so im just waiting to do that before adding any fish. My problem is that since maybe 2-3 weeks i have an algea outburst and its aslo affecting my corals it, they look irritated what should i do? Also note that my tanks has a wierd funky smell and i feel like some of my snails just dont look that good.
I'll be happy to share pics with you guys i just want your help!!:(:(

Thanks and sorry for my english, its not my first language!!:)Is

is it dinos or is it normal should i had more nutrients, water change?

Just ask for the pics or any specifications!!

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no bio load your tank could be too clean. That’s usually when I get Dino popping up. That could take a toll on your snails as well.
Are you feeding or doing anything to supply the tank with food without fish?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there you go! without the blues and uv’s off the algae looks pretty green!
temperature: 79 fahrenheit

now: nitrates are about 5 with the salifert test kit
phosphates: i'll post them in 5 minutes

Before: the nitrates were about 10ppm and the phosphates were pretty low i can't remember , i dont have the ultra low checker only the normal one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no bio load your tank could be too clean. That’s usually when I get Dino popping up. That could take a toll on your snails as well.
Are you feeding or doing anything to supply the tank with food without fish?
no but i stoped doing water changes and i didn,t change my sock( i know it may sound stupid) to keep a acceptable nutrient level since it was already low

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phosphates are showing 0,00 but so i won't know the exact number but its pretty low:oops:

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many gallons is this tank

there's a special way to clean nanos/smaller tanks vs large ones, rendering them perfectly clean, and it doesnt harm fallow progress at all. its not a doser its a cleaning technique, but its not easy to run on large tanks. best for small tanks

how many gallons is this reef here

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many gallons is this tank

there's a special way to clean nanos/smaller tanks vs large ones, rendering them perfectly clean, and it doesnt harm fallow progress at all. its not a doser its a cleaning technique, but its not easy to run on large tanks. best for small tanks

how many gallons is this reef here
it’s a 40 gallon cube with a 10ish gallon sump

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok check this out, these were 30 gallon setups like yours, smaller:

none of this harms fallow

it’s refreshing and invigorating for a tank, in fact

this is called a rip clean, we deep clean from the bottom of the sand to the top of the rocks and put back only clean substrates. All details shown there, before and after.

of course that’s more work than just changing a parameter and waiting, but it’s a nice force control option to master for nano reefing in general. We use the method to rehab bad tanks

even if you don’t want to run that cleaning now, not a problem. Keep the reference handy for when you do want to run it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok check this out, these were 30 gallon setups like yours, smaller:

none of this harms fallow

it’s refreshing and invigorating for a tank, in fact

this is called a rip clean, we deep clean from the bottom of the sand to the top of the rocks and put back only clean substrates. All details shown there, before and after.

of course that’s more work than just changing a parameter and waiting, but it’s a nice force control option to master for nano reefing in general. We use the method to rehab bad tanks

even if you don’t want to run that cleaning now, not a problem. Keep the reference handy for when you do want to run it.
thanks i'll get into the reading when i get the time!

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The end result of a rip clean is no bad smell, all organics are gone not rotting

all the dinos or cyano is gone, cleaned out

the tank is ready for renewed feeding now that its clean and this drives up coral health as you wait for fallow to clear.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would it be a good idea to add fish back to get the nutrients up or should i wait and ghost feed?

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost feed, adding clean food won’t bring in fish disease as best we can tell from patterns in the disease forum

adding foods like reefroids or pellets etc are certainly free from disease as they are dry. Deep cleaning might actually assist fallow, by exporting disease components especially if any are housed in a sandbed. This deep clean is how we move tanks home to home without loss, it’s really a tank transfer technique we adapted for tanks not moving, too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost feed, adding clean food won’t bring in fish disease as best we can tell from patterns in the disease forum

adding foods like reefroids or pellets etc are certainly free from disease. Deep cleaning might actually assist fallow, by exporting disease components especially if any are housed in a sandbed.
good i think that my fallow period is done though! I don't really have the time for a deep cleaning right now thats the issue

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no prob, then proceed as you will. that's the best way to fix the smell and algae imbalance. it can wait as long as you need to. if fallow is done, add in only quarantined/observed and treated fish and youll be all set.

Upvote 0

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back