Problem with doing a Strontium test

Ruzology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Salifert test kit and have tested for calcium as the first stage in the test kiytbut when I reach step 8 adding x2 level spoons of Sr-5 I get a light ink/purple colour. Then 12 min later I need to add drops of Sr-3 until the colour changes to blue. Problem is after 12 min the colour is already blue! Does than mean my Strontium level is off the chart low and I ned to add this element or is my test kit faulty. Or possibly too old as I have had it for a long time...

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not familiar with that specific test kit for that item, but I did want to jump in and welcome you to Reef2Reef!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!!! That is a good question. I am unfamiliar with Salifert and how Strontium levels affect the Calcium test. Someone here might very well use Salifert and help you out.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Fellow R2R members, correct me if I am wrong, but, I believe none of the trace elements test kits are really accurate. They just don't measure in the low range very well. The margin of error is just to wide.

I use the Trident test for those reasons.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Salifert test kit is a titration based test and is relatively easy to use. It just takes a little longer as you first test for calcium and then move onto the final step, this takes between 12-15 minutes. Strontium appears and looks like calcium, as it gets deposited into precipitating calcium carbonate in place of calcium. This is also true whether its a coral depositing its skeleton, or abiotic precipitation on heaters, pumps, etc.
Strontium will decline in a reef tank if it is not supplemented somehow. Im not sure thought , what would happen when it gets high but if you don't dose strontium, it is very unlikely to get high. An ICP test would give you a more precise count on your Sr levels.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome44.png

Back