Problem with Fluval M series heater or is it something else ?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit I am obsessed with keeping original packages intact and when I return something, most of the time you can’t even tell it was open.

My basement is full of boxes, in case I move or have to return something. I’m kind of OCD, lol !
Not a bad idea! I only keep boxes that livestock was shipped in. Just in case I ever need to ship anything, I have plenty of styrofoam-lined boxes!

Quietstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this forum ... as I am currently having the same exact issue with the Fluval M series 300 watt heater. I had a question tho? I currently have a 29 gal tank & I know the heater stated it was meant for a 80 gal tank (was already planning to upgrade to a bigger tank when my last heater gave in on me & didn't want to purchase a smaller heater just to end up buying another one). Is it possible that having such a high wattage heater in a small tank could be the issue ?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this forum ... as I am currently having the same exact issue with the Fluval M series 300 watt heater. I had a question tho? I currently have a 29 gal tank & I know the heater stated it was meant for a 80 gal tank (was already planning to upgrade to a bigger tank when my last heater gave in on me & didn't want to purchase a smaller heater just to end up buying another one). Is it possible that having such a high wattage heater in a small tank could be the issue ?
I don’t know how these heaters work, really. I hated mine.

One thing is for sure though. A 300 watts heater in a 29 gallons tank is asking for trouble. If it malfunctions (most do at some point, especially without a controller like an Inkbird), it’s going to litterally cook your fish !

Don’t use it in this tank. Return it or keep it for when you have a bigger tank. Also, two smaller heaters for redundancy is better than a big one.

Quietstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One thing is for sure though. A 300 watts heater in a 29 gallons tank is asking for trouble. If it malfunctions (most do at some point, especially without a controller like an Inkbird), it’s going to litterally cook your fish !

Don’t use it in this tank. Return it or keep it for when you have a bigger tank. Also, two smaller heaters for redundancy is better than a big one.

Thank you very much for your response! Definitely returning it today.

dezzy.hamlet24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a heating problem in the tank and I’ve been trouble shooting it for 2-3 days now and finally decided it wasn’t the inkbird and that I needed to buy a new heater.

I wanted it today so I bought an overpriced Fluval M300 (300 watts) at 91$. I figured the 16$ extra was worth being able to sleep without worrying about the tank.

Well, let’s just say I hate this heater ! The knob to adjust temperature is very hard to dial when you’re standing across the tank. The light when it comes on is a pale blue/green, barely noticeable. And the light keeps shutting off after a few seconds. So I don’t know if the heater is working and it’s just the light doing weird stuff or if it’s not working. I know the inkbird is doing it’s job because I’ve thorougly tested it and the other heater, an Eheim jager, is staying on perfectly.

I’ve set the dial to 29-30C and the Inkbird is set to 25,3C so it should turn on and stay on.

Does anyone have one with the same problem ? I figure it’s not going to last long if it turns on and off 20-30 times when the inkbird turns it on.

I’ll call the store tomorrow and bring it back. I’m afraid that’s the last one they had so I hope they accept to give me my money back so I can get another somewhere else.

Oh, I just had a thought…. Can having 1x200 watts heater and 1x300 watts heater be causing problems with the Inkbird ? I hadn’t thought of that !
mine is doing the exact same as youve described and my tank is heating to 24 not 26.. just got it yesterday from petsmart. i do not have an inkbird. just heater layed horizontal half way into my tank…

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a heating problem in the tank and I’ve been trouble shooting it for 2-3 days now and finally decided it wasn’t the inkbird and that I needed to buy a new heater.

I wanted it today so I bought an overpriced Fluval M300 (300 watts) at 91$. I figured the 16$ extra was worth being able to sleep without worrying about the tank.

Well, let’s just say I hate this heater ! The knob to adjust temperature is very hard to dial when you’re standing across the tank. The light when it comes on is a pale blue/green, barely noticeable. And the light keeps shutting off after a few seconds. So I don’t know if the heater is working and it’s just the light doing weird stuff or if it’s not working. I know the inkbird is doing it’s job because I’ve thorougly tested it and the other heater, an Eheim jager, is staying on perfectly.

I’ve set the dial to 29-30C and the Inkbird is set to 25,3C so it should turn on and stay on.

Does anyone have one with the same problem ? I figure it’s not going to last long if it turns on and off 20-30 times when the inkbird turns it on.

I’ll call the store tomorrow and bring it back. I’m afraid that’s the last one they had so I hope they accept to give me my money back so I can get another somewhere else.

Oh, I just had a thought…. Can having 1x200 watts heater and 1x300 watts heater be causing problems with the Inkbird ? I hadn’t thought of that !
The inkbird should be doing the control. The heater's internal thermostat SHOULD NOT be doing ANY control.

Set the inkbird 2 degree above your desired temperature.

Turn the knob on the heater to the highest temperature.

Let the tank heat. When you see the inkbird reach 1 degree OVER the desired temperature, turn the knob on the heater slowly until it turns off.

Now set the inkbird to the actual desired temperature.

That will set the heater's internal thermostat as a failsafe 1 degree above the inkbirds shutoff point and allow the inkbord to control the heater.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inkbird should be doing the control. The heater's internal thermostat SHOULD NOT be doing ANY control.

Set the inkbird 2 degree above your desired temperature.

Turn the knob on the heater to the highest temperature.

Let the tank heat. When you see the inkbird reach 1 degree OVER the desired temperature, turn the knob on the heater slowly until it turns off.

Now set the inkbird to the actual desired temperature.

That will set the heater's internal thermostat as a failsafe 1 degree above the inkbirds shutoff point and allow the inkbord to control the heater.
Thanks. That was a while ago. I brought the heater back to the store and got my money back.

I’ve upgraded my tank since then and now use 1x200 watts and 1x300 watts on the Inkbird. It’s working fine, like it always did before I got this heater. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back