Problem with my torch coral

louivee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having an issue with my torch ! I’m semi new to this and I’ve been using water from my LFS. since they sell water which I’m assuming has all the proper nutrients In it . Yesterday I saw it was discharging a brown substance which I later identified as it just discharging waste . Not BSD .
It seems as if the flesh from the base is becoming less and less visible. Since I got it it it seems to have gotten smaller and lighter in color showing more of a green tint which to me was ok since it added color to the tank. I was told at my LFS that some corals tend to do so changing a different color under different lighting ok cool now hopefully I’m not bleaching it some how all my other corals in my tank are growing and thriving and leaves me to think maybe placement ? Idk tell me when u guys think below are 2 pictures of it earlier today fully expanded and how it is now it expands and closes over and over and I’m noticing the flesh problem
B8295555-45A0-4C1B-9332-23452F8EE903.jpeg
image.jpg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos in white light please
Yes they may change color as they adapt to the tank. Higher light will often cause them to expel the excess zooxanthellae. If the tissue is receding though this is a cause for concern.

how long have you had it?

OP
OP
louivee

louivee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it about a month now last week I was so happy because it was expanded nice and I believed it was doing very good it opens then closes so i believe it wants to live I’ll dim down the lights because that’s the only thing I can think of right now
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color still looks good so I would not go messing with the lights. Sometimes it's best to just let it adjust. If it was way too strong it wouldn't have lasted a month. Yes, looks like some tissue recession on the outside of the skeleton. So after a month and it's showing tissue recession, I would be looking at other factors such as parameters and nutrients.

Is it also mounted horizontal? They can be kind of at an angle but the skeleton should be mostly vertical with the top of the coral exposed to the light.

OP
OP
louivee

louivee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color still looks good so I would not go messing with the lights. Sometimes it's best to just let it adjust. If it was way too strong it wouldn't have lasted a month. Yes, looks like some tissue recession on the outside of the skeleton. So after a month and it's showing tissue recession, I would be looking at other factors such as parameters and nutrients.

Is it also mounted horizontal? They can be kind of at an angle but the skeleton should be mostly vertical with the top of the coral exposed to the light.
Is it ok if I put it in the sand ?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine sitting on the sand bed but the torches are tall enough they are at least a couple inches above. Looks like yours has a pretty decent base. I am not certain the horizontal orientation is an issue.. continually messing around with it though and changing location and light levels will be for sure. Flow will change too when you move it around. Would be helpful if you could post your water parameters and how often you feed and with what.

Any other photos of the tank? Other corals? Looks like some sort of trachyphyllia up and to the right that's tightly closed up? What about lights? What are you using and any idea what the intensity is on the corals?

OP
OP
louivee

louivee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine sitting on the sand bed but the torches are tall enough they are at least a couple inches above. Looks like yours has a pretty decent base. I am not certain the horizontal orientation is an issue.. continually messing around with it though and changing location and light levels will be for sure. Flow will change too when you move it around. Would be helpful if you could post your water parameters and how often you feed and with what.

Any other photos of the tank? Other corals? Looks like some sort of trachyphyllia up and to the right that's tightly closed up? What about lights? What are you using and any idea what the intensity is on the corals?
Water parameters are in check and that’s a montipora that’s doing wonderful along with a couple different zoa , mushrooms , toadstool leather , Kenya tree , GSP , Duncan coral that’s been growing fantastically so my corals are all fine it’s just this one is cracking on me

OP
OP
louivee

louivee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters are in check and that’s a montipora that’s doing wonderful along with a couple different zoa , mushrooms , toadstool leather , Kenya tree , GSP , Duncan coral that’s been growing fantastically so my corals are all fine it’s just this one is cracking on me
It’s in the sand bed I’ll upload more pictures when the lights come on tomorrow also I’m running a kessil 350we tuna that I also feel is cooking the corals a little too much so dimming the light just a tad and moving it to a better flow area that isn’t gonna change drastically

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s in the sand bed I’ll upload more pictures when the lights come on tomorrow also I’m running a kessil 350we tuna that I also feel is cooking the corals a little too much so dimming the light just a tad and moving it to a better flow area that isn’t gonna change drastically
Interested to see how this turns out. Goodluck

OP
OP
louivee

louivee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see how this turns out. Goodluck
Hopefully it works out for me I’ve always been into corals but it’s never worked for me since I used to be someone who didn’t listen but now I’ve taken it more serious and I’ve seen nothing but progress until now with this 1 coral

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and how high is the Kessil? Power setting? Could be too much par. Very hard to judge from looking at it visually with your eyes in the blue spectrum. I still am leaning towards something else though. Really hard to make guesses though unless you are able to give as much information as possible.

Great to hear the other corals are doing well but they don't all have the same requirements in a mixed reef so it can be a challenge to make them all happy together. Sometimes there is just that one coral that no matter what you do just doesn't settle in and make it long term.

OP
OP
louivee

louivee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and how high is the Kessil? Power setting? Could be too much par. Very hard to judge from looking at it visually with your eyes in the blue spectrum. I still am leaning towards something else though. Really hard to make guesses though unless you are able to give as much information as possible.

Great to hear the other corals are doing well but they don't all have the same requirements in a mixed reef so it can be a challenge to make them all happy together. Sometimes there is just that one coral that no matter what you do just doesn't settle in and make it long term.
It’s only a 14g aqeon and the kessil is on a goose neck Which gets me to believe it’s a bit harder to control nutrients and par I lowered the lighting a bit and moved it to the sand this is a little update 1 hour into lights turning on looking a bit better ?
093981EC-DB6D-460A-86FF-57A46E085F4F.png

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only a 14g aqeon and the kessil is on a goose neck Which gets me to believe it’s a bit harder to control nutrients and par I lowered the lighting a bit and moved it to the sand this is a little update 1 hour into lights turning on looking a bit better ?
093981EC-DB6D-460A-86FF-57A46E085F4F.png
Although I'm not experienced in keeping torches that looks a lot better than the last pic

OP
OP
louivee

louivee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I'm not experienced in keeping torches that looks a lot better than the last pic
orientation just like @Shirak stated I’m gonna keep a close eye on this but I wanna say the torch is enjoying the new flow ? And placement ? Also going to keep my eye on water quality overall Lol

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes looks better. Keep an eye on the tissue around the outside of the skeleton. Hopefully stops receding. Once it settles back in you might try target feeding it a little a couple times a week with some chopped mysis or some small pellets. Mine like to be fed. I don't have much fish to feed on a daily basis so I need to supplement for the corals.

My torches get quite a bit of flow. They can handle it pretty well IMO as long as it isn't from the same direction for prolonged periods. My tank has a lot of random flow all the time. I will see if I can get a short video later today.

OP
OP
louivee

louivee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes looks better. Keep an eye on the tissue around the outside of the skeleton. Hopefully stops receding. Once it settles back in you might try target feeding it a little a couple times a week with some chopped mysis or some small pellets. Mine like to be fed. I don't have much fish to feed on a daily basis so I need to supplement for the corals.

My torches get quite a bit of flow. They can handle it pretty well IMO as long as it isn't from the same direction for prolonged periods. My tank has a lot of random flow all the time. I will see if I can get a short video later today.
Stupid question but will the tissue eventually come back?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question but will the tissue eventually come back?
I haven't seen it regrow over the receded area on these types of corals. It will increase as the torch gets taller and the remaining tissue gets longer along with the torch getting taller. First step get it to stop losing tissue!

The water from your LFS is it premixed with salt? Do you know what salt they are using and salinity? How much water are you changing and how often? I am guessing you are not dosing anything for Alk and Ca?

OP
OP
louivee

louivee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen it regrow over the receded area on these types of corals. It will increase as the torch gets taller and the remaining tissue gets longer along with the torch getting taller. First step get it to stop losing tissue!

The water from your LFS is it premixed with salt? Do you know what salt they are using and salinity? How much water are you changing and how often? I am guessing you are not dosing anything for Alk and Ca?
Ok so I dosed and my corals one time and all closed up and didn’t like it at all after that I forced myself to do a 50 % water change with the water from LFS now I do not know what salt salinity is 1.025 (refractometer) checked myself on a normal bases since it’s such a small body of water I do about 5 gallons every week and top off with RO when needed … I checked in with my LFS and they told me no other neutrients were needed as long as I did water changes everything should go as planned and was told I didn’t have to but if I did it wouldn’t hurt WELL it did so I keep it simple

Back