Problems with my corals!

Jinavette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have recently been having problems with my corals closing and then just dying off. We received a consult which we paid, experts to come and check the tank. He gave us advice about 4 months ago on what to change and it has just gotten worse. The peramiters of the tank are as followed alkalinity: 9.4 salt: 35.1 ppt phosphate: 0.25 calcium: 489 magnesium: 1500 ph: 8.15 nitrate: 10
We have a skimmer, UV, and phosphate reactor running. We feed the corals once a week with Benepets Benereef. Daily Red Sea AB+. The tank is 135 including the sump. We have gonis, torches and zoas. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
Jinavette

Jinavette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum.

I’m not seeing anything wrong with your parameters. Maybe phosphates could be a tad bit higher for the LPS corals with an alk of 9dkh.

What lights do you have? Flow? Have you tested your tank for stray voltage?
Lights and pumps are both AI. Flow is at 50% and are positioned diagonally on opposite sides of the tank. We have not tested for stray voltage. Lighting is as followed:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jinavette

Jinavette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!
What precisely is your cleaning/maintenance schedule? Are there any tank inhabitants that can be of risk for your corals? Other possible problems could be coral warfare (especially leather corals releasing chemicals), lighting deficiency, inadequate flow, or possibly even a bacterial infection such as Brown Jelly Disease.
Maintenance is done once a week, all the inhabitants we have are all reef safe and as the corals we had them spaced out enough to where each type had their own rock. Flow is at 50% and lighting as followed:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jinavette

Jinavette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Your Alk, calcium and mag are all a little toward the high side for my liking but certainly should be okay. My guess would be either lighting or flow. Are you using RO/DI or otherwise purified water for your salt mix and top-off? Maybe heavy metals if not. How are your fish/inverts doing? Maybe a full tank shot would be helpful for people here to help you. Best of luck.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
We are using RODI water for both salt mix and top off the salt we are using is Red Sea salt the blue bucket. All the fish and inverts are fine and alive. It’s just the corals.

Upvote 0

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.
Many of us will be able to tell more from your situation if you have pictures. A good full tank shot (FTS) and maybe some of the problem corals. Not too close so we can see around them and maybe close up in case we see some pest. This helps a lot.

Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are using RODI water for both salt mix and top off the salt we are using is Red Sea salt the blue bucket. All the fish and inverts are fine and alive. It’s just the corals.
Are you dosing? Your ca, alk and mag numbers are higher than RSBB naturally provides. I use it also, now.

If not, I'm wondering if your refractometer/hydrometer might be out of calibration and running higher than the 35.1ppt you stated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jinavette

Jinavette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing? Your ca, alk and mag numbers are higher than RSBB naturally provides. I use it also, now.

If not, I'm wondering if your refractometer/hydrometer might be out of calibration and running higher than the 35.1ppt you stated.
We have not started dosing just yet only the Red Sea AB+ 20 ml daily and as far as the calibration we just calibrated it just in case it was off and it’s still the same.

Upvote 0

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have not started dosing just yet only the Red Sea AB+ 20 ml daily and as far as the calibration we just calibrated it just in case it was off and it’s still the same.
This might be part of the issue. How frequently do you change the water? The tank may be at the point where supplemental 2 part dosing is required to keep alk, Calc and magnesium stable as at some point water changes are not enough. Red sea ab+ is fine to add but won't provide skeletal material for your coral. If your dKh is dropping over the course of a few weeks or not stable, it may be the cause of your coral issues.

Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm officially confused. I have no idea how you're getting magnesium of 1500, calcium of 489 and alkalinity of 9.4 from straight Red Sea Blue Bucket. Every time I've checked a fresh batch of RSBB the mg is 1250-1300, the ca is 420-450 and the alk is 7.5-8.5. If you aren't dosing I am at a loss as to where the extra elements are coming from. The only way I can explain it is elevated S.G.

That said your numbers are fine just they don't match the salt mix parameters, at least that I've seen or what is printed on the front of the bucket.

At this point my only guess for your coral issues would be that maybe your light is a little high but that is hard to say without knowing your PAR readings or at least some idea of your tank dimensions, coral placement, etc.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm out of ideas.

Except one, for the goniopora check your manganese and try target feeding them either gonipower or reef roids at least two or three times a week.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mag a bit high (you want 1300-1350).
What test kits are you using ?
Age of tank ?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have recently been having problems with my corals closing and then just dying off. We received a consult which we paid, experts to come and check the tank. He gave us advice about 4 months ago on what to change and it has just gotten worse. The peramiters of the tank are as followed alkalinity: 9.4 salt: 35.1 ppt phosphate: 0.25 calcium: 489 magnesium: 1500 ph: 8.15 nitrate: 10
We have a skimmer, UV, and phosphate reactor running. We feed the corals once a week with Benepets Benereef. Daily Red Sea AB+. The tank is 135 including the sump. We have gonis, torches and zoas. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome! Glad you joined. You don't mention light or flow, and I'd assume your expert would have advised any changes there. You don't mention fish, and completely fishless systems tend to have problems.

I suspect parameters stability. You list parameters, but are those parameters kept stable DAILY? or instead do they fluctuate and are brought back into line WEEKLY (or longer)? We had a lot of problems until we started daily water parameter testing and dosing those values that drop. Its been a lot more work, but after a few weeks we really began seeing results when parameters are stable day-after-day-after-day-after-day, and continue to see results measured in coral growth.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back