Problems with some softies, please help

Discussion in 'Soft Coral Discussion' started by CurtnStac, Feb 7, 2018.

1. CurtnStac

CurtnStac Member

I have a few soft corals that don't look so good. Mainly it's my waving hand and pulsing xenias that look the worst. My nepthia tree isn't looking too good either. Toads look so so and just one of my patches of gsp lost its neon green color. Gsp in other places look ok. Zoas, clam, and euphylias all look great.
    Quick info on tank.... I upgraded during Christmas from a 33g long to this 80g shallow. Lights are the same, flow is about the same. Filtration is just some chemipure elite and floss. Did have a bunch of marine pure in but just took it out this past weekend because I read a post of it leaching aluminum. Livestock is the same from my 33g, 2x clownfish, firefish, blue chromis, springer damsel. No crabs or shrimp. Did add some copepods and have been dosing phyto. Also have been dosing Vibrant once a week for a little bubble algae. Tank parameters are in pic. All xenias were flourishing well in my 33g. I do really like these corals so any help is appreciated, thanks

20180207_144404.jpg

20180207_144419.jpg

20180207_144521.jpg

20180207_144530.jpg

SmartSelectImage_2018-02-07-16-14-47.png

Tags:

2. sfin52

sfin52 Valuable Member

Your numbers look good it could be aluminum. I would do a 20% water change. Leathers are very temperamental and should be fine. I’ve aleays had Xenia crap out in my tank tried 3 times and they disappear. Sorry can’t help with that. I would also run activated granular carbon.

3. reef lover

reef lover It's a reef thing.... R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

What lights?? Chances are if they were sufficient for a 33 they're probably not for the 80...

4. CurtnStac

CurtnStac Member

The lights are black box leds. The 33g long was 13" high and the lights were 14" above. The 80g is a shallow so it's only 16" high and the light still sits 14" above

5. reef lover

reef lover It's a reef thing.... R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Just one for the whole tank?

6. CurtnStac

CurtnStac Member

No 2 lights. 48" long tank.
    The only difference between the 33g and 80g is width. But the 80g is an all in one tank so 4" is back compartment filtration

7. reef lover

That seems sufficient...I would go back to checking parameters...

8. Cnidoblast

Cnidoblast Active Member

9. CurtnStac

CurtnStac Member

10. Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit Active Member

Did you check ammonia? If that marine pure was a size able chunk of your bio filtration its possible you might have had an ammonia spike

11. Cnidoblast

Cnidoblast Active Member

I had a big ammonia spike and my softies were fine with it - any fish he has would start to act super excited (than die) as ammonia hits glutamate pathway in brain

12. CurtnStac

CurtnStac Member

I just removed it Sunday, have yet to check but the problems with the soft corals have been ongoing for awhile. The soft corals looking crappy is what lead me to removing the marine pure, possible aluminum leach???

Justfebreezeit likes this.
  13. Cnidoblast

Cnidoblast Active Member

Your gonna need to send water off for ICP testing to find out your total Al3+ level to be honest

I would wait for randy's input tho as I am only a self educated chemist and do not have a PHD

also might want to stop dosing vibrance because nobody knows what's in that stuff

Justfebreezeit likes this.
  14. CurtnStac

CurtnStac Member

I only have 5 nano fish in this 80g with alot of live rock so I doubt/think/hope (lol) the marine pure removal will make a difference. I'll definitely check ammonia tomorrow morning to be sure.

15. Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit Active Member

Yeah your bio load is pretty low anyways. Just curious.

Leathers have been shown to be sensitive to aluminum by Randy. I'm not sure about the other corals though.
    An ICP test might help for sure.

16. CurtnStac

CurtnStac Member

I think I might try the testing. It would be pretty interesting to see all parameters of my tank done by pros. Any clue how long it takes to get back to you?

Draft saved Draft deleted