ProfiLux 4 – What will I need?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m probably still a few months away from buying but I thought it might be a good idea to figure out what I’m going to need now. Just in case GHL runs a good sale or my state decides to start charging internet sales tax. Don’t want to have to pay an extra $150+ if I don’t have to.

The DT will be on the ground floor and the sump, refugium and frag tank will be in the basement.

DT (Expansion Box, Powerbar) – Need to control 2 Kessil A360s, a Flow Sensor, 2 Leak Sensors and a Touch.

Basement (P4, Powerbar) - Need to control a Kessil H380 (I know I can only turn it on and off), frag tank light, Reeflow pump, 2 or 3 Leak Sensors, 2 or 3 Flow Sensors, heaters, a Level Sensor and Probes.

My list so far.
ProfiLux 4 Ultimate Set, Expansion Box 2, Leak Interface, 4 or 5 Leak Sensors, 3 or 4 Flow Sensors, extra Powerbar, a very long Leak Sensor cable, a Level Sensor and a few PL-LY Splitter cables.

A few questions.

What kind of cable does the Leak Sensor use?

Can I use the PL-LY Splitter cable on Flow Sensors?

How many Level Sensors and Flow Sensors can I run on each Level Sensor port?

What else to you guys think I will need?

Wheres the BEST place to buy GHL products?

Thanks

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure some others will help out with your list. You may be able to get everything you want without the expansion box? I'm just not sure about the flow sensors cable lengths and how many the p4 can read?

Can I ask why so many flow meters? What size plumbing do you plan on using? I haven't bought any flow sensors yet because of the reduced size they require. I wish they would make them 1" and 1.5".

I order everything GHL directly from GHL, or from premium aquatics. Welcome to the club! Well, almost!

OP
OP
E

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't be in the club until its up and running. ;)

They do make a 1" ID Flow sensor. I wish they made 1.5" or 2".

I'll be running 1.5" returns into a manifold that will run 1" lines to each tank. I'll probably drop that down to 1/2" loc-line.

I'll be using the Flow sensors on my DT, Refugium and Frag tank, not sure about the 4th one yet. The P4 can only read 4 Flow sensors hopefully GHL changes that in the future.

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EdsReefOdyssey

What kind of cable does the Leak Sensor use?
It is a Mini adapter. What I did was I placed a leak detector interface at my sump ran the cable (I think VTN 5 cable is the type up to my P4)

Can I use the PL-LY Splitter cable on Flow Sensors?
You can use a splitter cable to have up to maximum of four flow sensors.

How many Level Sensors and Flow Sensors can I run on each Level Sensor port?
This one we need to ask GHL, because I believe it is 2 level sensors or two flow sensors or 1 level sensor 1 flow per port. I believe it is 4 flow sensors and a 16 sensors :)

What else to you guys think I will need?
PLM 4 level expansion card :)

Wheres the BEST place to buy GHL products?
The GHL USA store I believe is the best spot :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco@GHLUSA is @Ditto right about the number of Level sensors and Flow sensors you can run on each Level sensor port?

I’m a little confused by all the different cables?? :confused:

BNC extension cable are for the probes?

VTN extension cables are for the Level and Flow sensors?

Which cable does the Leakage Interface use to connect to the P4, looks like a VTN?

Leak sensors look like they use a head phone cable?

Whats the difference between the PAB and VSL cables?

Has anyone bought any GHL products from @AquariumSpecialty?

Thanks

TilmanBaumann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leak sensors use the same port as the level sensors.
Flow sensors also use that port.
Leak sensors work together with a leak sensor box. It has the level sensor port on one side and allows you to daisy chain a number of leak sensors via headphone jacks.

With a y-splitter you get two level sensors per port.
For additional ports you can use expansion cards. Three cards in the profilux itself and four per expansion box.

PAB is the digital expansion cable. Used between profilux and dosers and expansion boxes.
Regular ethernet cable, buy that locally for cheaper.

TilmanBaumann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind, GHL sensor cables are very long out of the box.

For the level sensors, you can use regular PS/2 mouse and keyboard expansion cables. As long as they are contacted through on all pins. (If it says keyboard or mouse specifically it's likely not fully contacted. If it is mouse OR keyboard then it is.)

Yes BNC is for the sensors. You may need to recalibrate the sensor if you extend the cable.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running Mitras Simulation sticks this is the extension cable you would use from the P4 to the Mitras Simulation Driver which in turn the simulation driver plugs into the Mitras simulation bars. The VSL extension cable would plug into one of the yellow ports L1,L2 or the L3,L4 or the L5,L6 port.

Hope this answers what your asking for :)

OP
OP
E

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can use the VSL cables as extension cables for anything that uses the yellow 1-10 volt ports?

Do the powerbars connect to the PAB or the red ports on the back of the p4?

Thanks

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really try to not say that they are "ethernet // network cables" - have had one too many people try to hook them up to their network... ;Eggonface

Is straight par twinned cables with ordinary RJ 45 connectors safe to use in order to describe the PAB cables :)

And to hook them up to the network - has been there because my son put the wrong cable in the wrong outlet. I can say I had a hard time trying to solve problems I nether have seen in a ethernet network before. I was on my way to buy a new router when I asked my son when the problems start - just after I put this connector to that outlet he said. He has heard proper Swedish before (its my son) but this time it was something extra :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
E

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is straight par twinned cables with ordinary RJ 45 connectors safe to use in order to describe the PAB cables :)

And to hook them up to the network - has been there because my son put the wrong cable in the wrong outlet. I can say I had a hard time trying to solve problems I nether have seen in a ethernet network before. I was on my way to buy a new router when I asked my son when the problems start - just after I put this connector to that outlet he said. He has heard proper Swedish before (its my son) but this time it was something extra :)

Sincerely Lasse
My Grandfather was from Norway. I remember hearing some Proper Norwegian when I was a kid. ;)

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure some others will help out with your list. You may be able to get everything you want without the expansion box? I'm just not sure about the flow sensors cable lengths and how many the p4 can read?

The more I think about it the more I like this idea of not using an Expansion Box. I should be able to do everything I want with a few really long extension cables.

Does the Touch need to connect to the P4 or can I connect it to a Powerbar?

If I have 2 Powerbars does the 2nd Powerbar have to connect to the P4 or the 1st Powerbar?

Thanks

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I think about it the more I like this idea of not using an Expansion Box. I should be able to do everything I want with a few really long extension cables.

Does the Touch need to connect to the P4 or can I connect it to a Powerbar?

If I have 2 Powerbars does the 2nd Powerbar have to connect to the P4 or the 1st Powerbar?

Thanks

Touch display can be connected to any open PAB port. You can plug it off of the P4, powerbar, dosing pump, etc.

Powerbars need to be connected off of a P4, expansion box, or existing powerbar.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back