Project Evo 13.5 - 1 Year In

jharrower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I've used this forum a lot over the past 12 months and it's been really handy. Wanted to share what I've learnt a year on and get some more tips from you all. I've got the following:

Equipment
  • Fluval EVO 52l tank
  • Upgraded pump: Sicce Syncra 0.5
  • Fluval CP1 Circulation Pump/Powerhead
  • Fluval PS2 Mini Protein Skimmer
  • Fluval M50 Submersible Heater (never on, water warm enough)

Chamber Setup
  • Chamber 1: Fluval PS2 Mini Protein Skimmer
  • Chamber 2: InTank Fluval Flex 57L Media Basket
  • Chamber 3: Sicce Syncra 0.5 Pump

Media Basket Filtration
  • Top box: Empty
  • Second box: Seachem PhosGuard; Seachem Purigen and Seachem Matrix Carbon
  • Third box: Fibre/Poly Fill (sort of stuff used to stuff toys) on top of Compact Coarse Juwel Filter Sponge
  • Bag of Seachem Matrix Bio Media beneath the Media Basket

Livestock
  • Clownfish x 2
  • Orchid/Purple Dottyback x 1
  • Nitrus/Nassarius vibex snails x 2
  • Banded Trochus/Trochus histrio snails x 4

Corals/Design
  • Live rock x 4 pieces
  • Zoa's x 2 (on the rock)
  • Trumpet coral x 1
  • Green Star Polyp x 4
  • Orange mushroom coral x 1 (don't know the actual name!)

Things I've Learnt
  • I used to have a yellow goby as well but during a 3 day blackout he suddenly disappeared. Theory is that he was killed by the dottyback, but he went missing completely, was a bit odd
  • The dottyback is quite aggressive and is very teritorial
  • I bought 5 sexy shrimp and 3 were eaten almost immediately by the dottyback, the other 2 fell into the filtering system
  • The skimmer was very loud at first for a long time but can't hear it now
  • I've gone through periods of having an ugly tank. It's settled down now, just got over an outbreak of green algae which has settled down
  • I don't water change as often as I should. I don't have the equipment to make my own saltwater here so I have it delivered

You guys got any thoughts, tips, ideas on what might be the next step in this tank adventure?!

IMG_6362.jpg
IMG_6355.jpg
IMG_6356.jpg
IMG_6357.jpg
IMG_6358.jpg
IMG_6359.jpg
IMG_6360.jpg
IMG_6361.jpg
IMG_6363.jpg

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next steps I would do personally is get some more CUC to help you battle that algae, get like another 10 or so snails.

Also save up and buy an RODI system. Its worth it, trust me. One of the best investments you will make for your tank. Being able to make your own water and mix your own water is invaluable. Right now if an emergency happened, say you spill a bottle of vinegar or something into the tank, you are basically screwed as you have no way to do an emergency water change. You are probably going to say you are super careful and that will never happen, but there are thousands of reefers on here that have said the same thing :p

Also if you don't have an Auto Top Off system, I would get one of those as well. Helps keep the salinity stable and you don't have to top off by hand.

I also wouldn't add anymore fish, for a tank that small 3 is really pushing it.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps! Good luck with your tank bud!

LiquidSpace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it going? I have two clowns in mine and a Orchid Dottyback in QT. Hoping it goes well!

Back