Propagated vs. Wild Caught

  • Thread starter Thread starter tzsetzse
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tzsetzse

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 4, 2013
Messages
59
Reaction score
14
Location
Keyser WV
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading through some of Calfo's thoughts on animal husbandry and had this epiphany, lol

On the surface, I would surmise that any and all propagated coral species, (those that are, of course) would inherently be more hardy and resistant to disease than wild caught. Why I came to this conclusion is probably obvious to many of you. I however, am not a hard-core hobbyist nor a research-research-research addict. I have been in the hobby since the early 90's and traditionally only maintained wild caught specimens. This naturally, was due to the fact that propagating was in it's infancy and SPS corals were just emerging for the advanced hobbyist. All the LFS had were trans-shipped from overseas or collected in the Caribbean.

So I ask you, am I accurate in my surmise? Or as I suspect, am I oversimplifying?
 
I've thought this myself, as I am currently in schooling for aquaculture and coral reef conservation. If we look at other animals whom are bred through human interaction or culturing of.you will eventually a different set of problems.arise seeing as the surroundings and environment of the coral species will change so must its parasites, bacteria, etc. to a certain extent - so although they will be more.viable and healthy as comparison to there marine cousins for all intensive purposes a chance of a different set of inherent issues could lie waiting as well. This is why we need more research and more.funding to organizations testing long term.problems And goals in an aquaculture environment! sorry for bad grammer in class and on phone, not a good combination
 
as far as corals go I would say yes, my corals that I propagate are much brighter and stronger than wild caught, fruitloops are a good example if I put them side by side the captive bred are twice as bright orange and larger...I think in part to the intense lights we use, also the lack of preditors in our tanks...just my .02
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new