Proper skimmer pump cleaning and inspection

@twilliard,
Love the way you use the finger nail clipper as the scraper. Looks like the perfect shape for scraping the shaft.
I used to use razor blades to scrape the shaft but now I just use them to find the wear spots after a few cuts LOL That curve really does help out.
 
I know it's time to clean my skimmer's pump face when the power draw drops from 23W steady
upload_2016-12-30_10-58-46.png


And after cleaning (should have cleaned it a couple weeks ago, but Christmas)
upload_2016-12-30_10-56-38.png
 
I know it's time to clean my skimmer's pump face when the power draw drops from 23W steady
upload_2016-12-30_10-58-46.png


And after cleaning (should have cleaned it a couple weeks ago, but Christmas)
upload_2016-12-30_10-56-38.png
Cool way to monitor it!
I treat my pumps just as good as my inhabitants :) or pumps too can cost money
 
I know it's time to clean my skimmer's pump face when the power draw drops from 23W steady
upload_2016-12-30_10-58-46.png


And after cleaning (should have cleaned it a couple weeks ago, but Christmas)
upload_2016-12-30_10-56-38.png
That's awesome!
 
There are a number of pumps sold that the ceramic shaft does not come out of the magnet assembly. The shaft spins in special bushings at each end.

That is the way I think mine is. Because the rubber bushings on each end fit snug on the shaft, but it could easily spin in the bushings.

I'm glad you confirmed this because I would've broken my impeller trying to pull the shaft out. And we all know how manufacturers like to overcharge for little replacement parts.
 
That is the way I think mine is. Because the rubber bushings on each end fit snug on the shaft, but it could easily spin in the bushings.

I'm glad you confirmed this because I would've broken my impeller trying to pull the shaft out. And we all know how manufacturers like to overcharge for little replacement parts.
+1
I cleaned my return pump Friday night. It's a Sicce that's made for Red Sea. The impeller is one piece. It has metal rings that slide into the end bushings.
If you have a Aquamaxx with a Shark pump. Sicce makes the Shark and is probably a one piece impellar.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new