Proper skimmer pump cleaning and inspection

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and gals!

It's time to add another section to my skimmer mechanics. We all have faced problems at some point with our skimmers. Sometimes we tend to overlook the reasons as to why. Skimmers are basic functions of mechanics and fluid dynamics.

I covered the first area of inspection here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/skimmer-problems-here-is-the-first-area-to-inspect.280457/

Now I will get more into detail of the second part of inspection. The heart of the skimmer.

For this I am explaining one of the most commonly used styles of pumps. The needle wheel. This is a standard 110v mag pump as even the DC pumps still utilize the same concepts of mechanics.

First the pump:

1 pump.jpg

Just the basic venturi needle wheel pump. This particular skimmer uses this pump externally which is important because heat will play a role in cleaning frequency.

2 pump.jpg

Here is the magnet assembly removed. Make sure no pieces get misplaced.

3 pump.jpg

Now we will be looking at magnet cooling. Yup pumps use hydraulic pressures from the rotor to move water. The screwdriver is pointing to the grove that follows the length of the rotor. Make sure this gets cleaned out. If this groove get full of skimmer garbage the magnet assembly will overheat and split. This groove is KEY to keep cleaned out. Even after soaking a pump, garbage will still be left in this.

4 pump.jpg

Inspect the rotor assembly for cracks and abnormal wear. As solid deposits build up in the housing it will wear against the magnet and can cause an unbalanced rotor if too much wear has been done. This makes for a noisy pump! You can see here on this magnet that there is slight wear at the bottom.

6 pump.jpg

Next we have the ceramic shaft. When the rotor gets hot calcium buildup occurs on the shaft which drastically slows the assembly down. Here you can see me cleaning (scraping) the shaft off.

10 pump.jpg

Now take the shaft and slide it in and out of the magnet several times as buildup can even occur within the wall of the magnet. Make sure it slides and spins freely.

7 pump.jpg

Now where one of the problems that happens with these pumps is installing the pump intake. The rubber shaft mount has a tendency roll out of place causing the shaft to not be centered. I have found it to be simple by putting the rubber mount on the shaft first and not the intake cover.

8 pump.jpg

Now you're ready to rock and roll again!

9 pump.jpg

If the shaft is in the correct position with the rubber mount it will run like a champ once again :)

Thank you R2R!

-Todd

Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great info once again! Thanks for sharing!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aquamaxx skimmer doesn't even have a ceramic shaft that comes out. Where does that even go? I have the Cone-S Q2 skimmer

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a mag pump and should have a removable face by looking at the pump pictures.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aquamaxx skimmer doesn't even have a ceramic shaft that comes out. Where does that even go? I have the Cone-S Q2 skimmer
Do you see the shaft on his picture #6 and impeller below in the same shot.
Look at picture #7, he's holding up the impeller with all the parts back in there place.
The shaft goes through the center hole of the plastic / magnet impeller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see the shaft on his picture #6 and impeller below in the same shot.
Look at picture #7 he's holding it up all put back together in one moving piece.
The shaft goes through the center hole of the plastic / magnet impeller.
Thank you it has been a busy day!
Yes most all pumps have a shaft. It is key to make sure the magnet spins freely. I have had the magnet seize on the shaft before destroying the end mounts.
*Most all failures are due to excessive heat*

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that said I've
Yes most all pumps have a shaft. It is key to make sure the magnet spins freely. I have had the magnet seize on the shaft before destroying the end mounts.
I've had precipitation build up before from my own fault in dosing incorrectly and if you didn't know better you'd think it was all one piece.
Had to soak the entire impeller assembly in vinegar to free the shaft from the impeller.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that said I've

I've had precipitation build up before from my own fault in dosing incorrectly and if you didn't know better you'd think it was all one piece.
Had to soak the entire impeller assembly in vinegar to free the shaft from the impeller.
Yup I had a skimmer pump do that exact same thing. What a hassle! I ended up breaking the shaft trying to free it.
This is also true with powerheads. Clean up the rotating assembly and you will see increased water flow.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
If the shaft is spinning as one part to the impeller it's bad news (Damage) and the skimmer wont be running at peak performance.

Thanks for taking the time to write this article, it was a good refresher for myself:)

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that said I've

That's what I thought mine was, one piece. Because I've completely broken it down many times and the impeller doesn't seem like it comes apart. It has bushings that go on both ends of that shaft, but I don't think my shaft comes out (only if she wants it to ). Unless someone with an Aquamaxx Q-series skimmer can confirm that. It's their newest line of skimmer and I've never seen a replacement part for that on this model skimmer. I could very well be wrong, but do they make 1-piece impellers? It's a Sicce Shark 2.0 "modified" pump.

I just actually did my monthly breakdown cleaning so I'm not pulling it out again (just can't help myself).

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought mine was, one piece. Because I've completely broken it down many times and the impeller doesn't seem like it comes apart. It has bushings that go on both ends of that shaft, but I don't think my shaft comes out (only if she wants it to ). Unless someone with an Aquamaxx Q-series skimmer can confirm that. It's their newest line of skimmer and I've never seen a replacement part for that on this model skimmer. I could very well be wrong, but do they make 1-piece impellers? It's a Sicce Shark 2.0 "modified" pump.

I just actually did my monthly breakdown cleaning so I'm not pulling it out again (just can't help myself).
Just from my past experience: The the bushings hold the shaft in place so the shaft does not spin. The impeller spins around the fixed shaft. If your shaft is spinning with the impeller it's not good. The ends of the shaft should not be spinning inside the bushings.
JMO... There could be new impeller design I have have not seen yet. I ran a Aquamaxx HOB-1 for two years. Great skimmer. At the time it came with a Shark pump which was really a Sicce for Aquamaxx.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from my past experience: The the bushings hold the shaft in place so the shaft does not spin. The impeller spins around the fixed shaft. If your shaft is spinning with the impeller it's not good. The ends of the shaft should not be spinning inside the bushings.
JMO... There could be new impeller design I have have not seen yet. I ran a Aquamaxx HOB-1 for two years. Great skimmer. At the time it came with a Shark pump which was really a Sicce for Aquamaxx.
There are a number of pumps sold that the ceramic shaft does not come out of the magnet assembly. The shaft spins in special bushings at each end.

JP79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give the pin and wheel a cleaning every couple months. But I clean the sump in a vinegar bath twice a year. Nice write up. Good maintenance and clean equipment is key here kids.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more I can go into like balancing the rotor assembly (huge benefits) but that would have made it too lengthy

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I soak a skimmer for coralline removal I soak in 1 gallon vinegar to 3 gallons of water and run for several hours.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard,
Love the way you use the finger nail clipper as the scraper. Looks like the perfect shape for scraping the shaft.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back