Pros & Cons? Midas Blenny vs Jawfish.

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fish people. I am considering either a Midas Blenny (African) or a Jawfish (Yellow head or Blue spot). 35 gallon cube reef, only swimming mates are 3 clowns and a cleaner shrimp. Just wanting some input on which you would go with and why. Thanks!

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have difficulties with jawfish, but of course many also do not...

I love my Midas blenny, full of character and all the ones I’ve had have been very peaceful. I’ve noticed that the African ones tend to be a bit darker than the others, so if you want bright yellow you may want one of the otherwise located.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both fish in my opinion are awesome but when it comes down to personality the jawfish always wins. I have a tank set up in my office and everyone's favorite fish in the tank is the jawfish because of how he moves in the tank, how he comes out more if you get close to the tank, and people love seeing him actually interact in the tank by moving sand and making a burrow. I originally got him just to have more movement in the bottom of the tank.

A midas blenny looks awesome but it will be just another fish that is just swimming around. It has a unique body shape compared to most other fish and has a beautiful yellow color.

In my opinion I would get a jawfish for the movement at the bottom of the tank and seeing him swim out of his burrow in the morning when you walk by him. It's an awesome fish.

OP
OP
Coral Winslow

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. This is why it’s such a hard dilemma, they both seem awesome and peaceful. I love the way the Midas swims like an eel and I love the way the jaw fish burrow and prairie dog. In your experience were there any difficulties with the jawfish?

OP
OP
Coral Winslow

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have difficulties with jawfish, but of course many also do not...

I love my Midas blenny, full of character and all the ones I’ve had have been very peaceful. I’ve noticed that the African ones tend to be a bit darker than the others, so if you want bright yellow you may want one of the otherwise located.
What difficulties are you referring to? Thanks for the reply.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. This is why it’s such a hard dilemma, they both seem awesome and peaceful. I love the way the Midas swims like an eel and I love the way the jaw fish burrow and prairie dog. In your experience were there any difficulties with the jawfish?
I personally have never had too many issues with jawfish and I own a fish store and I almost always have them on hand.

I think the largest issue people have is getting a new jawfish food. Since they're shy for a couple of weeks they won't stray far from their burrow for food and if there are other hungry fish In the tank food might not reach him. I notice my guy only comes out a few inches for food so I make sure a few pellets get down to him.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What difficulties are you referring to? Thanks for the reply.

Jawfish disease, getting to eat, and they’re jumpers. They’re not the cheapest fish.. but they can make great tank mates too! Just like all fish, it really depends on the individual.. some fish of the same species do great while others do not. Could potentially make a great addition to your tank, but be aware some people report problems with them.

Midas on the other hand is a tank. Can’t kill the things if you wanted to ha

OP
OP
Coral Winslow

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawfish :1
Midas : 1
This is exactly what I’m expecting so far. So far seems like jawfish maybe harder to keep but maybe more interesting. Hopefully more weigh in. Thanks again guys. Also, anyone who’s leaning Jawfish, blue spotted or yellow headed?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawfish are also a deeper/colder water species fish that do not adapt well to higher reef temperatures. They don't survive long for most people sadly

Midas blenny is a nice non-difficult fish, the 'sideways swimming' thing is entertaining

And +1000000 likes for your username :D

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are full of life and character and both have very different price tags (at least in my area).

Midas blennies are much more hardier than the jawfish.

however, the blue spot jawfish has an amazing color pop.

they way I would approach this is as follows:

1. Do I meet the requirements to keep this fish (food, stable rocks for hiding places, lid, etc)

2. Will it get along with my tank
mates/corals?

3. What’s the success rate?

4. What’s the price?

5. What experience level is required?

6. Do I need it?

I love this Midas blenny but I cast my vote for the Blue Spot Jawfish

Luvmyfish72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also anyone with a jawfish and coral on the sand bed, have you seen any issues there?
I have a jawfish with a crushed coral bed. No issues at all. He is by far my favorite fish. I thought I lost him a few weeks ago as he jumped out of my tank when I accidentally left the lid open and he had quite a long drop. But he pulled through!

OP
OP
Coral Winslow

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jawfish with a crushed coral bed. No issues at all. He is by far my favorite fish. I thought I lost him a few weeks ago as he jumped out of my tank when I accidentally left the lid open and he had quite a long drop. But he pulled through!
Glad he pulled through. I was curious more about live sand dwelling corals like scolymia, blastos, plates etc seeing if they tended to leave them alone or if they caused trouble for the coral.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why-not-both-animated-gif-7.gif

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawfish are always better as a first fish added, while Midas can add without as much issue after other fish in. Also need to have a plan for where your Jawfish will live, so they have the right substrate depth, and gravel sizing to help them make a burrow. If u can provide the right conditions though, nothing more fun than a Jawfish in my opinion. Need to keep water around 70 or low 70’s most likely for any success with a blue spot Jawfish. Would not recommend u start with that Jawfish. I had one last 5 years, my current has been with me for 2 yrs, but have lost a few in between. Really need to run your tank around the BSJ if want to be successful. Here are a few of my current Jawfish friends.

Attachments

• 79527617-C11A-4ADB-9460-B6567E1FB167.jpeg
    79527617-C11A-4ADB-9460-B6567E1FB167.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 49
  • F5B36F78-2FEE-4972-9E09-3C9D33A391FD.jpeg
    F5B36F78-2FEE-4972-9E09-3C9D33A391FD.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 50
  • FE8B5719-EB50-4257-A253-44F33DFDDD2C.jpeg
    FE8B5719-EB50-4257-A253-44F33DFDDD2C.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 52

cmmatxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bsj are JUMPERS i hear mine almost every other night making slashing noises so a lid is a must. also mine is always moving sand around and making my water “cloudy” but he’s definitely worth it

Attachments

• F3367BFA-7871-497B-90F6-09E12D130A84.jpeg
    F3367BFA-7871-497B-90F6-09E12D130A84.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Coral Winslow

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawfish are always better as a first fish added, while Midas can add without as much issue after other fish in. Also need to have a plan for where your Jawfish will live, so they have the right substrate depth, and gravel sizing to help them make a burrow. If u can provide the right conditions though, nothing more fun than a Jawfish in my opinion. Need to keep water around 70 or low 70’s most likely for any success with a blue spot Jawfish. Would not recommend u start with that Jawfish. I had one last 5 years, my current has been with me for 2 yrs, but have lost a few in between. Really need to run your tank around the BSJ if want to be successful. Here are a few of my current Jawfish friends.
Very awesome details. I run my system at 76 so you may have saved me lots of money for that I thank you. Nice pictures too!

OP
OP
Coral Winslow

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bsj are JUMPERS i hear mine almost every other night making slashing noises so a lid is a must. also mine is always moving sand around and making my water “cloudy” but he’s definitely worth it
Such a good lookin fish

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back