Protein skimmer help

masternater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jus built a modified sump tank. I have my 120 gallon tank upstairs and I made a 50 gallon sump and I have that downstairs. I have my skimmer and sterilizer and phosphate reactor all downstairs my new sump is 30” long and 30” high and my skimmer sits about 14” off the bottom and hasn’t been collecting so much lately. Should it be lower in my sump? Also. Can I buy a bigger pump for my skimmer and drop it down and pump it up the 14” to my skimmer

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! What kind of skimmer do you have and how far it is the bottom of the skimmer from the water line in the sump?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jus built a modified sump tank. I have my 120 gallon tank upstairs and I made a 50 gallon sump and I have that downstairs. I have my skimmer and sterilizer and phosphate reactor all downstairs my new sump is 30” long and 30” high and my skimmer sits about 14” off the bottom and hasn’t been collecting so much lately. Should it be lower in my sump? Also. Can I buy a bigger pump for my skimmer and drop it down and pump it up the 14” to my skimmer
Welcome masternater,
Each skimmer has a preferred depth of water it sits in, should be in a manual.
What kind of skimmer.
I like,the setup.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, you are certainly going in big! Skimmers are very touchy and need to be kept in the perfect stable water depth. Manufacturer recommendations will usually get you close but it really depends on your setup and some companies make bad recommendations. For a new setup however there can be a long break in period before you really start to see any production.

prdubois

Check out my 225gal: https://www.reef2reef.com/th
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the size skimmer that runs in 14" of water. Most run in 6" to 9"
1619286093101.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back