Proximity of different corals

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always attempt to take coral size and stinging into mind when placing corals. Make sure to avoid warfare if possible esp with lps.

I see so many tanks where corals grow and butt up into each other. Candy canes, euphyllia, etc and everything seems to be fine.

Is it luck of the draw here? Do they only attack each other if ticked off or if they're an aggressive strain? I know certain corals like galaxia and lobos will almost always attack but unsure about others.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder the same thing still hahah

I see tanks packed full of corals of different species all getting along.

Then in my tank I can't have anything within 3" of another species.

Some corals definitely need more room like pectinas and torches that can get really long sweepers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder the same thing still hahah

I see tanks packed full of corals of different species all getting along.

Then in my tank I can't have anything within 3" of another species.

Some corals definitely need more room like pectinas amd torches that can get really long sweepers.
Seriously so many photos on tanks filled to the brim with corals, and I'm over here trying to account for future growth and stinging tentacles lol.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i believe everyone experiences some degree of die off, where corals end up touching and stinging each other but eventually find an equilibrium in regards to growing around each other or even dead tissue. someone this ends up overpowering the “losing” coral but nevertheless, they end up being okay.

personally i’ve placed some SPS relatively near each other…but i plan on somewhat conditioning corals to grow a certain direction hoping to avoid any from touching each other except at the base.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get die off from those that fight.. I have big nems touching chalices and psammys and so far for 6 months they're fine but last week The bta stung the balls out of the psammy..

It's a trial by fire and just watching the tank and making slight adjustments based on temperament.. at least it's how I do it.

My tank isnt packed but it's growing in pretty well where different things interact.l Aso keep in mind perspective, not everything you see is as close as it looks where you put the corals by height and depth can make it look more full and touchy than it really is.

20220128_135119_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get die off from those that fight.. I have big nems touching chalices and psammys and so far for 6 months they're fine but last week The bta stung the balls out of the psammy..

It's a trial by fire and just watching the tank and making slight adjustments based on temperament.. at least it's how I do it.

My tank isnt packed but it's growing in pretty well where different things interact.l Aso keep in mind perspective, not everything you see is as close as it looks where you put the corals by height and depth can make it look more full and touchy than it really is.

20220128_135119_HDR.jpg
whats that wrasse , it looks crazy

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a monster queen coris.. aka formosa last measured around 9" this guy is always in beast mode hunting.

20211024_155612_HDR.jpg

Wagtribe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220128_135119_HDR.jpg
how do you keep the trigger from eating your corals?

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't. He has taken a bite or two out of anything that doesn't sway around, after that he knows what is what.

Every now and then a chalice might have a broken spot but in a couple years that's all it has been he really is a great fish.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back