Pseudanthias tuka

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Mine are eagerly eating frozen calanus so I'm hopeful they'll transition. Definitely not guaranteed though.
Nice, you’re already off to a better start then I was. Probably a hit or miss scenario.

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck but I prefer nobody buy them which would give wholesalers no reason to keep them available

I get that. It’s how they are caught mostly. Because they are essentially bait fish in very shallow water in the their natives ranges, they are super easy to catch for fisherman. They tend to use hand cast nets from the boat, then they spend hours in the baking sun in an open boat before making it to any holding facility. Then days without food. It’s also important to prophylactically treat any anthias for internal parasites.
Luzonichthys waitei is, I think an anthias best left in the sea. I’ve always found them super fragile.

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, you’re already off to a better start then I was. Probably a hit or miss scenario.

Yeah definitely hit or miss. When I try difficult fish, I like to start with specimens that are showing some type of feeding response to frozen food. Maybe not eating mysis and pellets, but some type of food needs to get them riled up. I passed on a banded pipefish today because no food got it interested. Luckily the few LFS I frequent are normally willing to try any foods I want.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely hit or miss. When I try difficult fish, I like to start with specimens that are showing some type of feeding response to frozen food. Maybe not eating mysis and pellets, but some type of food needs to get them riled up. I passed on a banded pipefish today because no food got it interested. Luckily the few LFS I frequent are normally willing to try any foods I want.
I live in a place where I basically have ordered everything online so I don’t have that option. But sometimes imo fish can get hooked on live foods. I have a orange spot, cbb, leopard wrasse, multi bar angel, regal, cleaner wrasse, red saddled anthias, Achilles, that are all in the difficult- expert lvl and I never hatched brine shrimp for them lol. I have used black worms though. Most I got eating frozen after a few days, orange spot, multi bar, and cbb toughest probably.

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a place where I basically have ordered everything online so I don’t have that option. But sometimes imo fish can get hooked on live foods. I have a orange spot, cbb, leopard wrasse, multi bar angel, regal, cleaner wrasse, red saddled anthias, Achilles, that are all in the difficult- expert lvl and I never hatched brine shrimp for them lol. I have used black worms though. Most I got eating frozen after a few days, orange spot, multi bar, and cbb toughest probably.

That's quite the fish list, guess I'm headed over to your build thread!

I agree with you, it's really a crap shoot when you have to order online.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's quite the fish list, guess I'm headed over to your build thread!

I agree with you, it's really a crap shoot when you have to order online.
Didn’t really keep my old build thread up to date but I started a new tank a few months ago. I’m gonna try to keep it updated. I’ll post a picture of the new one. Keep the orange spot in a cube in my bedroom.
18E8B452-7D25-4813-9BA2-375F6874DEE1.jpeg

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update, both anthias are eating the LRS reef frenzy and the .5 mm pellets. Not as excitedly as they eat the calanus and not the larger pieces, but it's something.

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update, obviously not long term by any means.

Both anthias have fully transitioned to the LRS Reef Frenzy. They will pick it straight from the turkey baster and accept even the largest pieces. Neither appears to have lost any weight. I'm still feeding about 10 times a day. I don't own any test kits but had the water checked at a LFS, nitrates were still under 5 somehow. (yes I know the cyano is unsightly, I'm hoping it clears itself up eventually. I don't want to resort to chemical cleanup)

20210617_141708.jpg

Last edited:

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Both anthias have fully transitioned to the LRS Reef Frenzy. They will pick it straight from the turkey baster and accept even the largest pieces. Neither appears to have lost any weight. I'm still feeding about 10 times a day. I don't own any test kits but had the water checked at a LFS, nitrates were still under 5 somehow. (yes I know the cyano is unsightly, I'm hoping it clears itself up eventually. I don't want to resort to chemical cleanup)

20210617_141708.jpg

Good news. Well done!

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20210617_141708.jpg
How are things going? Any updates

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things going? Any updates

Sorry for the delay, I haven't logged in in a while. Both anthias are still doing great. Neither will take pellets but both eat the frozen mix with gusto. We just returned from a short 4 day trip. I was a bit worried about how they'd fare without food but I didn't notice any weight lose when we returned and both were happy to eat. Here's a picture from today (sorry for bad photo quality. They get shy when I get too close and I haven't cleaned the glass since we returned a couple days ago)

20210827_190511.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back