Puffer Diet

90G Mark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120G tank cycling and im getting a Porcupine Puffer in a bout 2 weeks, read alot about things a puffer need and most i can get online. i would like to say i could get it all at my local fish store but.. i cant they are struggling to stay afloat.. now they do carry frozen Krill. and to help my LFS i will buy the krill there. but i need to get like small frozen clams or if there is a feeder snail. any ideas or any direction i can be pointed would be most appreciated.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to an asian market or somewhere you can get frozen seafood. Soak it in Boyd's vitachem etc.

OP
OP
90G Mark

90G Mark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, i do live on the coast. so finding sea food should be easy enough. im mainlyt trying to think of small types of shelled things that he/she can eat to help keep his teeth filed down. came up with clams.. and girlfriend suggested mussels. but great tip on the vitachem. i would have never thought of that.. thanks al;ot

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything you catch freeze it first. Sand fleas are good. I mainly use shell on shrimp, seafood medley, & large nls pellets. They eat nori with the angel & tang as well.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine krill with Tropic Marin Lipovit added for nutrition. I also feed clams on the half shell, LRS Chunky and algae sheets. I feed with custom tweezers I made with diamond dust files glued to the ends which keeps his teeth/beak grinded down nicely.
46DCC54E-2890-4421-8D18-0B3AE24825A9.png
421D1D43-E19B-4ED4-A543-7AE0F934B755.png

OP
OP
90G Mark

90G Mark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine krill with Tropic Marin Lipovit added for nutrition. I also feed clams on the half shell, LRS Chunky and algae sheets. I feed with custom tweezers I made with diamond dust files glued to the ends which keeps his teeth/beak grinded down nicely.
46DCC54E-2890-4421-8D18-0B3AE24825A9.png
421D1D43-E19B-4ED4-A543-7AE0F934B755.png
can you give more detail to the DIY tweezers? im not sure what you mean by diamond dust files? do you mean like a welding file? sry.

OP
OP
90G Mark

90G Mark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything you catch freeze it first. Sand fleas are good. I mainly use shell on shrimp, seafood medley, & large nls pellets. They eat nori with the angel & tang as well.
i cant seem to find a link to Large NLS pellets. i can only find small, actually they tiny pellets. also looks like the ones that i am finding are for ciclids. Im curious is your puffer a fresh water like a Pe Puffer or is it a Marine? please dont get me wrong i am not second guessing you. all the info is most appreciated. I just want to be sure we ar on the same page. and also the sand fleas. was that ment to be funny? i cant imagine trying to catch sand fleas.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you give more detail to the DIY tweezers? im not sure what you mean by diamond dust files? do you mean like a welding file? sry.
I just use regular yellow feeding tweezers and epoxy a 1" or so piece of the file to the outside ends. The file will have to be cut to size. A grinder works good but I'm sure a good pair of snips will work. I rounded the ends before attaching. This is my second pair. The first pair snapped when the puffer got a little too excited. Been using this technique for about 6 years. I always hated the mess of feeding clam shells and when they get bigger they need thicker shells.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant seem to find a link to Large NLS pellets. i can only find small, actually they tiny pellets. also looks like the ones that i am finding are for ciclids. Im curious is your puffer a fresh water like a Pe Puffer or is it a Marine? please dont get me wrong i am not second guessing you. all the info is most appreciated. I just want to be sure we ar on the same page. and also the sand fleas. was that ment to be funny? i cant imagine trying to catch sand fleas.

I wouldnt be talking fw on a salt forum lol. I currently have a narrow line & looking at getting another stars & stripes. I've had several large puffers salt & fresh though.

Pellet wise you can buy large fish formula etc. I use marine, but you could use regular. Sand fleas are what we call mole crabs down here lol

Screenshot_20200812-135709_Samsung Internet.jpg 20200728_150005.jpg 20200623_183547.jpg

OP
OP
90G Mark

90G Mark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt be talking fw on a salt forum lol. I currently have a narrow line & looking at getting another stars & stripes. I've had several large puffers salt & fresh though.

Pellet wise you can buy large fish formula etc. I use marine, but you could use regular. Sand fleas are what we call mole crabs down here lol

Screenshot_20200812-135709_Samsung Internet.jpg 20200728_150005.jpg 20200623_183547.jpg
thank you

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get them a nice clean up crew... :p Joke aside, mine eats only mysis and brine, plus whatever he finds on LR.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back