Puffer Lip Injury

nnhchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately today, our porcupine puffer got into a scrap with our vampire tang after the vampire tang instigated a fight over some food. The puffer got a scalpel to the face and his upper lip is cut fairly deep, however there hasn't been any blood and doesn't seem to be any exposed flesh and he isn't being picked on. He's also acting okay now and is eating just fine. Is there any sort of medicine I should give him with his food to speed up the healing process? Or should I just let nature take its course and keep an eye on him? Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately today, our porcupine puffer got into a scrap with our vampire tang after the vampire tang instigated a fight over some food. The puffer got a scalpel to the face and his upper lip is cut fairly deep, however there hasn't been any blood and doesn't seem to be any exposed flesh and he isn't being picked on. He's also acting okay now and is eating just fine. Is there any sort of medicine I should give him with his food to speed up the healing process? Or should I just let nature take its course and keep an eye on him? Thanks!
These fish are known to glass surf going up and down the glass and causing rub marks and scars as well as sharpening their teeth by gnawing on a rock causing the same
Yes feed with soft meaty foods and if it becomes raw, treat in tank with ruby rally pro or in quarantine with seachem kanaplex

OP
OP
N

nnhchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you could get a photo of it? Sorry to hear.
I don't have the best camera quality so I apologize for any blurriness. He's also just very hard to photograph as he won't sit still, haha. It mainly looks like the upper layer of skin has peeled back from it and he seems unfazed, but I'd rather make sure just in case.
VideoCapture_20240525-183050.jpg
VideoCapture_20240525-183007.jpg
VideoCapture_20240525-183039.jpg

OP
OP
N

nnhchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you’re talking about.

Doesn’t look too bad! Keep an eye on it.

Don’t allow more aggression to continue for long. It will be time to separate.
Good, I'm glad. This puffer means a lot to me so I'm quite upset he got hurt. I'm going be changing how I feed the tank, and if aggression continues after that I'll likely rehome the vamp. Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good, I'm glad. This puffer means a lot to me so I'm quite upset he got hurt. I'm going be changing how I feed the tank, and if aggression continues after that I'll likely rehome the vamp. Thank you!
The main concern with mouth injuries is that they can keep a fish from feeding normally. Since your puffer is still eating, I think it will be fine.

Back