Pufferpunk's 90g Reef

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A professional photographer from my reef club stopped by to take some pics!

Yellow clown goby
clowngoby02.jpg

Hydnophora
galaxia01.jpg

Black clown goby
BlackClownGoby.jpg

Galaxia
galaxia02.jpg

Cocoworm
Cocoworm.jpg

Darth Mauls (color should be redder)
DarthMaulPaly.jpg

Frogspawn
Frogspawn.jpg

Green protopaly
GreenPaly.jpg

Midas
MidasBlennyNips.jpg

Orange Crush
OrangeCrushAcan.jpg

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank!

The pictures look pretty good too. ;) You may want to check the color space, I'll bet he saved them in Adobe RGB, for web posting you will want them to be in sRGB, that should put a little POP back in the colors, especially in the superman and Darth Mauls... Or I could be wrong. ;)

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Nice tank. I don't think you have room for much more and I always think there is room for more coral. :)

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, always room for more zoas! I have other tanks I can move stuff over to.

I took a class with this guy & he uses the grey eyedropper to bring colors back to "natural" in PS. The problem is, since he doesn't have the corals in front of him when he does this at home & if he isn't familiar with the true colors, this is what happens to them. I can't mess with his pics--he's real particular about that, so I just make an explanation for it.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, always room for more zoas! I have other tanks I can move stuff over to.

I took a class with this guy & he uses the grey eyedropper to bring colors back to "natural" in PS. The problem is, since he doesn't have the corals in front of him when he does this at home & if he isn't familiar with the true colors, this is what happens to them. I can't mess with his pics--he's real particular about that, so I just make an explanation for it.

They are very good, I agree. Actually they are in sRGB, I looked. :p Your explanation is a good one, I could see that technique making the colors appear flat. I imported the yellow goby picture into Lightroom, and most of the saturation comes back by setting the black point.

BTW, he uses the same camera I do! He has good taste! :hammer:

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are splendid none the less. We know how great they look. Very nice tank. You must get hours of enjoyment. Is every blenney a hoot to watch and a camera bug?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank looks awesome!! Your corals are not to shabby either! :D Lot's O eye candy!

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank!

The pictures look pretty good too. ;) You may want to check the color space, I'll bet he saved them in Adobe RGB, for web posting you will want them to be in sRGB, that should put a little POP back in the colors, especially in the superman and Darth Mauls... Or I could be wrong. ;)

Poseidon,
My name is Gary Parr and I took the photos of Jeni's tank. I do need to establish that I am not a professional, just an addicted amateur.

I'm curious as to what you are seeing. The images on my Mac are as bright, colorful, and saturated as I'm comfortable posting. Any further adjustments make them look over processed and over saturated. The yellow clown goby was not a very good shot to begin with and I should have made it clear to Jeni that it wasn't worth posting. The reason I processed that image as I did is that any other attempt made the yellows on the fish block up and look bad. I should have simply deleted the image.

I would like to know what it is that you're seeing. Does this image look better to you? It looks fake and over processed to me. I would appreciate your feedback.

http://www.gparr.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/clowngoby02a.jpg

Gary

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary, That goby to my eyes, under my lighting is a bluish-grey color. It's actually named a Black clown goby. I also was wondering about the Superman, as it is bright blue with brilliant red polyps. The Darth Maul is more red than orange.

I hope you don't mind my being critical--I am thrilled that you bothered at all to take such lovely pics of my tanks.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gary! Did you change something in the links, or did something change on my end? I am looking at the images again, and they look GREAT, but I SWEAR the last time I looked at them, the colors looked a bit flat. Tonight however everything looks very good. (Except the superman.)

As for the link, you are right, I don't like that either.

I am using a calibrated Macbook Pro, (calibrating a notebook never really works though) my main computer is a dual display MacPro with a pair of 20" Cinema Displays, over there the images look GREAT!

It must have been something on my end.... *weird*

What got you into photography? Was it the tank, or was it something else?

unseen_dc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank PUFFER,i also love those palys in your avatar,what are they do,and do you have any to frag?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back