Puffers brackish to full salt

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by mandi29221, Jan 31, 2018.

1. mandi29221

mandi29221 Active Member

I have one spotter green puffer and one topaz puffer. I have fully acclimated both to be in 1.023. My question is has anyone eles did this? Going on 6 years in full salt water. Lps said I was crazy, and they will die shortly[​IMG]

lion king likes this.
    Tags:

2. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

First of all, welcome to r2r!! welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif giphy.gif

Over what period of time did you acclimate them to the higher salinity?

3. mandi29221

mandi29221 Active Member

Yes started off in full fresh took 6 months to acclimate to full salt. My lps is saying they aren't full salt. I've had the gsp for 6 years the topaz for 5.5 years now in full salt. Why would a fish store tell me that? Did I mess up somewhere.

4. mort

mort Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

The green spotted (tetraodon nigroviridis) is a brackish water species, the topaz if it's tetraodon fluviatilis can tolerate full marine salinity. The green spotted can be acclimated to full salinity in the same way that mollies can but I'm not sure how it effects their health longterm. I'd guess it would be better off than in freshwater but might reduce its lifespan slightly.
    so I'd say the lfs is part right and part wrong.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I would take what your LFS says with a grain of salt. Those puffers will be fine in full marine.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  6. tripdad

tripdad Well-Known Member

We have a green spotted puffer in full salt for 4 years now. He's a very fun and happy fish.

Lovemyreef2015 and DSC reef like this.
  7. mandi29221

mandi29221 Active Member

Yeah my puffers are super healthy. I showed him pictures from 02 with them and yesterday picture . He said he never been able to do it. And even if he did he would never put a brackish in full salt. I said I know she is fine. She eats more then her partner. They are both active lil things. They brighten up the tank for sure.

8. tripdad

tripdad Well-Known Member

Cool! When i did the research, it showed that they must be converted to full salt by about 1.5 years of age in order to stay healthy as that is what happens in nature. Otherwise their health declines. Yes, definitely a "personality" fish, as are most puffers.

DSC reef likes this.
  9. Dash

Dash Member

165527F7-DBC5-4448-B563-0E2E8F420FCC.jpeg I had my 2 GSP in brackish for about 4 months, then drip acclimated them to full salt over a 24-hour period. They were the reason I finally got the courage to set up a SW tank. Going on 2 years now. They are flourishing in a mixed reef environment. Fantastic fish.

10. mandi29221

mandi29221 Active Member

Same, I had discs and after a bad winter storm no electricity for 1 week I bought 1 puffer from walmart. I notice she wasn't doing good I read up.and started the process. I did it over 6 months. I actually adopted the topaz from petco. They had him in a fresh water tank. I set him uo in a qt tank n did it all over. I love these lil puffers. I had them with some corals no biting, they would knock them down. So I started to actually glue them and it was great, now I'm doing a full reef with them. Hopefully they keep there mouths off lol

scotturban54 likes this.
  11. scotturban54

scotturban54 Active Member

Cool looking fish

Draft saved Draft deleted