Puffers brackish to full salt

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one spotter green puffer and one topaz puffer. I have fully acclimated both to be in 1.023. My question is has anyone eles did this? Going on 6 years in full salt water. Lps said I was crazy, and they will die shortly
bc0ee51e34adee643e5b10e3c4c12eb1.jpg

OP
OP
mandi29221

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes started off in full fresh took 6 months to acclimate to full salt. My lps is saying they aren't full salt. I've had the gsp for 6 years the topaz for 5.5 years now in full salt. Why would a fish store tell me that? Did I mess up somewhere.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green spotted (tetraodon nigroviridis) is a brackish water species, the topaz if it's tetraodon fluviatilis can tolerate full marine salinity. The green spotted can be acclimated to full salinity in the same way that mollies can but I'm not sure how it effects their health longterm. I'd guess it would be better off than in freshwater but might reduce its lifespan slightly.
so I'd say the lfs is part right and part wrong.

OP
OP
mandi29221

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my puffers are super healthy. I showed him pictures from 02 with them and yesterday picture . He said he never been able to do it. And even if he did he would never put a brackish in full salt. I said I know she is fine. She eats more then her partner. They are both active lil things. They brighten up the tank for sure.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! When i did the research, it showed that they must be converted to full salt by about 1.5 years of age in order to stay healthy as that is what happens in nature. Otherwise their health declines. Yes, definitely a "personality" fish, as are most puffers.

OP
OP
mandi29221

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
165527F7-DBC5-4448-B563-0E2E8F420FCC.jpeg
I had my 2 GSP in brackish for about 4 months, then drip acclimated them to full salt over a 24-hour period. They were the reason I finally got the courage to set up a SW tank. Going on 2 years now. They are flourishing in a mixed reef environment. Fantastic fish.
Same, I had discs and after a bad winter storm no electricity for 1 week I bought 1 puffer from walmart. I notice she wasn't doing good I read up.and started the process. I did it over 6 months. I actually adopted the topaz from petco. They had him in a fresh water tank. I set him uo in a qt tank n did it all over. I love these lil puffers. I had them with some corals no biting, they would knock them down. So I started to actually glue them and it was great, now I'm doing a full reef with them. Hopefully they keep there mouths off lol

Back