Pulsing Xenia issues. (Really)

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you ask for parameters what’s going on ? I have 15 mixed corals in my 13.5. Soft lps and sps. All doing amazing. Not an issue but this last week the Xenia went white and has shriveled up. Everything else is fine. So today checked salinity. 1.028 oops. Mis read the water change. So have been slowly brining it back down. Fish everyone is happy. Before this it was growing like a weed. Obviously.
what do you guys think causes this with Xenia. They say Xenia is a good water clarity coral. Only thing I had done a week ago I had doses red slime powder Which it seems to hate. So you think it has a sensitivity to that?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, salinity is a little high. You said this was a softie tank? Watch out for coral warfare, running carbon will solve that issue (if it’s occurring). What’s your feeding schedule like? Xenia like really nutrient rich water

you didn’t mention it, but you didn’t change lighting or flow recently did you?

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Tank is mixed reef. One sps a bunch of lps and softies. Have t changed anything in the tank and feed min once a week with reef roids

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quiet sure why, salinity is a wee bit high. Xenia are one of those softies that will so great in a majority of aquariums, but in some they just do horribly. I experienced this where they refused to do well despite my bests efforts. That could just be it.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It grew and took over my tank for 8 months so I’m not sure why really like I said I have lps and sps all perfect lol

vadajo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your nitrate and phosphates at? Xenia love "dirty" water.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, that’s why I was hesitant to get a captive bred one cause I heard the mouth nose area stays orange.

Whats your nitrate and phosphates at? Xenia love "dirty" water.
Hey. After the Xenia went to mush for a week. They all came back. Since than. They have been moved into a much larger display and are doing fine. Yes. You can’t kill them it seems. Thanks everyone case closed

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a Biocube with softies and lps. All do really well- but my Xenia doesn’t do anything. Doesn’t grow well and doesn’t pulse.
In a mixed reef setting especially with those that contain stony coral, an SPS heavy tank would be a tank where Xenia would not grow as fast as SPS tank setups have as low phosphates and nitrates as possible while soft coral tanks have some phosphates and nitrates above trace amounts. There is likely a chemistry issue occuring such as release of toxins from LPS.
You can try adding a pouch of chemipure elite which will absorb any toxins, and keep nitrate and phosphate in check. Additionally Salinity and Temperature plays a role as well as moderate light and water flow.

Temp - 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate < .04
Phosphate < .05
Ammonia < .03

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a group of xenia that has shriveled up but the other group in the tank is fine. I chalked it up to lower nutrients in the tank after I upgraded my dying fuge light and the chaeto started growing like crazy again. I am not too concerned about it. Everything else is happy.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back